Brewing Strong to Dilute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommybrew123

Reaction score
This may have been covered elsewhere, so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

I used to brew every two weeks, but now can only do it once a month. I want to brew a double strength batch and then dilute it out to make ten gallons when I go into the fermentor. So, basically I want to boil enough wort for ten gallons in a four gallon pot.

What issues will come up? I am thinking the hop utilization may not be as good. Anything else you can think of that would help make this work? I am thinking to try this first with a mid range brown ale or an amber.

Thanks

I'd approach it the same way as partial boils. In theory, you could target a post boil OG of 1.100 and 5 gallons. Dilute it to 1.050 and 10 gallons. Ferment it down to 1.012 and make 5% beers.

You are correct, hop utilization goes down as SG goes up.

I think the real trick is ensuring a homogenous dilution.

A red ale partial mash recipe I am considering for this would be something like:

14 lbs Pilsner Extract
1.5 lbs Munich Extract
.25 lbs chocolate 225L
1 lb Caramel 120
1 lb Victory
2 lbs caramel 40
2 lbs brewers malt

Then
1 oz Magnum (60 min)
1 oz Cascade (10 Min)
1 oz Centenial (10 min)
1 oz Cascade (0 min)
1 oz Centenial (0 min)

I think this would yield around 1.059 and 26 IBU in the final product.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks Beernik. I would boil it in a five gallon pot, then split it into two fermentors, about two gallons into each, and then dilute with pre-boiled water before pitching the yeast. I think it would be roughly the same in each carboy then.

Do you think I should go up on the magnum (bittering hops) by maybe 20% or something?

Thanks

Its not an easy calculation & I'm half way through an 8.4% DIPA. You'll want to use an IBU calculator then multiply it by your dilution factor to be sure of what your end IBUs will be.

Another idea I had was to mash the grain, then boil the hops for 30 minutes before adding the extract for another 60 minutes. That would up the bitterness from the hops?

Yeah, when I used my IBU calculator I came up with

1.7 oz Magnum
1.5 Cascade and Centenial (10 min)
1 Cascade and Centenial (0 min)

giving me 53 IBU which is twice the 26 of the original recipe.

I guess an extra .7 oz of magnum , .5 oz Cascade, and .5 oz Centenial is a small price to pay for brewing only once instead of twice.

Anything else anyone can think of?

Thanks

Back