brewing kit.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appleking88

Reaction score
I'm brand new to brewing and wanted to know what would be a good starterkit for being an ipa?

My first thought would be to see what the local homebrew joint has to offer, but if we're talking mail order, the Octane IPA extract kit over at Midwest is tasty. The kit does come with a small amount of specialty grains you need to steep, but it's still pretty straightforward as a first brew. Instructions are pretty good with the Midwest kits, but if you get stuck you can always find help here! If you add a comment on the order to ask them to crush the grains, they will probably do that for you so you don't need to worry about that part.

Also, there are probably several worthy extract IPA recipes in the recipes section here on HBT. Make your own "kit"! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/

Sorry I used the wrong verbage. I need to know what equipment I should get to start a brew.

Oops! That's a question with many answers. If you're not sure whether this is going to be something that you'll end up doing long term, then many of the basic equipment kits out there will get the job done without a lot of expense. There's also not a lot in the kits that will go unused if you do continue and get more sophisticated with your brewing and start to amass more gear. Using midwest as an example again, either the "basics" or the "starter" kit look pretty solid, although being able to view what's going on with your brew via the carboy in the starter kit may prove useful, and I'm a fan of the auto-siphon that's included in that kit as well. I use plastic carboys instead of glass due to safety and weight, but you'll get lots of opinions on that.

Bottling can be a PITA, but if you're just starting out, it may prove easier to deal with than kegging, which presents some additional variables to think about. Also, even if you do eventually keg, having the bottling stuff will still be handy if you want to mix your packaging.

Are you going to do partial boils, or boil the full volume of wort? Many start with partial boils because it's easier to cool to fermentation temps without additional equipment, and the smaller boil volume can be done on a stove top. If you go that route, I'd look for an inexpensive pot. I've used both enameled canning pots and aluminum turkey fryers with success. With the former, be careful not to chip the enamel. With the latter, boil water in it for 20-30 minutes or put it in the oven for a while to season it so the aluminum doesn't affect the flavor of your beer. It will darken on the inside, which is good. The reason I would go cheap is because you will maybe end up wanting to do full boils with a 10 Gallon or so pot at some point, so why spend money on a nice small pot that won't get much use past a certain point?

I've also had luck with morebeer.com as an online retailer, and they have similar equipment kits. They also have kits that include stainless pots, but they're quite expensive in comparison and with the smaller pots, you may outgrow them quickly.

I'd start off with a trip to your local homebrew store. They will have hardware kits and most likely have recipe kits as well.

First though, find a friend who brews and ask if you can come to a brew day. Offer to buy the ingredients and split the batch. This will give you a chance to try out brewing and get a great brew out of the gate.

Back