Brewing WITH beer?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwndabear

Reaction score
One of my buddies and I were joking about the concept of using coors as brewing water because it is basically water.

This got me thinking... what would happen if you actually brewed with coors as your water source? I mean, it would probably be really crappy but as a 1 gallon experiment that we are probably going to do because why the hell not, what would you have to take into consideration?

you have a final product that has a FG to it already. When you boil it, you are going to remove all existing alcohol from it so that gravity will change in the boil, right?

this is so stupid but funny imo.

I would imagine that colors has a pretty low FG anyways. You could always boil a bottle worth and take a gravity reading from that to see any changes.

If you try it, keep posting. I'm just curious as to how it would turn out. For what it's worth, a coors light shouldn't impart too much flavor given what you are starting with.

Are you doing extract or all grain? Extract I couldn't tell you what the results would be, but I see no reason why it couldn't theoretically work (in that you'd have beer at the end of it). If you're doing all-grain, I think the water chemistry could be a bit complicated, and hitting a proper mash pH might be challenging.

You will boil the alcohol out of it so it would be pointless really to consider it in any way to the SG. With no real proof I would think it rates as the same SG as using water.

Not sure I want Coors tainting the flavor of the final product though.

Are you doing extract or all grain? Extract I couldn't tell you what the results would be, but I see no reason why it couldn't theoretically work (in that you'd have beer at the end of it). If you're doing all-grain, I think the water chemistry could be a bit complicated, and hitting a proper mash pH might be challenging.

definitely extract. theres no way im going to put any amount of ACTUAL work into this experiment. its just for pukes and chortles.

Well, it's interesting as a joke but I don't think it's *actually* interesting. I mean even brewing with a *good* beer you essentially boil out the alcohol and are brewing with water with flavors and sugars in it so ... you get a wort with more flavors and sugars in it and, well... that's kind of anticlimatic.

I suppose there is an issue if you keep cooking and re-using and cooking the same molecules of grain and malt sugar over and over and over again if they'd ever decay or stale but...

I'm about 90% sure there was a guy on here who did this with his brew club. I remember reading about it last year. I just can't think of anything to search for that would pull it up.

I'm about 90% sure there was a guy on here who did this with his brew club. I remember reading about it last year. I just can't think of anything to search for that would pull it up.

Yeah I remember reading that thread. There was a bunch of pictures of them doing it I think. I think they made an Imperial Pilsner with it maybe?

You might have better results heavily drinking home brew the night before and pissing in the boil kettle, imo :D

Having said that, I hope you try it. I'm interested in the results. Have you decided on a style?

Isn't this kind of what Green Flash does to produce Palate Wrecker? I read somewhere that they make a ~75IBU "IPA" wort that's then used instead of water for the Palate Wrecker mash.

Even their description is: It's the most complicated West Coast - inspired IPA we have ever brewed - mashing and sparging with hopped wort, in addition to our hop layering regimen for IPA

Latest posts

Back