BrewTroller DX2 died last year, replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My DX1 BrewTroller died last year and I am looking for a replacement. I thought it was going to be the BrewPi Sparc, but after talking with Elco that may not work for my set up. I have two brew chambers, upright freezers with Blichmann sanitary (triclamp setup) 14 gallon fermenters with a heating/circulation fan that gave me 1degree control capability with the original Brewpi RaspberryPi. Here is my process problem; if I have 1 fermenter full an one empty I cannot connect/utilize the BrewPi to make a batch to fill the empty fermenter (it cannot do 2 processes). So it looks like I take the old BrewPi back to fermentation only and find another controller setup for brewing. The BrewTroller site looks like someone is trying to resurrect it and I have sent them an email to see if I have any options relative to repair/replacement of the DX2. Other than that I only see two options out there which is a major rebuild to my control system. Those are the BCS-642 or a straight PID manual system.
If anyone knows of other options please share as I would like to start brewing again by June 2016.
Thank you for your time and support in advance.

Another option: You could run StrangeBrew Elsinore on a Pi, with your BrewPi running on a second one.

At $35 for a new Pi, you might as well build separate system for brewing and fermenting, to keep things as separate and reliable as possible. I guess that much of the major electrical hardware could be transplanted to a Pi based controller from the DX2.

Back