Brewzilla Gen4 Discussion/Tips Talk

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
0.035 inch is 0.88 mm that is much to fine for an all in one recurculation system. You will end with a stuck mash garanteed. You will learn from experians.
My maltzilla set at 0.75 mm no stuck mashes or sparges in my all in one.
But you get a very different type of crush with that mill. Grain contents crushed and husks broken but intact.
I use a few ml of glucanase if sticky adjuncts. Only time I had troubles was when I crushed rye to the perfect size to block up the holes in bottom of malt pipe. Majority of time run through is too quick. Mash efficiency 89 percent.

Yes, go for a minimum of 1.30 mm. Your effecienty will be between 75 and 80%.
For you it is 0.051. Trust me in this.
After mash in I give it a 5 à 10 minute rest. Then start your profile and adjust the recirculation flow with the valve. When you want to stire only stire the upper 2/3 of your grainbuild. The lower 1/3 is your filterbed. Only brake that when you realy have a stuck mash.

Manualy inspection of your crush is the best way. The husks intact is oké, and not to much flower and don’t forget the rice huls.

Has anyone done the suggested "re-plumb" of the pump so the wort runs to the tap before the pump? Kegland's manual suggests this so you can drain the boiler in case of a pump blockage. I made the change, but haven't brewed with this yet, but (duh!) just realized that this eliminates pumping through the tap into the fermenter. I suppose one could pump through the recirc arm into the fermenter, but seems circuitous... Anyway, just wondered what users' experiences were regarding the pump plumbing alteration... (page 12 of the manual).

Yes, go for a minimum of 1.30 mm. Your effecienty will be between 75 and 80%.
For you it is 0.051. Trust me in this.
After mash in I give it a 5 à 10 minute rest. Then start your profile and adjust the recirculation flow with the valve. When you want to stire only stire the upper 2/3 of your grainbuild. The lower 1/3 is your filterbed. Only brake that when you realy have a stuck mash.
I would say "don't take anyone's mill setting advice as gospel." Ok to look at a bunch of suggestions from different people to pick a starting point, but the crush, and how well it works in your system, is going to depend on the mill type, roller diameter, and RPM's, as well as the gap settings. Best to start at the higher range for gaps and work lower, to see just how fine you can go before things start plugging up.

Something to keep in mind is that you can't convert starch to sugar until after the starch is gelatinized, and time it takes to fully gelatinize the grits depends on the grit size, as well as temperature. Bigger grits take longer to gelatinize, and thus you need a longer mash to approach/achieve 100% conversion efficiency.

Brew on :mug:

I would say "don't take anyone's mill setting advice as gospel." Ok to look at a bunch of suggestions from different people to pick a starting point, but the crush, and how well it works in your system, is going to depend on the mill type, roller diameter, and RPM's, as well as the gap settings. Best to start at the higher range for gaps and work lower, to see just how fine you can go before things start plugging up.

Something to keep in mind is that you can't convert starch to sugar until after the starch is gelatinized, and time it takes to fully gelatinize the grits depends on the grit size, as well as temperature. Bigger grits take longer to gelatinize, and thus you need a longer mash to approach/achieve 100% conversion efficiency.

I'm taking the approach of backing off a bit more each time until the mash no longer sticks. I really want to use the system as is

Has anybody been able to successfully use the Alerts function in the profiles you can program in rapt? The temp and time alerts don’t seem to work. Am only getting alerts when a profile finishes running, no matter whether I ask for one or not….

I'm taking the approach of backing off a bit more each time until the mash no longer sticks. I really want to use the system as is
You can greatly enhance the efficiency of your trial and error search for the perfect crush by doing a variation of the binary search algorithm.

1. Start by backing off a bit more than you think you need to
  2. If you don't get a stuck mash, then go to 3, otherwise go back to 1
  3. Next trial crush halfway between the setting in 1 and your previous setting
  4. If you get a stuck mash, back off to half way between the last setting that worked, and the current setting. If you didn't get stuck, then try half way between the current setting and the last setting that stuck.
  5. Repeat 4 until you are satisfied.

You can greatly enhance the efficiency of your trial and error search for the perfect crush by doing a variation of the binary search algorithm.

1. Start by backing off a bit more than you think you need to
  2. If you don't get a stuck mash, then go to 3, otherwise go back to 1
  3. Next trial crush halfway between the setting in 1 and your previous setting
  4. If you get a stuck mash, back off to half way between the last setting that worked, and the current setting. If you didn't get stuck, then try half way between the current setting and the last setting that stuck.
  5. Repeat 4 until you are satisfied.
Another option is to crush some of the malt at the other setting and add it to your original mash setting crush, it modifies the crush percentage change less depending on the proportions.
But as @doug293cz says grain size, grain type, hydration, grain age, speed of milling etc will all affect the outcome and a visual or sieve check with a real world test on effect dials in the best results.

Has anyone done the suggested "re-plumb" of the pump so the wort runs to the tap before the pump? Kegland's manual suggests this so you can drain the boiler in case of a pump blockage. I made the change, but haven't brewed with this yet, but (duh!) just realized that this eliminates pumping through the tap into the fermenter. I suppose one could pump through the recirc arm into the fermenter, but seems circuitous... Anyway, just wondered what users' experiences were regarding the pump plumbing alteration... (page 12 of the manual).
I did this out of the box after hearing about the challenges some were having with pump blockages.

It seems to work well. I like being able to empty all the water out at the end of a brew day simply by opening the valve and tipping the unit sideways a little versus having to flip it upside down like on the Gen 3. I have a hose with a male camlock that replaces the recirculation arm when it is time to cool and send wort to the fermenter. If the internal pump ever flakes out or get plugged, I can still hook up my other brew pump to move the wort.

Has anybody been able to successfully use the Alerts function in the profiles you can program in rapt? The temp and time alerts don’t seem to work. Am only getting alerts when a profile finishes running, no matter whether I ask for one or not….
I was able to get this working with a couple of different triggers with the newest firmware.I attached a couple of screenshots below. The first is a temperature trigger and the second is a step end trigger (mash at 170*F for 10 minutes).

You have either the Android or Apple app installed, otherwise you won't get push notifications.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230413-134612~2.png
    Screenshot_20230413-134612~2.png
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230413-134555~2.png
    Screenshot_20230413-134555~2.png
    63.3 KB · Views: 0
I did this out of the box after hearing about the challenges some were having with pump blockages.

It seems to work well. I like being able to empty all the water out at the end of a brew day simply by opening the valve and tipping the unit sideways a little versus having to flip it upside down like on the Gen 3. I have a hose with a male camlock that replaces the recirculation arm when it is time to cool and send wort to the fermenter. If the internal pump ever flakes out or get plugged, I can still hook up my other brew pump to move the wort.
Thanks for your response. Good to know I'm not alone. I was planning on making the hose and having my spare pump as a backup like you do.

Anyone done this on the 35L? Thinking about doing the same thing but pics would be welcome.

Thanks for your response. Good to know I'm not alone. I was planning on making the hose and having my spare pump as a backup like you do.

Looks like morebeer has the hed back in stock. Also noticed that the rapt Bluetooth thermometer is no longer listed as out of stock, but, it's not available for purchase when added on to a brewzilla order. If both are available tomorrow I'm going to bite the bullet :)

I just widened the gap to .039 which is .991mm. Is that too fine still?
I am running mine at .050 and getting just barely flowable mashes with my BZ 3.1.1. Than again, my mill is a Maltzilla and they say it works a bit differently than most mills (I don't know what the difference is, it just appears that they use a different type of surface to do the crushing), so that may make a difference. I am actually going to loosen mine up a tad for the next brew as I would prefer to have it flow just a bit better.

I am running mine at .050 and getting just barely flowable mashes with my BZ 3.1.1. Than again, my mill is a Maltzilla and they say it works a bit differently than most mills (I don't know what the difference is, it just appears that they use a different type of surface to do the crushing), so that may make a difference. I am actually going to loosen mine up a tad for the next brew as I would prefer to have it flow just a bit better.
I have a hullwrecker from northern Brewer. I won't be testing this crush the next couple of brews as the grains I have are precrushed. Using grains from a local brewery the next few batches to see if there are still recirculation issues. If the hed is still available from morebeer tomorrow I'll be ordering that also.

I was able to get this working with a couple of different triggers with the newest firmware.I attached a couple of screenshots below. The first is a temperature trigger and the second is a step end trigger (mash at 170*F for 10 minutes).

You have either the Android or Apple app installed, otherwise you won't get push notifications.
Are you getting the temp alerts? I’ve done troubleshooting with KegLand probably dozen times but the temp alerts don’t work. I’m on newest firmware, other than temp calibration machine is at default settings. No luck, over and over.

was specifically told the alert you show first for temp would not work. That the step had to end when the temp is hit, that’s the way to trigger an alert.

Try 0.053 thats 1.35 mm metric and rice huls. No problem what do ever with my 65L gen4.

I put in an order for the HED this morning. It should be here by the end of next week. Will be putting it through it's paces on a Hornidal Hazy next weekend. Wanted an easy, toss everything in at whirlpool, and throw the fermenter in a dark room temperature place batch to try this on ;) The bluetooth thermometer still was not available. I'm probably going to just put the HED through it's paces over the next couple of months and wait for the bluetooth thermometer supply to stabilize/normalize before biting the bullet. In the mean time I want to keep working on the recirculation issues so maybe just maybe there can be a ballpark crush guide line for these Gen 4's lol @JoepH do you stir during the mash and if so how often? Do you get low efficiency with that crush? I hit up TheHomebrewNetwork on youtube and they recommended backing all the way off to .054. That seems a little much but it may not be in the long run.

I put in an order for the HED this morning. It should be here by the end of next week. Will be putting it through it's paces on a Hornidal Hazy next weekend. Wanted an easy, toss everything in at whirlpool, and throw the fermenter in a dark room temperature place batch to try this on ;) The bluetooth thermometer still was not available. I'm probably going to just put the HED through it's paces over the next couple of months and wait for the bluetooth thermometer supply to stabilize/normalize before biting the bullet. In the mean time I want to keep working on the recirculation issues so maybe just maybe there can be a ballpark crush guide line for these Gen 4's lol @JoepH do you stir during the mash and if so how often? Do you get low efficiency with that crush? I hit up TheHomebrewNetwork on youtube and they recommended backing all the way off to .054. That seems a little much but it may not be in the long run.
Do you have a link to the Bluetooth thermometer? I can’t find any listings for it on Morebeer or Williams.

Do you have a link to the Bluetooth thermometer? I can’t find any listings for it on Morebeer or Williams.
I went here

https://www.morebeer.com/products/35l-brewzilla-gen-4-110120v.html
and noticed it's selectable and no longer listed as out of stock

1681484506292.png

I couldn't find a direct link so for giggles I added a brewzilla with the bluetooth thermometer to the cart

1681484559478.png

This appears to be the direct link

https://www.morebeer.com/view_product/61611
Either way I'm going to wait on that until I get the crush size issue resolved and run quite a few batches with the HED. I want to change one variable at a time.

My mill i have on a gap of 0.053 inch (1.35 mm) i mash in with the pump and heating of. After that it get 5 minutes rest. Then I stire again. After a few minutes I start circulating without the top plate. After 10 minutes I stire the upper 2/3 of the mash. The lower 1/3 ( filter) I don’t touch. I regulate my circulation with the valve. Iff it runs smootly I don’t stire anymore. Efficienty always between 75 and 80%.

My mill i have on a gap of 0.053 inch (1.35 mm) i mash in with the pump and heating of. After that it get 5 minutes rest. Then I stire again. After a few minutes I start circulating without the top plate. After 10 minutes I stire the upper 2/3 of the mash. The lower 1/3 ( filter) I don’t touch. I regulate my circulation with the valve. Iff it runs smootly I don’t stire anymore. Efficienty always between 75 and 80%.
I'm going to give that a go once the pre crushed grains are used up! It's almost like you and TheHomebrewNetwork might be on to something hahaha

Edit: I just ran about a half pound of malt through the grain mill and it looks much closer to the brewery grind than my previous grind. Hopefully that's all it was :)

Last edited:
I'm going to give that a go once the pre crushed grains are used up! It's almost like you and TheHomebrewNetwork might be on to something hahaha

Edit: I just ran about a half pound of malt through the grain mill and it looks much closer to the brewery grind than my previous grind. Hopefully that's all it was :)
Much experiance!😂😂😂 Don’t forget your rice huls.

Are you getting the temp alerts? I’ve done troubleshooting with KegLand probably dozen times but the temp alerts don’t work. I’m on newest firmware, other than temp calibration machine is at default settings. No luck, over and over.

was specifically told the alert you show first for temp would not work. That the step had to end when the temp is hit, that’s the way to trigger an alert.
Yes, the alerts are working now.

The step does not have to end, unless that is what you asked it to do. For the first step, I set it to move to the next step only after pressed a button on the controller.

There is no way to export an .xml or other file for a profile, so listed below is the logic for how I programed each step and alert. Hopefully there will be something in here that will help you figure out why it is not working for you.

Heat Strike Water
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 148.1°F until I end the step on the device (if set to 148 the portal will change to 147.9 when you save)
  • Alert when the temperature reaches 147.9°F
    • Time to Mash in
145 - Step 1
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 145°F for 30 mins
  • The timer will start when when Temperature reaches 145°F
  • Alert when the step ends
    • Heating to 155*F
155 - Step 2
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 155.1°F for 30 mins (if set to 155 the portal will change to 154.9 when you save)
  • The timer will start when when Temperature reaches 155.1°F
    • Heating to 170*F
170 - Mash out
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 170.1°F for 10 mins (the portal adds .1*F when set to 170 when you save)
  • The timer will start when when Temperature reaches 170.1°F
    • Time to Sparge
Hold 170 to Start Sparging
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 170.1°F until I end the step on the device
Raise to Pre Boil
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 209.1°F until I end the step on the device (if set to 209 the portal will change to 208.9 when you save)
  • Alert when the temperature reaches 208.9°F
    • Switch to Manual Control and Reduce Power to 70%

I'm sticking with a brewbag. I'm currently using an oversized one that I used for my brew kettle in the past, while waiting for the BrewBag people to make me one to specifically fit the 35 liter Gen 4 Brewzilla pipe. I hope to receive it within the next week or two. I use the brewbag twice during each brew - once while in the Brewzilla pipe, and again while in my fermenter when I transfer the wort after boiling. This removes most of the hop, hot, and cold break trub.
Slightly late to the party (hadn't checked the forum for a while!). Question on the brew bag: did you use it outside the malt pipe or inside? I used one for the first time on my Last brew outside the mash pipe and got fairly good results.

Slightly late to the party (hadn't checked the forum for a while!). Question on the brew bag: did you use it outside the malt pipe or inside? I used one for the first time on my Last brew outside the mash pipe and got fairly good results.
I used the over-sized one inside the malt pipe. But I now have a one that fits proper. I definitely intend to use it outside the malt pipe. This should not only allow for better circulation, but also allows the circulating sparge arm to fit better inside the pipe without getting tangled in the bag.

Leaving the bag in for the boil after removing the malt pipe also allows one to remove almost all of the hop, hot break, and cold break trub before adding to the fermenter. It should come out quite clean. Leaving the bag outside the malt pipe is the ideal solution.

Last edited:

I have the kegland extended malt pipe that doesn't have any holes on the bottom of the pipe itself and have been using about the same process as you. Crankenstein 3GT .055 gap, condition the grain and mill at 50 rpm (this has worked without rice hulls). I have 2 whirlpool ports on my kettle, one high and one low, so I found that if I recirculate just the wort outside of the pipe for 15 minutes solely to maintain mash temperature and let the grain bed settle of its own accord I can begin to recirculate through the grain bed without issues after it settled naturally. It took quite a few brews to get it right, I'm used to 15 inch wide mashtuns so I had a steep learning curve switching to a very narrow & tall grain bed.

Yes, the alerts are working now.

The step does not have to end, unless that is what you asked it to do. For the first step, I set it to move to the next step only after pressed a button on the controller.

There is no way to export an .xml or other file for a profile, so listed below is the logic for how I programed each step and alert. Hopefully there will be something in here that will help you figure out why it is not working for you.

Heat Strike Water
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 148.1°F until I end the step on the device (if set to 148 the portal will change to 147.9 when you save)
  • Alert when the temperature reaches 147.9°F
    • Time to Mash in
145 - Step 1
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 145°F for 30 mins
  • The timer will start when when Temperature reaches 145°F
    • Heating to 155*F
155 - Step 2
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 155.1°F for 30 mins (if set to 155 the portal will change to 154.9 when you save)
  • The timer will start when when Temperature reaches 155.1°F
    • Heating to 170*F
170 - Mash out
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 170.1°F for 10 mins (the portal adds .1*F when set to 170 when you save)
  • The timer will start when when Temperature reaches 170.1°F
    • Time to Sparge
Hold 170 to Start Sparging
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 170.1°F until I end the step on the device
Raise to Pre Boil
  • Maintain or raise/lower the temperature at 209.1°F until I end the step on the device (if set to 209 the portal will change to 208.9 when you save)
  • Alert when the temperature reaches 208.9°F
    • Switch to Manual Control and Reduce Power to 70%
Awesome. Thx. The two alerts I actually care about are pretry close to some of yours. I want a temp alert around 200ish so I know when boil is about to hit. And an alert when mash out starts so I know when to come down and pull grains, sparge if necessary, etc.
after still having no luck I got the KegLand folks to produce a step mash profile with alerts in it, so between the two hopefully I can get it working beyond just telling me profiles have ended

I used the over-sized one inside the malt pipe. But I now have a one that fits proper. I definitely intend to use it outside the malt pipe. This should not only allow for better circulation, but also allows the circulating sparge arm to fit better inside the pipe without getting tangled in the bag.

Leaving the bag in for the boil after removing the malt pipe also allows one to remove almost all of the hop, hot break, and cold break trub before adding to the fermenter. It should come out quite clean. Leaving the bag outside the malt pipe is the ideal solution.
Ah! Interesting. I did a hazy where all hops were only at Whirlpool and so I just used a spider but I'll consider leaving the bag in. Thank you!

hold up.
just so i have this right- you have left the bag in for the boil? or this is an idea that you are theorizing "It should come out quite clean" and plan to try?

i ask because one of the things i've noticed is that while alot of trub gets caught on the false bottom plate, a good amount still goes through the little holes and winds up in fermenter. im tempted to pick up one of the bottom heat dispersal plates that are supposed to be coming soon, but the question had occurred to me if this would help or worsen the trub blocking ability? i'm kind of just guessing it might help.

what i have noticed is that no matter how long i let the wort settle, how slowly i pull the chiller to not disturb the trub, i always wind up with quite a bit in fermenter. if i recall correctly, there's about a half gallon of volume to the false bottom, so i've been toying with the idea of upping wort volume and then drilling out a hole for a ball valve that sits just above the false bottom and using that to tap my nice clear wort sitting on top. or maybe even go old school and get a siphon to pull from the top....

This is
hold up.
just so i have this right- you have left the bag in for the boil? or this is an idea that you are theorizing "It should come out quite clean" and plan to try?

i ask because one of the things i've noticed is that while alot of trub gets caught on the false bottom plate, a good amount still goes through the little holes and winds up in fermenter. im tempted to pick up one of the bottom heat dispersal plates that are supposed to be coming soon, but the question had occurred to me if this would help or worsen the trub blocking ability? i'm kind of just guessing it might help.

what i have noticed is that no matter how long i let the wort settle, how slowly i pull the chiller to not disturb the trub, i always wind up with quite a bit in fermenter. if i recall correctly, there's about a half gallon of volume to the false bottom, so i've been toying with the idea of upping wort volume and then drilling out a hole for a ball valve that sits just above the false bottom and using that to tap my nice clear wort sitting on top. or maybe even go old school and get a siphon to pull from the top....
It is what I plan to do since I only got the fitted bag recently, since my last brew, but it is something a friend has already been doing numerous times. In fact, he doesn't use the pipe at all - just the bag. I wish to use the pipe as well so that I can sparge it easier than trying it in the bag. There is no issue doing it this way at all. It should catch almost all the grain and trub that goes through the large holes in the screens. My friend's beer comes out quite clear as it goes into the fermenter, clearer than by any other means.

Previously, when I used the bag in the pipe, I drained the wort and boiled it separately as I cannot boil indoors (have no windows or vents that will work) and I only have 3 or 4 months when I can boil outdoors with the Brewzilla because of the wnter temperature. So during these cool months I use the Brewzilla for mashing indoors, but boil the wort separately outdoors in a boiling vessel. I then use the same brew bag, insert it in my fermenter, and drain the wort into it through the bag after boiling. The wort in the fermenter is almost totally clean with no trub. This is factual based on my own experience.

Thus the ideal solution is to insert the bag in the Brewzilla and then add the pipe inside of the bag. This allows lots of free circulation and also catches almost all of the grain, and later hot and cold break and hops. I guarantee it will work better than any other approach - clear, trubless wort in your fermenter. As mentioned, this is not theoretical but based on the practice of my friend and I.

It is also unique - but I just can't understand why nobody else has thought of this easy, logical and most effective approach. Just because it's currently unique doesn't mean that it isn't possibly the very best approach. Creative thinking is just something that seems a little rare these days, and people are addicted to ritual approaches that are not necessarily ideal. I'm not taking full credit for this approach, as my friend is the person who started me thinking along these lines.

Try it - I guarantee success.

Last edited:
I did a brew today and ran the system with Alerts and they worked for me. Whe you get the alerts do you see them here:
1681646583354.png

If you see the alerts in your RAPT log in as show above then the Portal is getting the alert. If you go into your settings and make sure these are selected:
1681646763401.png

Then if you want to get push notifications you must have the app installed on your phone and also make sure the app is alowing the push notifications.

I should also say we have seen some bad profiles where the alert is not triggered within the step. So I would look at your alerts and make sure that it definitely gets triggered in that step. We have various triggers for the alerts but if you just want an easy way to set it up just set the alert to trigger when the step starts or ends. That's probably the easiest way to setup the trigger.

Using the hed for the first time today. Have to say it's awesome seeing way more stabilized temperatures! Going to breakdown and order the Bluetooth thermometer if it's still available at morebeer in a week or two. Trying my hand at a no boil hornidal neipa today

Also wanted to chime in and say that a .054 mm gap with 5% rice hulls seems to have fixed the recirculation issues!

Also wanted to chime in and say that a .054 mm gap with 5% rice hulls seems to have fixed the recirculation issues!
0.054 mm = ~0.002", that's a pretty narrow gap!. I believe you have misplaced a decimal point or gotten your units wrong.

Each mill works differently and in my opinion you are probably better off looking at the grain rather than setting a specific gap. I generally just start with it fully open then gradually decrease the gap until I get every piece of grain split open.

The gap will vary depending on the sheering effect that you mill has, the sharpness and shape of your knurling, speed etc. So what works on one mill might not be the same for another mill.

I rarely use rice hulls unless I am using something really thick like lots of oats, rye or rice.

Each mill works differently and in my opinion you are probably better off looking at the grain rather than setting a specific gap. I generally just start with it fully open then gradually decrease the gap until I get every piece of grain split open.

The gap will vary depending on the sheering effect that you mill has, the sharpness and shape of your knurling, speed etc. So what works on one mill might not be the same for another mill.

I rarely use rice hulls unless I am using something really thick like lots of oats, rye or rice.
What mill and gap are you using? I'm using the 2 roller Hullwrecker from Northern Brewer

Back