BrewStand Build..gas manifold question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HokieHomeBrew

Reaction score
I am having a welder build a single tier stainless stand for me. The problem is he is not a brewer and does not understand the nuances of the design. Anyways, my question is about the gas manifold lines that are permanetely built into the stands, hard lined. If I originally want to use propane, but one day down the line decide to switch to natural gas, I understand that I will have to convert my actual burner, but will the hard lined gas plumbing have to change also? Or will it work find for either? This is question#1 on a series of design questions. Thanks.

u dont also have to change the burners necessarily, depending on which one u have u might just have to change the orifice

I was hoping to use the Banjo burner....can this one be converted by just changing the orifice? Also, I was told that gas and propane required different diameter plumbing because of different pressure. If this is the case, how would the same plumbing work for both? Sorry, I know NOTHING about gas line plumbing so I'm a little lost.

Low pressure LP and NG require larger orifices and larger ID plumbing than high pressure LP does. The smallest gas manifold I've seen is 3/8" ID which should be big enough for all of the above since it's unlikely that you'd have more than two burners on at any given time. If you're worried, go with 1/2" or larger. If you have a banjo/hurricane burner with the high pressure LP orifice, all you need to convert to low pressure LP or to NG is to replace the orifice or drill it out to a larger size. There are orifice size charts available on the web.

are there any benefits for going smaller on the manifold size? If 1/2" is guarenteed to work then why should I risk going with 3/8"....is there a benefit?

Back