Brewing now... Can't get pH up Dark beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowtiebrewery

Reaction score
OK i figured I would just say that I'm currently in the middle of brewing Denny Conn's BVIP a 12G Batch.

Im currently measuring a 4.96 pH and I think I know why its so low.

I've maxed out my MT for a 12G batch and I think because there are so many dark grains in this, I don't have enough water to bump up the pH. I've added 3 tea spoons of Chalk, and have not moved it up any bit...

I guess my question is... Am I going to have any negative effects on this?

Next step is the mash out and then fly sparging for an hour or so.

Appreciate any input. I might even post some pictures up on demand...:mug:

Chalk doesn't work. Either pickling lime or baking soda will work. As a modest improvement, I recommend adding about 1/16 tsp baking soda per gallon of mashing water volume to your kettle to move the pH up. That should avoid the potential to overdose and raise the wort pH too high. While the best answer would likely end up adding more baking soda, this answer will avoid raising pH too high.

ah I definitely should have used that... I totally didnt think of Baking Soda. I ended up under shooting my gravity unfortunately but hopfully the beer turns out OK... I learned the limitations of my system though today... I can't make 10-12g brews unless I either increase the size of my Mash Tun or go with a smaller gravity brew... I think the SWMBO will kill me if I buy a new MT at this point... hahah

Back