BrewingDay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CodeDaemon

Reaction score
Hi brewers!

I'm here to promote my brewing software called BrewingDay that you can find here (http://www.brewingday.net).

This software is designed to help you through your brewing day, with calculation for every step along the way, and possibilities to register the actual values to make it easy to track down problems in your setup.

There is also functionality for creating recipes, managing ingredients and equipment profiles, making yeast starters and more.

The application has been in use, and beta tested since the start of 2017 and have gotten great feedback from the users (around 300) so far, and now I feel it's in a state where I'm confident in increasing the user base.

Try it out! You won't regret it :)

If you have any questions, or other feedback, just add it to this thread, and I'll come back to you as soon as I can.

Feedback: Typing as I encounter an issue. Some will be corrected later. Leaving as is, to give a better understanding of the thought process.

Would like a way to view the software without creating an account.

Ingredients look okay, although not super extensive.

golden naked oats, and dextrine malt are missing.

Sorting should be able to do ascending or descending (there's no way to sort descending potential for instance).

Yeast: Missing the entire line from RVA, bootleg biology, blackman yeast, omega yeast labs, etc.

Hops: Don't see any major issues

Equipment:

Would like the ability to import profiles via beerXML from the major softwares that support it (beersmith, brewtarget, brewtoad).

I don't see a way to switch to freedom units (gallons/lbs, oz etc).

Batch size is usually defined as the volume into fermenter, and not packaged volume. Every other software I'm aware of, and most major beer recipes publish it in this format. Would suggest switching to this standard.

There should be a way to make an equipment profile your default, and I'd like a drop down instead of a search field.

There doesn't appear to be a volume calculation for the mash schedule, no strike/sparge, etc.

Estimated original gravity should be in specific gravity (1.0XX) not gravity points XX. Potential is not a unit type, it's a grain property.

I see there's a way to change units by clicking on the unit type, but if you change to "potential", there's no way to change it back because there's no unit label for the user to click.

I see there's a preboil volume and a postboil (cooled) volume. I appreciate the indication of the cooled volume, is preboil assumed to be at boil? and If so, the calculation seems slightly off. My software is showing just a small amount more, but cannot troubleshoot since the strike and sparge volumes are not indicated.

Efficiency formula looks correct.

Did not analyze IBU formula, but would like indication on what formula is being used (tinseth, etc) and same with the SRM calculation.

I also see there's a development issues section, will leave each point there as well.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, or if any of the above were not clear. The webdev parts are very well done, nice job.

I saw this is a free trial period, which is unfortunate. If you're going subscription or 1 time purchase, I don't see it going very far. I will further assume that given the phrasing, this is not a FOSS project.

Edit: I see development issues can only be submitted by paid members. So I can't cross submit these.

Got as far as batch size and could not find a way to change the measure. It is liters. I am an UGLY American and need gallons..... I use Beersmith and see no need to change. Others are different but IMO, no better.

Feedback: Typing as I encounter an issue. Some will be corrected later. Leaving as is, to give a better understanding of the thought process.

Would like a way to view the software without creating an account.

Ingredients look okay, although not super extensive.

golden naked oats, and dextrine malt are missing.

Sorting should be able to do ascending or descending (there's no way to sort descending potential for instance).

Yeast: Missing the entire line from RVA, bootleg biology, blackman yeast, omega yeast labs, etc.

Hops: Don't see any major issues

Equipment:

Would like the ability to import profiles via beerXML from the major softwares that support it (beersmith, brewtarget, brewtoad).

I don't see a way to switch to freedom units (gallons/lbs, oz etc).

Batch size is usually defined as the volume into fermenter, and not packaged volume. Every other software I'm aware of, and most major beer recipes publish it in this format. Would suggest switching to this standard.

There should be a way to make an equipment profile your default, and I'd like a drop down instead of a search field.

There doesn't appear to be a volume calculation for the mash schedule, no strike/sparge, etc.

Estimated original gravity should be in specific gravity (1.0XX) not gravity points XX. Potential is not a unit type, it's a grain property.

I see there's a way to change units by clicking on the unit type, but if you change to "potential", there's no way to change it back because there's no unit label for the user to click.

I see there's a preboil volume and a postboil (cooled) volume. I appreciate the indication of the cooled volume, is preboil assumed to be at boil? and If so, the calculation seems slightly off. My software is showing just a small amount more, but cannot troubleshoot since the strike and sparge volumes are not indicated.

Efficiency formula looks correct.

Did not analyze IBU formula, but would like indication on what formula is being used (tinseth, etc) and same with the SRM calculation.

I also see there's a development issues section, will leave each point there as well.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions, or if any of the above were not clear. The webdev parts are very well done, nice job.

I saw this is a free trial period, which is unfortunate. If you're going subscription or 1 time purchase, I don't see it going very far. I will further assume that given the phrasing, this is not a FOSS project.

Edit: I see development issues can only be submitted by paid members. So I can't cross submit these.

First off: Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback. I will try to answer it point by point here.

* Creating an account. Since it's only one step to create the account through Google/Facebook Oauth, and nothing to manually fill out I feel it's easy enough to not make creating the account optional. However, I understand that some people dislike creating accounts for unknown services. I'll take it into consideration :)
* Sorting ascending/descending will be done shortly. Almost at the top of my todo list.
* Equipment import from Beer XML is a good idea, and will be done. Recipe import is already there.
* Freedom units is available by clicking the units in any place in the application. It's also noted under hints on the first page that comes up. It seems like it's still not visible enough, so that is something I will need to make even clearer it seems :)
* Definition of batch size is possible to set as you like yourself. I much prefer the into bottles definition, but I know most software use the into fermenter definition. It's possible to change this by clicking the "gear" icon over batch size in the recipe.
* Volume calculation for the mash schedule is shown when you create a brew from a recipe, both in the relevant steps, and in the summary.
* Yeah, I know that potential is not the actual unit type, but it's basically there is have somewhere to click to change it to PPG or degrees P. I might try to alter this, but I don't see it as confusing to hav ethe word 'potential' here. However, as you have noted, the places where the potential text is not shown, it't not possible to change the unit.
* pre-boil looks ok according to my calculations, but I would love to find any problems there. As mentioned above, sparge and strike water is only visible at the brew and not the recipe atm. Let me know if you can pinpoint the issue.
* Indication of formula used i agree with. IBU is currently using Tinseth.
* Regarding the subscription model, I understand your doubts, but I hope you are wrong. The application is still quite new, and the functionality will be better from week to week.
* Regarding development issues, that is mostly to request new functionality and that is reserved for paying members since it seems fair that paying members can be more involved in the direction of the application. I might make a bug section there where anyone can post potential problems.

It seems that you might not have checked out the actual brew part of the application yet. I urge you to do so, since that is where a lot of the work has been put in. Go to my brews, and click Add new brew, select your recipe and give it a name and you are good to go.

Again, thanks a lot for your feedback.

Got as far as batch size and could not find a way to change the measure. It is liters. I am an UGLY American and need gallons..... I use Beersmith and see no need to change. Others are different but IMO, no better.

he..he, units is probably something Europeans and Americans will never agree on ;)

But I'm supporting both systems in BrewingDay. You can just click on any unit name inside the application, and switch it to your chosen unit type. That will then change throughout the entire application.

You can also go to your account, and set new deafults for the application.

I see that this is obviously not clear enough for new users, so I should make it more obvious that this is possible, and probably let new users choose between metric/imperial when they log in the first time.

Thanks for your feedback.

@pricelessbrewing and @kh54s10

Thanks to your feedback, I have now changed so when you create a new account, you can choose your default unit system, and definition of batch size. This will probably make it less alien for American users.

My testing so far have been done inside Norway, and I have probably misjudged the alienation that comes from seeing metric units throughout the application for countries that are based on imperial measurements.

Because you already have accounts, you will have to set this inside your profile instead of when signing up. Sorry about the inconvenience!

Hey Code I's say it is a promising application. Not sure we need another one of these but happy to give feedback.
1. where are the mash calculations? strike water temperature, strike water volume?
2. water chemistry? Are you going to leave that out?
3. brew day instructions?
4. how do you log in actual results? volumes, gravities etc
5. be nice to have whirlpool temperature for hops
6. duration of whirlpool should change ibu contribution of the kettle addition hops too.
7. I like the idea that you can select units and change from metric to imperial on any given item. I don't actually like that this sets global units to metric or imperial. For me I'd prefer to do grains and hops in metric and water volumes imperial.

Maybe this last is asking a lot and I've not seen any application that supports this idea. I like measuring grain in metric because my scale holds about 10 lbs. My recipe usually reads something like 17 lbs 6 oz pale malt. So I put my scooping bucket on scale, tare and grab a scoop of grain. working imperial scale says 6 lbs 13 oz...dump that into my bucket and grab another scoop. 7 lbs 4 oz. How much more do I need? arrgh math with imperial weights is annoying! But on the liquid side I am just too used to working in gallons. Kettle, HLT, fermentors all are calibrated to gallons. Batch size is aways multiple of 5 gallons to fill corny kegs... Hops I could go either way for my bulk hops bought in pounds and measured out as I go but nice to be able to use ounces if I am talking about pre-packaged unit doses...

anyway i like a lot of features you have so far, pretty intuitive interface, good luck with the project.

Hey Code I's say it is a promising application. Not sure we need another one of these but happy to give feedback.
1. where are the mash calculations? strike water temperature, strike water volume?
2. water chemistry? Are you going to leave that out?
3. brew day instructions?
4. how do you log in actual results? volumes, gravities etc
5. be nice to have whirlpool temperature for hops
6. duration of whirlpool should change ibu contribution of the kettle addition hops too.
7. I like the idea that you can select units and change from metric to imperial on any given item. I don't actually like that this sets global units to metric or imperial. For me I'd prefer to do grains and hops in metric and water volumes imperial.

Maybe this last is asking a lot and I've not seen any application that supports this idea. I like measuring grain in metric because my scale holds about 10 lbs. My recipe usually reads something like 17 lbs 6 oz pale malt. So I put my scooping bucket on scale, tare and grab a scoop of grain. working imperial scale says 6 lbs 13 oz...dump that into my bucket and grab another scoop. 7 lbs 4 oz. How much more do I need? arrgh math with imperial weights is annoying! But on the liquid side I am just too used to working in gallons. Kettle, HLT, fermentors all are calibrated to gallons. Batch size is aways multiple of 5 gallons to fill corny kegs... Hops I could go either way for my bulk hops bought in pounds and measured out as I go but nice to be able to use ounces if I am talking about pre-packaged unit doses...

anyway i like a lot of features you have so far, pretty intuitive interface, good luck with the project.

Hi Eric, and thanks for your feedback,

1. All this is related to the brew, and not the recipe. According to your feedback it seems you have tried to make a recipe, and not a brew. If you go to my brews, and create a new brew from your recipe you will see what I mean :)
2. It's not left out, but not done yet. It's being added as soon as I get time to develop it.
3. That is basically the heart of the application. See point 1 for details.
4. That is in the brew as well, so yet again: See 1 :)
5.-6. Agreed that it should be done. Currently, it's done in the simplified way, similar to Beer Smith. It's on my list. I'm not entirelty sure how whirlpool temperature equated into this. Can you elaborate?
7. A small minunderstanding here. If you change imperial for grains, grains will be shown in metric everywhere. However, you are free to change your volumes to gallons and then volumes will be changed to gallons everywhere. So you are free to show grains in Kg, hops in grams and volumes in gallons in the application now as you see fit. I like the swithcing between units a lot. If I base my recipe on a imperial one, I swithc to imperial units and enter the values without manual conversion, then i swap back to metric to get the numbers right for me :)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

I wont even touch it if I have to sign up. My browser indicates that the connection is not secure, in the future when linking like this, please use https. I see no screen shots, so I have absolutely no idea what might be on the other side of a log-in screen. It might be great software, but it also might be a youtube video of Rick Astley, or a picture of you making a rude gesture accompanied by the sound of a long, disgusting fart. I have no idea.

You know who is making their software available with or without an account and seems to still have a quality product? BrewersFriend. It may not be perfect, but it gets the job done. I use this to design my recipe and I take my own notes so I don't have to worry about who is going to spam me next.

You know who else has some good calculators? GB Rackers, they might not have great taste in their favorite football team, but their calculators are great to have open during recipe prep and all the way through the mash. Again, no account, no fear of any spam.

Maybe you're the kind of person / startup / whatever that will never misuse an e-mail address, but how do I know? All kinds of services tell me that they wont misuse my information or spam me, but most do (don't ever give Gurney's your e-mail address, OMG so much junk e-mail).

I wont even touch it if I have to sign up. My browser indicates that the connection is not secure, in the future when linking like this, please use https. I see no screen shots, so I have absolutely no idea what might be on the other side of a log-in screen. It might be great software, but it also might be a youtube video of Rick Astley, or a picture of you making a rude gesture accompanied by the sound of a long, disgusting fart. I have no idea.

You know who is making their software available with or without an account and seems to still have a quality product? BrewersFriend. It may not be perfect, but it gets the job done. I use this to design my recipe and I take my own notes so I don't have to worry about who is going to spam me next.

You know who else has some good calculators? GB Rackers, they might not have great taste in their favorite football team, but their calculators are great to have open during recipe prep and all the way through the mash. Again, no account, no fear of any spam.

Maybe you're the kind of person / startup / whatever that will never misuse an e-mail address, but how do I know? All kinds of services tell me that they wont misuse my information or spam me, but most do (don't ever give Gurney's your e-mail address, OMG so much junk e-mail).

Hi,

You just beat me to the https stuff. The certificates was already set up, and I was doing the changes to automatically use https regardless if using the http and https endpoint. That is up and running now.

I see your concern regarding the e-mail misuse. I can guarantee you that I will never spam you, or send you unwanted mail, but of course: you have no reason to believe me in any way. However, it's hard to make the application work the way it's supposed to without some kind of sign-up since there is a lot of state for the user with brews recipes, and so on.

Screenshots/tutorial is a good idea, and probably something I will get done in the near future.

Thanks for your reply.

Freedom Units?

I have always seen them referred to as imperial units.

It's imperial. Freedom units have become part of the 'MURICA! jokeset.

@CodeDaemon

Would like a login cookie so user doesn't have to log in manually every session.

Checking our the "My Brews" section. Stream of consciousness incoming

Add brew wasn't immediately apparent, again would like drop downs for the search fields. I saw you're using react, but other than that it's pretty locked down so can't recommend any specific solution.

Search fields, would like results shown after 1 character, not two.

Mash steps still are not displayed. Only description, rest temperature, and duration. There's no calculation that I can see for strike volume, temperature, sparge volume, or infusion/decoction information for multi step mashes.

You say "required yeast cells" but there's no user input field that I can see for pitch rate, I assume this is currently set to 0.75 B/plato/mL? Please cite your formula, and/or give a selection to choose between Troeser (Braukaiser) and Mr. Malty (J. Zainashef)

Brew day information: This reads as a wall of a text, I would break it up into sections.

Move the Total grains and hops, same with yeast sections to their respective areas. Then have a volumes section, then a specifications section with BU:GU, abv, color, BH efficiency etc.

Since you didn't quite get my meaning last time. Potential is not a type of unit for beer/wort, it's a property of the grain and has no bearing on wort or beer. It should be called SG for specific gravity. I would see it as quite confusing to see on a recipe sheet, as it has no meaning there.

* Definition of batch size is possible to set as you like yourself. I much prefer the into bottles definition, but I know most software use the into fermenter definition. It's possible to change this by clicking the "gear" icon over batch size in the recipe.

Sounds good, found that.

Did some more testing, looks good. Might have just been some rounding issues between your software and mine.

I would add a tooltip to the "estimated" brewhouse efficiency clarifying that it's a calculated value from the user input mash efficiency, and the postboil volume (cooled), and kettle losses. Alternatively change "estimated" to "calculated" or "expected". This is a trap I see beersmith users fall into all the time. This software (and beersmith) does not estimated brewhouse efficiency, it's calculating it based on the user inputs. It doesn't estimate for instance, how much lower your efficiency will be when you do a brew with 20lbs instead of your typical 12 lbs.

I do like that everything is visible on one single page, and is editable from that page even if a separate window (like the equipment editor) exists, something I've kept true as well.

I have my own software, so my viewpoint is biased towards my preferences, as well was a FOSS model. There's just so many viable alternatives already that do all this, I think it will be difficult to get people to switch to a paid web app with unknown server support and no way to backup or export data.

I like what you've done so far, the interface is solid, the formulas seem good, and you seem receptive to feedback. However I'm not interested in a subscription, or mandatory paid software based web app model. Brewersfriend is free for basically all users, although you can only have 5 free recipes saved at a time. This has a lot of potential, I just don't see it lasting, or getting a large foothold if it requires mandatory payments, and it would be a shame for that to happen.

If you do decide to go foss, or host on github or anything, I'd be interested in continuing to help where I can.

Adding to my list of software to review in detail later.

What does a paid membership get you? How is a users information, recipes, equip. etc stored? Cloud based?

Hi Eric, and thanks for your feedback,

1. All this is related to the brew, and not the recipe. According to your feedback it seems you have tried to make a recipe, and not a brew. If you go to my brews, and create a new brew from your recipe you will see what I mean :)
2. It's not left out, but not done yet. It's being added as soon as I get time to develop it.
3. That is basically the heart of the application. See point 1 for details.
4. That is in the brew as well, so yet again: See 1 :)
5.-6. Agreed that it should be done. Currently, it's done in the simplified way, similar to Beer Smith. It's on my list. I'm not entirelty sure how whirlpool temperature equated into this. Can you elaborate?
7. A small minunderstanding here. If you change imperial for grains, grains will be shown in metric everywhere. However, you are free to change your volumes to gallons and then volumes will be changed to gallons everywhere. So you are free to show grains in Kg, hops in grams and volumes in gallons in the application now as you see fit. I like the swithcing between units a lot. If I base my recipe on a imperial one, I swithc to imperial units and enter the values without manual conversion, then i swap back to metric to get the numbers right for me :)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

OK - I thought I had started a brew but realized you have to hit that button again after you name the batch. Was not quite intuitive first time now I see how you get there.

Hey the ability to express different product categories in different units is fantastic---just what I need.

Suggest you add strike water temperature to the summary page. Annoying to have to click on instruction on the brew day instructions page. Maybe I am old school but I prefer a print out to take into my brewery will all the pertinent information. Preferably a single sheet of paper with everything I need to know for brew day right there.

As for bitterness calculations I am not sure how the calculation is done but conceptually there is a utilization rate that occurs in a rolling boil and another, lower utilization rate that occurs in sub boil whirlpool. Presumably a 200F whirlpool for 15 minutes would isomerize less alpha acids than a 15 minute rolling boil and more alpha acids than a 15 minute whirlpool at 180F. The rate is not linear and slows as isomerization approaches a theoretical limit (about 30%). So a beer with a 60 minute boil might get 30 IBU from a 60 minute addition and another 10 IBU from a 10 minute addition. If that boil were accidentally extended to 120 minutes the 60 minute addition will still provide 30 IBU (maybe a bit more) while the 10 minute addition which is really now a 70 minute addition might contribute more IBU than the original 60 minute addition. If the whirlpool is looked at as an extension of the boil time, but at a somewhat reduced rate depending on temperature, you can see that you get IBU from both the whirlpool hops and from kettle hops that were not already fully utilized.

As for bitterness calculations I am not sure how the calculation is done but conceptually there is a utilization rate that occurs in a rolling boil and another, lower utilization rate that occurs in sub boil whirlpool. Presumably a 200F whirlpool for 15 minutes would isomerize less alpha acids than a 15 minute rolling boil and more alpha acids than a 15 minute whirlpool at 180F. The rate is not linear and slows as isomerization approaches a theoretical limit (about 30%). So a beer with a 60 minute boil might get 30 IBU from a 60 minute addition and another 10 IBU from a 10 minute addition. If that boil were accidentally extended to 120 minutes the 60 minute addition will still provide 30 IBU (maybe a bit more) while the 10 minute addition which is really now a 70 minute addition might contribute more IBU than the original 60 minute addition. If the whirlpool is looked at as an extension of the boil time, but at a somewhat reduced rate depending on temperature, you can see that you get IBU from both the whirlpool hops and from kettle hops that were not already fully utilized.

There is no analytical research on this unfortunately. Everyone is just doing their own guess work. Chill time (and the associated cooling curve) would need to be taking into account, as well as things like kettle goemetry (volitization of oils as a function of surface area, wind speed, evaporation), and temperature of course. We're still a long ways off from getting any accurate information on this. Hell, tinseth himself claims no more than 30% accuracy for his own formula in an ideal condition. Exact AA% known, fresh hops, using his coefficients on his system. To top it off, solubility isn't taken into account, which is why you can get a 150 IBU calculated value. Lastly, Tinseth used whole cone hops, and it's not yet known how pelletization affects IBU formulas. Most software assumes 10% greater utilization for pellets IIRC.

IMO beersmith handles it poorly, as it applies the whirlpool calculation (which is % of 60minute addition timing, which makes no sense), but for a 5 minute addition it assumes no additional ibus after cooling. So its possible in beersmith to get more IBUS from a whirlpool addition than a 5 minute addition, in the same recipe.

It's imperial. Freedom units have become part of the 'MURICA! jokeset.

@CodeDaemon

Would like a login cookie so user doesn't have to log in manually every session.

Checking our the "My Brews" section. Stream of consciousness incoming

Add brew wasn't immediately apparent, again would like drop downs for the search fields. I saw you're using react, but other than that it's pretty locked down so can't recommend any specific solution.

Search fields, would like results shown after 1 character, not two.

Mash steps still are not displayed. Only description, rest temperature, and duration. There's no calculation that I can see for strike volume, temperature, sparge volume, or infusion/decoction information for multi step mashes.

You say "required yeast cells" but there's no user input field that I can see for pitch rate, I assume this is currently set to 0.75 B/plato/mL? Please cite your formula, and/or give a selection to choose between Troeser (Braukaiser) and Mr. Malty (J. Zainashef)

Brew day information: This reads as a wall of a text, I would break it up into sections.

Move the Total grains and hops, same with yeast sections to their respective areas. Then have a volumes section, then a specifications section with BU:GU, abv, color, BH efficiency etc.

Since you didn't quite get my meaning last time. Potential is not a type of unit for beer/wort, it's a property of the grain and has no bearing on wort or beer. It should be called SG for specific gravity. I would see it as quite confusing to see on a recipe sheet, as it has no meaning there.

Sounds good, found that.

Did some more testing, looks good. Might have just been some rounding issues between your software and mine.

I would add a tooltip to the "estimated" brewhouse efficiency clarifying that it's a calculated value from the user input mash efficiency, and the postboil volume (cooled), and kettle losses. Alternatively change "estimated" to "calculated" or "expected". This is a trap I see beersmith users fall into all the time. This software (and beersmith) does not estimated brewhouse efficiency, it's calculating it based on the user inputs. It doesn't estimate for instance, how much lower your efficiency will be when you do a brew with 20lbs instead of your typical 12 lbs.

I do like that everything is visible on one single page, and is editable from that page even if a separate window (like the equipment editor) exists, something I've kept true as well.

I have my own software, so my viewpoint is biased towards my preferences, as well was a FOSS model. There's just so many viable alternatives already that do all this, I think it will be difficult to get people to switch to a paid web app with unknown server support and no way to backup or export data.

I like what you've done so far, the interface is solid, the formulas seem good, and you seem receptive to feedback. However I'm not interested in a subscription, or mandatory paid software based web app model. Brewersfriend is free for basically all users, although you can only have 5 free recipes saved at a time. This has a lot of potential, I just don't see it lasting, or getting a large foothold if it requires mandatory payments, and it would be a shame for that to happen.

If you do decide to go foss, or host on github or anything, I'd be interested in continuing to help where I can.

Adding to my list of software to review in detail later.

Again: Great feedback. Thank you!

Login cookie is already there. I at least is kept logged in at all times. Strange that is not working for you. It can't be that you went in with www in the address the first time, and without the second since that is technically two different domains?

I agree that some search fields should be drop downs. I have a lot of small UI tweaks that I just have to find time to do.

Regading the mash steps, under the step in the brew called mash there will be several steps. The first is called Heat Strike Water and will contain the amount and temperature of the strike water. Then each mash steps follows with the amount of water to add to reach each temperature. Then in the step called Sparge, the sparge volume and temperature is given.

Currently pitch rate is hardcoded to 0.75(ale), 1.5(lager) but I'm working that into the user profile if he want to change it.

Brew day information (wall of text). Which section are you referring to here?

Now I got your point regarding the potential/SG issue. It should of course be called SG. Thanks!

I also agree on the calculated/estimated difference in efficiency.

I still hope I will differentiate from the competition enough when I continue to evolve my application, so I still think the subscription model has it's merits. Also, I think the trial period is more than long enough for people to make up their mind if they like it or not. Also, I think that the subscription amount is more than fair. You might of course be correct but I guess I'll find that out at some point in time :)

Again. Thanks a lot for a lot of valuable feedback.

What does a paid membership get you? How is a users information, recipes, equip. etc stored? Cloud based?

It gives you the same as you get during the trial. That means that the trial is fully functional, and not restricted except for the possibility to suggest and vote on new points for development. Everything brewing related is available.

All user information is stored inside the cloud (Azure/MongoDB)

Again: Great feedback. Thank you!

Regading the mash steps, under the step in the brew called mash there will be several steps. The first is called Heat Strike Water and will contain the amount and temperature of the strike water. Then each mash steps follows with the amount of water to add to reach each temperature. Then in the step called Sparge, the sparge volume and temperature is given.

Again. Thanks a lot for a lot of valuable feedback.

None of that is showing up. When I make a brew, it's completely empty and adding mash steps does not appear to impact anything.

Units for starters should be handled seperately, as pretty much everyone uses L for that, even us americans.

My brews, I do not see a way to close the current brew without cancelling it. The options shown are "start new brew" or "cancel". Is this the intention, or is something not working right?

Tried making the recipe public, but it's not showing up in find recipes. It's an altbier labelled "Testing-Pricelessbrewing", no altbiers are showing up at all.

There's no way to send a direct url to a public recipe.

None of that is showing up. When I make a brew, it's completely empty and adding mash steps does not appear to impact anything.

Units for starters should be handled seperately, as pretty much everyone uses L for that, even us americans.

My brews, I do not see a way to close the current brew without cancelling it. The options shown are "start new brew" or "cancel". Is this the intention, or is something not working right?

Tried making the recipe public, but it's not showing up in find recipes. It's an altbier labelled "Testing-Pricelessbrewing", no altbiers are showing up at all.

There's no way to send a direct url to a public recipe.

Then I understand the problem. You click Add new brew, then you select the recipe you want to make the brew from. Then you give it a batch name, and modify the recipe if you want. Those modifications only apply to the snapshot of the recipe linked to that specific brew. You have to click the Start new brew button to actually create the new brew. Then you will get all the steps I am talking about. I should probably rename the button to only Start brew so it's not indicating that it is another new brew you are creating. Basically everything you have seen so far is the same old recipe view, just from the context of the brew. There is a lot more to see :)

I can find your recipe. I'm hiding your own recipes when you are searching for recipes, since you are probably not searching for your own recipes from that page.

Direct URL to recipes will come when I'm implementing proper browser history for my single page application. That will also fix the problem that you currently go back out of the application even if you have navigated around it the first time you click back.

Then I understand the problem. You click Add new brew, then you select the recipe you want to make the brew from. Then you give it a batch name, and modify the recipe if you want. Those modifications only apply to the snapshot of the recipe linked to that specific brew. You have to click the Start new brew button to actually create the new brew. Then you will get all the steps I am talking about. I should probably rename the button to only Start brew so it's not indicating that it is another new brew you are creating. Basically everything you have seen so far is the same old recipe view, just from the context of the brew. There is a lot more to see :)

I can find your recipe. I'm hiding your own recipes when you are searching for recipes, since you are probably not searching for your own recipes from that page.

Direct URL to recipes will come when I'm implementing proper browser history for my single page application. That will also fix the problem that you currently go back out of the application even if you have navigated around it the first time you click back.

Alright, I was doing that.

Click "My brews" at the top.

Click add new brew

select recipe

add equipment profile, would like a way to add an equipment profile as the default.

The mash steps section is empty when I get to this point. Maybe you're referring to seperate section that I don't see?

Now I can't log in. I click Login with fb, which I've been doing, and it just goes to the same page with no error message.

@pricelessbrewing See my comments below next to yours. Sorry for the delay. It has been night here in Norway :)

|Click "My brews" at the top.
Correct

|Click add new brew
Correct

|select recipe
Corrent

|add equipment profile, would like a way to add an equipment profile as the default.
If the recipe has a profile already, you won't have to select it here. But I agree: A default profile is a good idea, since most people use the same setup every time, or at least mostly.

|The mash steps section is empty when I get to this point. Maybe you're referring to seperate section that I don't see?
This is the problem. At this point, there is two buttons at the top: Start brew and Cancel. So at this point you are configuring the recipe for the brew. The Brew isn't Started yet, and therefore you see no brew steps. Click the Start brew button at the top to start the brew.

|Now I can't log in. I click Login with fb, which I've been doing, and it just goes to the same page with no error message.
My bad. I broke something when I fixed some issued. It's fixed now, and I have also changed the potential/SG issue.

I see that now, thanks.

Everything looks good, no further issues with that now.

Absorption rate and water to grain ratio (mash thickness) should not be bound to the same units. Most americans use qt/lb for thickness, but gal/lb for absorption rate.

I think the volumes should be displayed in the recipe section (strike volume, temp, sparge volume). Either under Information or Mash schedule. Not just in the "my brews". As indicated from several users in this thread so far, it wasn't immediately apparent what the differences are between "recipe" "my brews" and the (now) "start brew" sections. I would suggest changing one or more of the terminology to session, and/or brewday.

I'd also say that on the brews steps section, cooling, transfer and pitch yeast should be seperate from the fermentation schedule, and that you might have too many categories in the steps section. Like vorlauf is lsited twice, one is sufficient. Boil and bring to boil is redundant. Think of it like commenting code, if the code is simple and immediately readable, then a line comment is unnecessary and having too many comments can make it look sloppy.

I see that now, thanks.

Everything looks good, no further issues with that now.

Absorption rate and water to grain ratio (mash thickness) should not be bound to the same units. Most americans use qt/lb for thickness, but gal/lb for absorption rate.

I think the volumes should be displayed in the recipe section (strike volume, temp, sparge volume). Either under Information or Mash schedule. Not just in the "my brews". As indicated from several users in this thread so far, it wasn't immediately apparent what the differences are between "recipe" "my brews" and the (now) "start brew" sections. I would suggest changing one or more of the terminology to session, and/or brewday.

I'd also say that on the brews steps section, cooling, transfer and pitch yeast should be seperate from the fermentation schedule, and that you might have too many categories in the steps section. Like vorlauf is lsited twice, one is sufficient. Boil and bring to boil is redundant. Think of it like commenting code, if the code is simple and immediately readable, then a line comment is unnecessary and having too many comments can make it look sloppy.

Again., very good feedback here. Everything is noted, and will be taken into consideration :)

@pricelessbrewing - By the way, I think I'm starting to understand why your description is "Spends too much time on beer math".

And yes, that is a compliment ;)

Latest posts

Back