Brewing on the Road

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salt

Reaction score
Hello Gentlemen...and Ladies,

I could really use your input.

I am taking a trip across country relatively soon and I wanted to brew beer along the way. Take not only but my hobbie, but passion aswell along for the journey. I plan on either driving in a Van or RV, though I haven't decided yet. Nothing but me, the open road, and a whole country to brew in.

Anyway, I am trying to brainstorm in terms of logistics to see if this is even possible. What I would like to do is to be completely self sufficient since I wont have the luxury of a garden hose for my plate chiller. Everything will be brewed in the field so to speak. I am currently doing all grain fly sparging, though I am willing to give that up.

What I plan on doing is using a solar powered refrigerator to keep fermentation temps down while on the road. I am also working on a modified immersion chiller with ice and salt that I can run my wort through.

Any Ideas? Any Concerns? Will this work?

I know some of you might think this is stupid, but I think it would be fun and certainly a challenge. There is nothing that would make me happier than to see this great country, brew, and then sit back in my lawn chair and enjoy some of my homebrew.

Thanks again and any input would be appreciated.

Jeremy

Hello Gentlemen...and Ladies,

I could really use your input.

I am taking a trip across country relatively soon and I wanted to brew beer along the way. Take not only but my hobbie, but passion aswell along for the journey. I plan on either driving in a Van or RV, though I haven't decided yet. Nothing but me, the open road, and a whole country to brew in.

Anyway, I am trying to brainstorm in terms of logistics to see if this is even possible. What I would like to do is to be completely self sufficient since I wont have the luxury of a garden hose for my plate chiller. I am currently doing all grain fly sparging, though I am willing to give that up.

What I plan on doing is using a solar powered refrigerator to keep fermentation temps down while on the road. I am also working on a modified immersion chiller with ice and salt that I can run my wort through.

Any Ideas? Any Concerns? Will this work?

I know some of you might think this is stupid, but I think it would be fun and certainly a challenge. Any input would be appreciated.

First you should check out my thread here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/arctic-alchemy-153577/

Yes, this is most cetainly doable, even easier if you have power and a water supply. the key will be fermentation. Chilling will be tougher, but there is always ice as you mentioned . tell us more , where are you going ?

Back