Brewing tomorrow, what to do with old yeast? 3278 and ECY20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pole

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm planning to brew a lambic style tomorrow, and because I didn't know too far in advance I'd be brewing, I am limited with my yeast options. I hit up the local brew store today, thinking I was just going to get 3278 and call it a day. I came home with a pack of Roselare (March date) and a free pack of 3278 because it has a January date. I also have some old-ass ECY20 (2014, I think) in the fridge because life and a kid have taken priority over brewing regularly. So, a couple of questions on what to do here. (The next time I'm planning to brew will be the weekend of 7/23.)

1. Tomorrow, do I only use the Roselare, or do I pitch some combination of it with 3278 and/or ECY20.

2. Is there any hope with the ECY20, or do I just cut my losses?

3. Do you have any other ideas?

making a starter would probably be a good idea if you are serious about the ecy20 the worst thing that will happen is that it dont take and you have to toss it

I would be willing to bet there are viable bugs in the ecy20. That year was hop intolerant so be sure to keep IBU low or non-existent if you want a good acidity. Definitely pitch a little fresh sacch to help it along; a phenolic Belgian strain would be best (saison, wit, etc).

Thanks, maybe I'll give that a try in July.

For tomorrow, should I pitch both the 3278 and Rosemarie?

Id make a starter w ecy20 and use that. If I wasn't up for making a starter id use the lambic blend and add 1/2 the vial of ecy20 saving the rest for a starter at a later date. But thats just me. Roselare would also taste good just different.

Id make a starter w ecy20 and use that. If I wasn't up for making a starter id use the lambic blend and add 1/2 the vial of ecy20 saving the rest for a starter at a later date. But thats just me. Roselare would also taste good just different.

Hmm, there's an idea. I won't have time to do a starter, so maybe I split the ecy20 between batches with the 3278 (tomorrow) and Roselare (July.)

Back