Brewing pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
Would like to modify my kettle and add a pump. I have a 30L. Kettle. Would like to have an advise on a good pump at reasonable price. Would like to do it with quick connectors.

https://www.morebeer.com/category/brew-pumps.html
https://www.morebeer.com/category/brew-pumps.html
My favorite pump is the Blichmann Rip Tide but at $199.00 it doesn't fall into the category of "at a reasonable price."

https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1827.htm

You can get plastic disconnects but I would advise against them. They wear over time. Besides, stainless isn't that much more expensive. You have your ball lock style and your camlock style. I use the camlocks but either work well.

What are you going to use the pump for?

+1 on using camlocks!
Get the "high flow type" for the camlock fittings that go into the silicone tubing. That way you'll have unrestricted 1/2" passage all the way through, which is needed for creating good solid whirlpools.

I agree with @kevin58, the Riptide would be really nice.
Alternatively, you can buy a March or Chugger pump, even find a used one (check our For Sale Forum, Brew Club correspondence or CL regularly) for even less $$.

10 years ago, at the beginning of my brew hobby, I bought a March pump (plastic head, there wasn't much choice then) because I had bought a plate chiller. Both were not a wise decision at that point, but it all worked out and they became much more useful later. It's a wonderful pump and I also use it for recirculating hot PBW through all my equipment at times and cleaning my 5 tap lines.

Hey, don't knock polysulfone plastic! My twin 815PLs are even older than your March and still running strong! :D
Anyway, what about one of the DC pumps I've seen touted on HBT?
I have zero experience but a hella lot of folks are using them...

Cheers!

Pumpwise, I would really like to have a pump to do forced dry hopping. Recirculate the beer through a vessel containing dry hops, so it doesn't take 5-7 days, but only a few hours with, IMO, much better (more complete) lupulin extraction. All that should be done oxygen free of course, so some pre-purging (with Starsan) will be necessary.

Pumpwise, I would really like to have a pump to do forced dry hopping. Recirculate the beer through a vessel containing dry hops, so it doesn't take 5-7 days, but only a few hours with, IMO, much better (more complete) lupulin extraction. All that should be done oxygen free of course, so some pre-purging (with Starsan) will be necessary.
Would a diaphragm type pump work, like the one blichmann uses for their quickcarb system?

Hey, don't knock polysulfone plastic! My twin 815PLs are even older than your March and still running strong! :D
Anyway, what about one of the DC pumps I've seen touted on HBT?
I have zero experience but a hella lot of folks are using them...!
As they should, they're good pumps! You just have to be careful you don't break the head or strip the threads. I leave all the SS fittings (camlocks) on all the time. On once, never off.

Those little solar system DC pumps are a really good and cheap alternative, indeed!

I would love to go for a Blichmann Rip Tide but i live in Canada and the shipping its 70$! So at the end even if it does look very good it is indeed out of reach with our currency that is far from being great!!
So i think i will go with the advice of CodeSection. I will try to take advantage of the black Friday offer if i can see one. I will put up an other post to let you see guys my future installation and will wellcome any advice.

Back