Briess Aromatic Malt? Effectively "Dark Munich"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pythonaut

Reaction score
I'm looking to make a dunkel or bock with a large portion of "Dark Munich" malt, generally considered Munich 20L. However, while they do have Avangard Munich 10L, the only "Dark" munich malt they have is Breiss' Aromatic Malt.

From what I can tell from there website, (http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Assets/PDFs/Briess_PISB_AromaticMunichMalt.pdf), their "Aromatic" malt is a munich-style malt at 20L. From what I can tell, it's effectively Munich 20L.

Does anyone have any experience with this malt? If so, how would you rate this malt? Would it make a good "Dark Munich 20L" substitute?

I am slightly wary of using a Briess munich malt, since I've heard mixed reviews. Perhaps their Aromatic malt isn't as bad?

"Dark Munich" in regards to german-style beers is generally not that dark/kilned/20L. Typically, a german "dark munich" malt will be in the realm of 9-13L. Avangard Dark Munich would be a better choice than Briess Munich 20L, IMO. German light munich has sufficient diastatic power to convert itself plus more; german dark munich has enough diastatic power to convert only itself (even that is going to be maltster-dependant).

I have used Briess (Aromatic) Munich 20L and it best resembles a german aromatic malt plus some sweetness. It's a nice malt but better used with restraint (<10% give or take). It brings some toasty notes not typically found in Munich malts. Additionally, it does not have the diastatic power to convert even itself so you will have to supplement with higher diastatic malts to cover this malt if you decide to use it.

I would personally choose german malts for the beers in question. I would not shy away from light munich either for those styles - I think a blend of light and dark munich would work well in a bock.

Briess is an excellent maltster and their malts are top quality - it's just not a german maltster.

My very first brew (seems like forever ago) called for some Munich 20 and being a variety that my LHBS did not carry, the manager advised that I sub with Aromatic (not sure which maltster). Being a newbie and not knowing one way or the other, I went with it and the brew turned out very good. A few years on and being quite a bit more familiar with malts these days, I would agree that Aromatic = Munich 20.

Thanks for the advice.

Briess also recommends a maximum of 50% in a grain bill. I've seen people doing Dunkels with 100% Munich 20L. Do you think it would be reasonable to do 50% Munich 10L and 50% Aromatic?

Also, does anyone know the difference between Briess Aromatic and Best Malz Melonoidin? They have very similar stats, and Best Malz shows a usage of up to 70% for their Melonoidin malt...

Thanks for the advice.

Briess also recommends a maximum of 50% in a grain bill. I've seen people doing Dunkels with 100% Munich 20L. Do you think it would be reasonable to do 50% Munich 10L and 50% Aromatic?

Also, does anyone know the difference between Briess Aromatic and Best Malz Melonoidin? They have very similar stats, and Best Malz shows a usage of up to 70% for their Melonoidin malt...

Those folks doing 100% Munich 20L were not using Briess Aromatic Munich 20L, otherwise they were suffering from incomplete conversion, reduced efficiency, and cloudy beer. Malts are very maltster specific - even when the same name is used.

As for the 50% Munich 10L and 50% Aromatic question: It should convert as long as you do a quality job during the mash (time, temp steps, conversion checking). Brands will make a big difference here.

Unfortunately, one malters "Munich" will not be like anothers "Munich" (or Vienna, or Pale Ale Malt, or ...). Briess Aromatic Munich 20L will probably have some basic qualities in common with Best Malz Melanoidin, but the nuance will be different. One will likely be more toasty while the other is more buscuity/breadcrusty. It really comes down to using the malt in a beer to get an idea of what it brings to the beer.

Aromatic, Melanoidin, Honey Malt are all supposed to be in the same ballpark when in comes to beer brewing but I can definitively say that they produce distinctly different beers.

The same could be said for: Best Malz Munich/Munich Dark, Avangard Light/Dark Munich, Weyermann Munich I/II, Briess Aromatic Munich 20L, Crisp Munich 20L, etc... Keep in mind that color ratings vary by malters in terms of what scale they are using EBC, ASBC, Lovibond, and EBC may show a color of 20 whereas the Lovibond equivalent would be <10.

Durst is a German maltster, and offers munich 20 and 40, using EBC. Lovibond values put those malts at roughly 8 and 15.

Well, Avangard Munich 10L has a diastatic power of 40, Briess Aromatic has a DP of 20, so 50/50 should, just barely, be able to convert properly...

I think I'll try a test 2.5 gal batch of this this weekend and see how it goes. Potential malt bomb? Likely!

Just a general idea of the recipe:

Volume: 2.5 gallons
3lb Munich 10L (Avangard Malz, Germany)
3lb Aromatic 20L (Briess, US)
~20 IBUs of Bravo (My bulk bittering hops)
WLP029 Kolsch yeast

I'll probably skip out on any aromatic or flavor hops entirely.
This should end up at about 5% ABV...

Latest posts

Back