Brewing with Kernza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
I'm aware of the Hopworks/Patagonia collaboration beer using kernza, but I was wondering if anyone has any practical experience using it. For those who haven't heard of it, it's a super sustainable perennial wheatgrass. I've read that it also has a bit of rye-like spice. I managed to source a couple of pounds of it, and I'm hoping to brew the recipe below next week. Any thoughts?

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Kernza Blonde Ale

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Blonde Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 4 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.039
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.049
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 4.94%
IBU (tinseth): 20.77
SRM (morey): 4.8

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - United Kingdom - Golden Promise (75%)
2 lb - Kernza (25%)

HOPS:
0.15 oz - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: First Wort, IBU: 7.32
0.5 oz - Mandarina Bavaria, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 13.44

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 152 F

YEAST:
White Labs - Dry English Ale Yeast WLP007
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-High
Optimum Temp: 65 - 70 F

I'll keep updating this since there is literally no information for homebrewers out there. Going to brew this in the next few days. I picked up the grain a couple of days ago and it is TINY. I'm going to try pulverizing it in the food processor to crush, because I don't think a mill would do much good.

I've been in touch with both Hopworks and Free State Brewing, who seem to be among the only breweries who have experimented with Kernza. Both were kind enough to respond to my inquiries. Hopworks says they only use 15% kernza in their Long Root due to lautering issues with higher quantities. Since I do BIAB, I'm not too worried about that. Both breweries confirmed that the gelatinization temperature of kernza is well above sacc. rest temperatures, so I'm going to have to cook the grain or do a cereal mash.

I'm now debating internally whether I want to add any flavor hops, or if I should keep it to a bittering addition only to highlight the flavor of the kernza.

Did you end up executing this brew?
What temp ranges were required for proper mash? Flavor profile? Mouth feel?

Back