Brewing this on Sunday ... Collecting thoughts and advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renderman

Reaction score
So I'm brewing a Saison/Farmhouse Ale on Sunday. Here is my recipe .. feel free to critique away.

Grains .. Im going to steep them at 140-145 degrees for 45 min
1 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
8 oz Belgian CaraMunich
8 oz Flaked Oats
8 oz Briess White Wheat Malt
6 oz Briess Carapils

Extracts
3 lbs Briess Pilsner Malt Extract
2 lbs Briess DME Golden Light
1 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose)

Hops
60 min .5oz East Kent Goldings ~ leaf
60 min .5oz Glacier ~ leaf
20 min .5oz East Kent Goldings ~ pellet
20 min .5oz French Strisserspalt ~ pellet
05 min .5oz Sorachi Ace ~ pellet

Specialties
5 min 1 lb honey
5 min 1.25 tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
5 min 1 lemon zest

Yeast
French Saison 3711

Estimates OG 1.056
Estimated FG 1.011 (expecting much lower)
Estimated ABV 6.0
Estimated IBU 34.9

Dry hop in secondary with .5 oz Sorachi Ace

as you can see im going for a lemony type saison with a peppery finish.

critique away and thanks in advance

The only thing I would say is since you're adding honey (which is going to lighten the body), and using French Saison yeast (which is going to lighten the body), I wouldn't use any type of sugar (which is going to FURTHER lighten the body). I'd just sub in some DME or LME for the sugar addition.

KeystoneHomebrew said:
The only thing I would say is since you're adding honey (which is going to lighten the body), and using French Saison yeast (which is going to lighten the body), I wouldn't use any type of sugar (which is going to FURTHER lighten the body). I'd just sub in some DME or LME for the sugar addition.

Only other dme I have is wheat at 1lb ... Was afraid of clouding it up too much

LME or DME it doesn't really matter. You'd be using malted wheat in extract form, so cloudiness wouldn't be an issue. Bump up the Golden Light DME to 3 lb ought to get you there without making the beer too thin.

Keep us updated on the brew!

KeystoneHomebrew said:
LME or DME it doesn't really matter. You'd be using malted wheat in extract form, so cloudiness wouldn't be an issue. Bump up the Golden Light DME to 3 lb ought to get you there without making the beer too thin.

Keep us updated on the brew!

Okay cool ... I only have the wheat so I'll pitch that in ... And when it's done I'll drop off a bottle! =]

Back