Brewometer kickstarter thoughts - digital bluetooth hydrometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, this is Brewometer related....
Thought I had an infected batch since my S.G. was 10 points lower than expected. Took the top of to take a look. Turns out the hop bag I was using to dry hop with (in the primary) was way too long and the top of the bag floated to the top making the Brewometer read way low. I have a shot glass in it as a weight but the top of the bag found the Brewometer. Gave the fermentor a swirl and the S.G. went right back to normal. Note to self, use a shorter bag that will not float to the surface in the future.

My SG was stable at 1.012, which is about where I expected. Dry hopped some loose pellets and now the little bugger is reading 1.019! I checked the SG with my hydro and it's 1.012.

This is the first batch where I've been able to use the Brewometer from the very start and couldn't be happier. I've been monitoring a Saison I brewed yesterday from work and watching its progress. I love now having a nice handy chart to attach to my brew sheet instead of manually monitoring and logging the data daily.

image.png

My SG was stable at 1.012, which is about where I expected. Dry hopped some loose pellets and now the little bugger is reading 1.019! I checked the SG with my hydro and it's 1.012.

This happened to me when I added strawberries to the fermenter

I'd expect this - the hops (and strawberries) are physically interfering with the "tilt" of the device. Add a strawberry to your hydrometer vial and see what you get.

I'd expect this - the hops (and strawberries) are physically interfering with the "tilt" of the device. Add a strawberry to your hydrometer vial and see what you get.

Yeah, that was my thought as well. I usually pull the thing when I drop hop but forgot this time!

I would be curious to see the results of that 3-point logging experiment. My results seem to support your statement that stratification will be less of an issue during active fermentation. I had thought that the thermowell would be the best for temp control, but I guess the hysteresis that BrunDog mentioned means that's only true during active fermentation or if you have a PID control like the BrewPi.
I brewed 11 gallons of bitter a week ago and it was the first batch where I used the Brewometer during the entire fermentation cycle. It's actually still in the fermenter, but the gravity seems to have stabilized around 1.01 so I doubt there will be any interesting data as I do a small dry hop -- unless the hops throw off the gravity as previously reported by another member.

The beer is in a plastic 60-liter Speidel fermenter. I controlled the fermentation temperature via Controller 1. The probe for Controller 1 is in a thermowell stuck through an orange carboy cap that's snapped over the opening in the top of the fermenter. The fermenter is about halfway full and the probe is about halfway down the volume of beer.

The probe for Controller 2 was attached to the outside of the fermenter at about the same vertical distance as the thermowell probe. I started out with a layer of small bubble wrap covered with a paper towel and attached with blue painter's tape, but it soon came unstuck as some condensation formed on the fermenter. This is evident by the Controller 2 graph on June 16th where it began to swing wildly as the ambient air temperature rose and fell during heating and cooling. I then reattached it by taping the probe directly to the side of the fermenter with clear packing tape, followed by bubble wrap, a paper towel and more tape. It seemed to work better, but the swings increased on June 18th, so I assume it's not affixed or insulated as well as it once was.

The bottom graph shows the temperature and gravity as measured by a Brewometer floating in the fermenter. The gravity readings seem consistent, with a couple of spikes when a large krausen formed and interfered with the tilt sensor. The chest freezer did a good job of keeping the temperature at the thermowell within +0.25 and -0.5 degrees of the setpoint. The floating Brewometer stayed steady between the setpoint and +2 degrees. That gives me a good baseline for future fermentations where I'll probably just split the difference and set the thermowell target accordingly.

vrIJhH3.gif

I pulled the Brewometer from my last batch, cleaned it per my usual routine, put it in the box for a day or so and then dropped it in the new batch.

Nothing! My iPhone Bluetooth can't find the darn thing. I have a hard time thinking the battery died in that short of a time frame. Anyone have this experience?

What battery level is the app reporting?

Oh wait... Never mind! [emoji12]

Damn it! I read that and thought they updated the app, so I ran to go check it out!

For what it's worth though, I've had one of mine in a beer continuously for about 60 days now, and it's still going strong.

Damn you, dead battery! Note to self: keep a spare battery and check for life before you drop 'er in the bucket!

Just thought I'd relay my experience with this device after using it in 3 batches of beer so far. I find the SG readings so variable and inconsistent it renders the data of little use except to maybe verify that the beer is in fact fermenting. I planned on using the information to peg when to transfer to the keg with a certain amount of residual sugars for carbonation but it is no where near accurate enough for that. On the bright side.. the temperature function seems to work quite well.

Hmmm... I'd have to say I have quite the opposite experience. I'm on batch 10 between my 2 and couldn't be happier. Once I got the calibration dialed in I've not really had any problems, and I can use mine to know when it's time to move my beers on to the next stages. Sure it fluctuates a point or two, and a degree or two, but it's definitely in the ball park and makes it easy to measure trends.

I would definitely still recommend this product to my friends.

Drgonzo.. I will defer to your greater experience with the device. I do wish I would have had better experiences with the unit. Just from watching it over the course of time it just bounced all over the place, up and down by .010 to .015 swings in 20 minutes time. The idea posed here that bubbles and other clinging matter accounted for the swings makes the most sense to me. But when you see 1.049 one minute and then 1.035 the next, one wonders.

Drgonzo.. I will defer to your greater experience with the device. I do wish I would have had better experiences with the unit. Just from watching it over the course of time it just bounced all over the place, up and down by .010 to .015 swings in 20 minutes time. The idea posed here that bubbles and other clinging matter accounted for the swings makes the most sense to me. But when you see 1.049 one minute and then 1.035 the next, one wonders.

Send it back, ask for a new one. Might be defective. Try customer service, they probably would want to know.

Contact the Brewometer team. Swings that wide in temp and gravity do not sound right. Mine has worked great for 4 batches now. The gravity swing is just a point or two and temp is always spot on.

Yeah, I would say that the customer service from these guys is great. My first unit had issues, and they replaced it straight away, no questions asked, even sending me the new one before I sent the old one back.

With the latest version of the app they make it pretty simple to calibrate it just using distilled water. Simple drop it in a jar with distilled water, let it acclimate for 15 mins or so, and then use the app to calibrate it to 1.000 SG and the temp of your water.

It probably doesn't hurt to do a multi-point calibration comparing to hydrometer readings and adjusting as necessary. I've got 2-3 calibration points on both of mine, and they're now fairly accurate. I was able to track down any discrepancies (aside from the defective unit) to user error:

Temperature seems off compared to thermowell probe - caused by temperature stratification in the fermentation vessel. Not as noticable during active fermentation as the wort is moving around a bit. BrewOmeter is measuring temp near the surface, while the thermowell is near the center of the vessel. Problem solved by leaving a fan in my fermentation chamber. Now they're always within a degree or two of each other, and I don't get huge temp swings.

Gravity readings initially off and then seem to correct themselves - caused by dumping low gravity starter into beer causing gravity stratification before everything mixes. Normally I oxygenate after I pitch my yeast which mixes everything up pretty well, but I mixed up my steps and oxygenated prior to pitching one time when using my BrewOmeter. Once I realized that, and am sure not to mix up my steps, this problem has gone away.

I've found once you've got it calibrated, you've ruled out brewer's error, and you take into account the stated accuracy of the unit (+/1 .002 gravity points and +/- 2F), you get pretty accurate results.

Accurate enough that I would try to hook this thing into my fermentation chamber temp control or toss out my hydrometers and rely only on its readings? No, not at all.

Accurate enough that I can keep tabs on my beer without going out to the garage and needing to take multiple readings to determine when I can move on to my next stages of brewing? Absolutely.

Now if the darn thing would just measure pH as well, I'd be all set!

FWIW - I have noticed that if you just stare at the app and monitor it in real time you will see fluctuations, but generally not more than the stated accuracy range. Still though it sends two pings per second to the receiving device, and since it send one ping to the cloud every 15 minutes, it's kind of random where you recorded point might land. I've suggested to the developers that they store these 1800 pings over the course of the 15 minute intervals (or some subset of those) and average them before logging the point to the cloud, which I think will help smooth out some of the graph variations. They liked that idea and are looking to incorporate it into a future version of the app.

If you take a look at http://www.catsmeowbrewco.com/what-s-brewing you'll see a beer that has been going at 80F since June 5th at the top, and a fermenter sour that I did on the 26th at the bottom (started at 100F and chilled down to 58F last night to pitch my yeast this morning). I think these should give you good examples of the types of graphs/charts you can turn out with these things.

Brewed a basic wheat tonight that will become a watermelon wheat... Ya, didn't even measure the OG using my hydrometer... Just dropped the Brewometer in and measured with that.

Ain't I a wild man!?!

Lucky you. Can't wait to get mine. This three week turnaround time is killing me. At least on am almost there

Used mine for the first time last week and have been monitoring all week. Worked amazing, so happy with my purchase, probably will get one more at some point in the future as I usually brew 10gal at a time.

In case anyone is wondering, 90 days of continuous use seems to have finally drained the battery for me. Would have really loved to have had the battery meter function as I just dropped it in a fresh batch yesterday, and the battery died today. So it'll be another 30 days or so before I can retrieve it and replace the battery.

Now I feel like I'm living in the stone ages again, having to take measurements to keep tabs on things! ;)

I did find a good deal on bulk replacement batteries at Amazon. $18 for a dozen, seem to be the same ones that the units ship with.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'm understanding your question, you can use an efficiency calculator by entering in the OG and wort volume. If you have brewing software like BeerSmith, it will also calculate the efficiency based on the OG and your grain bill.

I on the other hand, love using it to find out the actual ABV.

If I'm understanding your question, you can use an efficiency calculator by entering in the OG and wort volume. If you have brewing software like BeerSmith, it will also calculate the efficiency based on the OG and your grain bill.

I on the other hand, love using it to find out the actual ABV.

Thanks, I appreciate the help and understanding....

WHAT????? It's a hydrometer? Damn it, I ordered the GD wrong thing. Thanks for the help buddy.

Sorry, what did you think you ordered? Maybe we can help you out.

It's not a hydrometer exactly. It's a unit that you drop in your fermenter and it constantly measures both specific gravity and temperature, reporting those over bluetooth to a nearby device like a phone or tablet.

Sorry, what did you think you ordered? Maybe we can help you out.

It's not a hydrometer exactly. It's a unit that you drop in your fermenter and it constantly measures both specific gravity and temperature, reporting those over bluetooth to a nearby device like a phone or tablet.

I thought it was a toaster! My wife is going to be pissed.

In all seriousness. I know it is a hydrometer and I know what they do. What I meant was how to you go about using this to calculate efficiency. I've looked at the calculators, they have adjustments for the temp your hydrometer is calibrated for, is that something you have to worry about with this device? When your mash is done, do you just scoop out a pitcher of wort, let it cool down a bit and drop the device in to get a reading? At that point do you have to compensate for the temp?

In theory, the app adjusts for temp. In practice with any hydrometer I've noticed the closer it is to calibration temp, the better the reading is regardless of how careful you are about the adjustment.

In all seriousness. I know it is a hydrometer and I know what they do. What I meant was how to you go about using this to calculate efficiency. I've looked at the calculators, they have adjustments for the temp your hydrometer is calibrated for, is that something you have to worry about with this device? When your mash is done, do you just scoop out a pitcher of wort, let it cool down a bit and drop the device in to get a reading? At that point do you have to compensate for the temp?

So again, just to be clear, this isn't an actual hydrometer, and the accuracy of this unit (for me at least) is not sufficient for me to take my "truth" readings throughout the brewing process. For that I use a set of precision hydrometers.

As far as measuring efficiency goes, I would look to a program like Brewer's Friend (that's what I use) or Beersmith. Here you take readings throughout the brew day (post-mash, pre-boil, post-boil, end of brew day), and they will calculate the efficiency for you as you go. You can also use some of the one off calculators, but I just find the software to be easier as you're using it to look at your recipe and what not during brew day, so it's pretty easy to just plug the numbers in.

Post brew day you no longer calculate your efficiency, but you look to calculate the attenuation you're getting from your yeast (basically how much of the available sugar has been converted to alcohol). For that I also recommend using a precision hydrometer.

The Brewometers are great for looking at things like fermentation trends, knowing when to move on to the next step in your process, and so on, but with +/- 2 gravity points accuracy, that could impact your efficiency and attenuation numbers pretty severely.

Oh, and no, you shouldn't have to worry about making temperature adjustments with these units, but keep in mind that the sensor is measuring the temp of the air inside the Brewometer, not measuring the temp of the wort directly. That means it will take a bit to adjust to matching the temp of your beer/wort. Not a big deal if you're using it just to measure gravity, but if you're using it to take a temp reading, give it a few minutes to adjust.

Oh, and no, you shouldn't have to worry about making temperature adjustments with these units, but keep in mind that the sensor is measuring the temp of the air inside the Brewometer, not measuring the temp of the wort directly. That means it will take a bit to adjust to matching the temp of your beer/wort. Not a big deal if you're using it just to measure gravity, but if you're using it to take a temp reading, give it a few minutes to adjust.

Thanks, both those answers help a lot. I appreciate it.

Back