BrewSteel: BadAss Brewstands™

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGingerelli

Reaction score
Hey fellow homebrewers,

I just wanted to share a few pictures of my BrewSteel: BadAss BrewStand™ that I am having built right now by Kurt at BrewSteel.

It is going to be a modified gravity two tier system, with a direct fired recirculation mash. It will have a control panel with my mash temp control, my hlt temp, and all my switches for my pump. It will have a furnace control valve controlling mash temp. A built in water filter, plumbed for water at all three keggles. I will continue to post more pictures as the build progresses.

If your interested in BrewSteels: BadAssBrewStands I highly suggest checking out there website or giving Kurt a call. He has guided me along the path of the do's and dont's when it comes to a stand. He is highly knowledgeable in all things brewing and is a great guy. He wants to build a stand for you that caters to the way you brew, unlike other stand where what you see in the catalog is what you get, if you want something in one spot he will put it there and if you want a different configuration he can do it. All in all if you want your own personal brewing stand Kurt is the man to call. This is from his ad:

"Imagine: A brew stand built just for you and the way you brew. Custom, one of a kind as unique as you!

Custom one off brewstands built to order. Built for brewers by brewers. Tell us how you brew and we build it YOUR way. HERMS, RIMS, Batch Sparge, No Sparge, gravity, full digital control... Our philosophy: each brewer has their unique style and their stand should compliment that style.

When I went to Kurt I wasn't sure what style stand I wanted and this is what we came up with. The top tier will be my HLT and my Mash Tun and Boil will be located on the bottom two burners. It will also include a march pump, plate chiller, water filter, and lots of plumbing. More pictures to come...

Check out the pictures and feel free to comment or contact me on getting ahold of Kurt.

BrewSteel's website: www.brewsteel.com

BadassLogoWhiteSmall.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

Here are a couple pictures of other stands he has built:

RedStandwithKettle.png

BusseStand.png

the site is up right now... so there are a few photos to view

Turn around is based on what you want built: from 2 weeks to a month currently
At BrewSteel we have a different philosophy: we don't have a selection of brew stands, rather, we are a custom shop building what ever the brewer wants. We believe every brewer has his/her unique way of brewing and we want to match that need/want. Think of us as a custom hot rod shop. Each stand is tailored to the individual brewer.

We listen to you, make suggestions, write up a proposal and work with each customer.

NO COOKIE CUTTERS!
As you can see from the above stand, the customer wanted a full single tier system but lacks space. So we design a system that fits in the space allotted and will still have all the features he wants.
This system will be a direct fired digitally controlled system...

Man, I'd waste so much money with this. It takes me about 5 brewdays with a new equipment setup before I'm happy with the design, (changing stuff between each brewday). I guess I'm not good at "planning"...my builds take on a more empirical, organic approach.

Good thing I'm an engineer -_-

Ingenious pump mount/shield idea. Instead of having a mount and a shield, you incorporated it all into one. Love it! Too bad I already have a stand, otherwise this would be very tempting.

I guess I'm not good at "planning"...my builds take on a more empirical, organic approach.

Good thing I'm an engineer -_-

Ingenious pump mount/shield idea.

I like the design of the teal-ish colored gravity tower (of course I would like a different color ;)). I have an electric system, how much would it be for the gravity tower without any burner hardware? I might keep one burner in the second highest tier for a direct fired mashtun...

Could you let me know the cost for the stripped down version? and a version with 1 burner? (PM or similar)

Also, do you list the dimensions (height between platforms and width of platforms)? I have a variety of pot sizes, ranging 22'' wide and one really tall one; would want to make sure they fit properly. Thanks!

Cidah,
A basic unit with no burners would be $600
As for dimension, each unit is built to order. The dimensions are what the customer requests.
The water manifold is $110 and a single burner would be $100 with each additional burner being $50.

RGingerelli's original post quotes are company philosophy on building to suit.

Thanks for the info!! Xmas is coming and I think I know a way to clear up some space in the garage. Really appreciate your help.

Is that $600 shipped? I noticed you are in CA and I am in NY.

The water manifold looks interesting as well....

Your philosophy about custom fitment sure makes the random pot size issue easier to manage!

Cidah,
Shipping to NY would be about $200.
Being a small custom shop, we don't have the volume to obtain a discount on shipping.... yet

Wow, that rig IS badass!

I will probably not do gravity when I build mine, but I may look into stealing some dimensions. I like the layout! I have a large enough garage, but unfortunately, I have a lot of stuff in it, so I'm also limited in space.

Hey Everybody!

I just wanted to post some updated pictures from when I stopped by to see Kurt at BrewSteel today, as you can see plumping for the water supply (with water filter) as well as gas has started as well as the pump being mounted with valve manifold for recirculation and cooling (plate chiller hasnt been mounted yet) and the burner control valve.

Take notice on how Kurt was able to tuck a lot of the plumbing neatly in the middle section. These pictures also show the keggles, which look awesome on the stand.

I couldn't be happier, the stand is looking amazing!!

I will keep the thread up to date with pictures as they come in. Powder coat and control panel pictures should be next up.

I cant wait to brew on my BadAss BrewStand system!!!

P8230373.jpg

P8230371.jpg
P8230369.jpg

P8230367.jpg

P8230365.jpg

P8230363.jpg

P8230362.jpg

P8230358.jpg

Cheers!!!

Just wanted to post and let everyone know that finished pictures will be posted soon.

The stand went to be sandblasted and powder coated today with a turn around time of 7-10 days...

Then I get to brew!!! I havent brewed in almost 2 months

Well my stand is still at powdercoating but I did recieve some pictures of my keggles from Kurt at BrewSteel today. Check them out, there are also some pictures of the control board for the stand. Should have some complete pictures of the entire stand by next weekend!!!!

P1010442.jpg

P1010444.jpg

P1010432.jpg

P1010429.jpg

P1010426.jpg

Cheers!

so... question for y'all...
I am think about building theme beer stands, sort of like what they do on American Chopper. Thoughts?

so... question for y'all...
I am think about building theme beer stands, sort of like what they do on American Chopper. Thoughts?

concentrate on building your business, leave the fluff for customers who request it.build a solid product for an affordable price and you cant go wrong.

...where in kali are you at?

concentrate on building your business, leave the fluff for customers who request it.build a solid product for an affordable price and you cant go wrong.

Located in Concord (S.F. East Bay)
NEED more business! Things are way too slow... :(

Every stand we build is custom, less profit but every customer is very happy.

I dreamed last night that I was assembling this stand... I'm anxious to see this stand done and brew with Gingerelli :mug:

Stand came back from powder coating today... wrong fricken color!!! :mad:
Back it went... this Friday? Hopefully?

Brewed on my BadAss BrewStand with Kurt yesterday and let me tell ya it was awesome. We brewed up a 10 gallon batch of an Imperial IPA Recipe Kurt created called Over The Hop 2. I have lots of pictures to post but here's a quick one just off my phone till I have a chance to load them all. The systems is amazing.

image-106535792.jpg

More pictures to come

Back