Brewing with soybeans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedrunkdutchman

Reaction score
So I just watched a video from the How to Make Everything YouTube channel about making beer from soybeans, and it got my gears turning. In the video he added enzymes to turn the starches into sugars. He then split it, and fermented one of them as is, and to the other one he added DME and hops. And according to him, and the 2 guys from Northern Brewer that tried it, it actually tasted good. So that got me wondering about mashing with soybeans and malted barley, with the hope that the malt will provide the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars. Which leads me to my question, what would be the minimum amount of malt I would need to convert the starches?

So I just watched a video from the How to Make Everything YouTube channel about making beer from soybeans, and it got my gears turning. In the video he added enzymes to turn the starches into sugars. He then split it, and fermented one of them as is, and to the other one he added DME and hops. And according to him, and the 2 guys from Northern Brewer that tried it, it actually tasted good. So that got me wondering about mashing with soybeans and malted barley, with the hope that the malt will provide the enzymes to convert the starches to sugars. Which leads me to my question, what would be the minimum amount of malt I would need to convert the starches?

If you got a base malt with high diastetic power, like Pilsener or extra pale, 30% should suffice.

But you might want to boil the beans before separately, to make sure the starch is accessable for the enzymes.

Do you think that there might be an issue with a stuck mash? Because I feel like a bunch of soft soybeans getting stirred around in a mash will turn into a bunch of mush. And if that happens, do you think that adding rice hulls will be enough?

Do you think that there might be an issue with a stuck mash? Because I feel like a bunch of soft soybeans getting stirred around in a mash will turn into a bunch of mush. And if that happens, do you think that adding rice hulls will be enough?
I don't know, I biab. But a lot of hulls should do it in any case!

Not sure about the conversion. But I would worry about the effects of soybeans on other health items. Soybeans contain estrogen (phytoestrogens) which has negative effects on men.

ETA: I have heard of some brewers using Beano. The enzymes in there breakdown the starch.

Last edited:
No. Just facts.

But I did edit my post to provide some useful information.
It's phyto oestrogens, which means it's oestrogen-like substances.

To my knowledge, the real effect these phyto oestrogens have on the human male body, are still not fully understood. There are conflicting information out there, some claim they work like normal oestrogen, some claim they have no real effect and obviously everything in between can also be found somewhere.

In other words, looks like nobody really knows.

However, if you are afraid of phyto oestrogens, stay away from anything with hops. They are loaded with this stuff.

And at least for hops we have anecdotal evidence for the effect, for example brewers droop.

Edit: brewer's droop might be not the right word. I was referring to the erectile disfunction of male workers in hop farms when hops were still collected by hand. Also female workers reported changes in their cycles, so there seems to be something going on with hops and oestrogens. Beer titties aside....

Last edited:
It's phyto oestrogens, which means it's oestrogen-like substances.

To my knowledge, the real effect these phyto oestrogens have on the human male body, are still not fully understood. There are conflicting information out there, some claim they work like normal oestrogen, some claim they have no real effect and obviously everything in between can also be found somewhere.

In other words, looks like nobody really knows.

However, if you are afraid of phyto oestrogens, stay away from anything with hops. They are loaded with this stuff.

And at least for hops we have anecdotal evidence for the effect, for example brewers droop.

Edit: brewer's droop might be not the right word. I was referring to the erectile disfunction of male workers in hop farms when hops were still collected by hand. Also female workers reported changes in their cycles, so there seems to be something going on with hops and oestrogens. Beer titties aside....

I agree with your general point. I guess my concern would come with using soy as your primary.

I know hops have a significant amount of estrogen, but with the amounts in beer I would think it becomes nearly negligible. Most of us do not handle large quantities at once for extended periods of time.

Latest posts

Back