Brewing in Winter, how to get temp up to 170?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrrrkva

Reaction score
I have a More Beer. B3-1500 "Brew Sculpture". I am having more trouble getting my temp up to 168-170, after the Mash. I have sparge arm and it is set up for RIMS. But it seems to cool down before it gets there. I cant get it above 163. Does anyone have any suggestions? I dont have any problems when external temps are over 60F

Can you insulate the lines? How hot can you get the HLT? You don't have to mash out if that is what you were trying to do.

isulate the lines with expamnding spray foam where possible. you can build a box out of paper or cardboard as a form and get it full of foam pretty easy

if you're just talking about for mash out, 163F is plenty fine. 168-170F isn't a necessity

Go to your local home repair store and buy some silver/Mylar insulation. It comes in rolls and is about 3/8 thick. Looks like silver backed bubble wrap/cardboard. Then get some foam pipe wrap for the sparge arm.

Back