(Brewing) Rite of Passage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasDroughtBrewery

Reaction score
When I started this hobby I use to troll the internet, YouTube, and forums for advice and where to even begin. I would see so many posts on blow offs, boil overs, and bottle bombs. I use to think...hmm none of these things have happened to me.... Now I can say after the last year of brewing I have had two out of three of those unfortunate events (and a few more less commonly talked about ie. forgot to add hops help! thread) and I didn't even get mad (except the cleaning part). I remember very specifically when I was brewing a batch with my brother and we had our first boil over and we looked right at each other, gave a high five and said well....I guess we are officially brewers now. :rockin:

Haven't dropped a hydrometer yet, haven't dropped a carboy and I don't plan to, I've had a few bottle bombs (actual explosions, not just over-carbed), I've always been pretty mindful of boil-overs but they've happened to some degree. I've had some blow-offs but I've always used a blow-off hose when the headroom was small.

Since I'm an electric brewer now, my list of things I haven't done yet includes some things I really hope to never do, involving electricity and all. :)

Haven't dropped a hydrometer yet, haven't dropped a carboy and I don't plan to, I've had a few bottle bombs (actual explosions, not just over-carbed), I've always been pretty mindful of boil-overs but they've happened to some degree. I've had some blow-offs but I've always used a blow-off hose when the headroom was small.

Since I'm an electric brewer now, my list of things I haven't done yet includes some things I really hope to never do, involving electricity and all. :)

I don't think anyone ever plans to drop a carboy...

But yeah, stuff happens and you just have to keep trucking. And then learn from that experience and adjust next time around.

Latest posts

Back