Brewing very small scale commercially - question about yeast and equipment transition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I was wondering a few things about the transition into *very* small scale commercial brewing - like a small/medium sized brewpub. I've been entertaining the idea of some day having a small brew pub, only my beer on tap and no distribution or anything fancy like that. I don't care to discuss anything else of that nature at this point just two glaring questions. First, yeast. *Edited out, no longer need to ask that part of the question*

Second, when transitioning to larger scale equipment does one just jump right in with only some advanced research learning then trial and error their way through? I know some breweries started from homebrewer's that never worked in a commercial brewery so I am curious to know how they adjusted to the different equipment involved in brewing on a larger scale. Looking at it I guess most processes are similar and learning new equipment doesn't seem to have such a large learning curve, but I am curious how they did it... or do they just hire someone with experience right off the bat to assist in design/implementation/and instruction?

Anyhow, if anyone has any info, or even if there's a great book you've read that tackles these subjects please do post a link as it would be most helpful. I'm not looking to do anything anytime soon, just really looking at one possible future.

Rev.

Have you checked out the pro Brewers boards? Much of this has probably been answered there

I've seen their board but haven't ever signed up. Perhaps I will, thanks!

I removed the question about the yeast cause thinking about it I haven't had that issue in years (homebrew yeast affects on people :D) and my beers are clearer than ever without filtering so I don't think I really need an answer on that.

Rev.

I've seen their board but haven't ever signed up. Perhaps I will, thanks!

I removed the question about the yeast cause thinking about it I haven't had that issue in years (homebrew yeast affects on people :D) and my beers are clearer than ever without filtering so I don't think I really need an answer on that.

Rev.

One thing to think about regarding both questions is the depth of knowledge. You can make really good beer in your kitchen, but if you're only giving it to family and friends, the science underneath isn't quite as important.

That said, distributing to the public (at any level) is going to require you to understand the microbial effects of the entire brew, not just yeast. Fermentation management will begin to include things like how the material of your pipes affects the flow rate of water, how many turns they run from start to finish, and whether those are 90 degrees or 45 degrees. You'll have to think about whether you'll have open-top kettles or whether you'll mix and pump, because exposure to oxygen is going to matter so much more.

You'll also need to keep a very keen eye on the state of your yeast, you'll need to decide if you'll reuse, or create new starters. I've advocated this before but it would greatly increase your chances of success to hook up with a microbiologist, chemist, chemical engineer, etc. They could tell you in great detail what could affect your process.

And this isn't just for flavor. The health department employs microbiologists and chemical engineers who look for things that could kill people. For example, a brewpub will probably include food. Even the cleanest kitchens grow bacteria, which could find its way to the brew process if you brew on site.

Regarding equipment, I would say anything can be learned.

I've advocated this before but it would greatly increase your chances of success to hook up with a microbiologist, chemist, chemical engineer, etc. They could tell you in great detail what could affect your process.

Perhaps a science teacher experiencing ill health needing to put a little money aside for his family.

Heisenbrew.

:)

Back