Brewing in the elements, is there anything better??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Sitting here in the garage, looking out at a few lingering flakes hit the ground - been snowing for most of the day here in Pittsburgh. Sipping on a Barleywine. Listening to some tunes. And brewing a Spiced Nut Brown.

I've got a couple layers on and every time I get splashed with water I cringe and smile simultaneously...am I the only one that gets a huge kick out of brewing in the bad weather??

Yes, I think Im on the other end of the spectrum.

Not at this time of year, But In the middle of summer I'm normally out on the patio brewing when its 115 out...mostly nakid and in the pool... except to recirc mash, or toss hops...kind of braving the elements :) ...the heat rather than the cold.

And growing up in Alaska i know what you mean about the cold..especially when your standing around not moving much!!

Not much for elements here in Minnesota this year. Hasn't snowed but once, and it's been around 35 degrees for weeks! The birds were chirping in the trees this afternoon.

I really prefer climate controlled brewing, but I needed some beer. I brewed on the front porch today, it was about 38F and raining. I can't wait to get my room in the basement finished and an electric setup going.

Not much for elements here in Minnesota this year. Hasn't snowed but once, and it's been around 35 degrees for weeks! The birds were chirping in the trees this afternoon.

It's actually been an unseasonably warm winter here too...but we still have had a few snows...nothing crazy compared to normal.

I just love sitting at the kettle, and jotting down my notes when my feet and fingertips are frozen...don't know why...

Not at this time of year, But In the middle of summer I'm normally out on the patio brewing when its 115 out...mostly nakid and in the pool... except to recirc mash, or toss hops...kind of braving the elements :) ...the heat rather than the cold.

And growing up in Alaska i know what you mean about the cold..especially when your standing around not moving much!!

Nekid Brewing...great name for a brewery :ban:

One Word Kbuzz.......HEATER lol but I guess you had that built in type....Barleywine!

I agree it's great. I brew outside on my back deck, I got tunes, water and a little light (I need MORE Light). What could be better. I can even pee outside! :cross: LIFE is good!

2 weeks ago I did a batch after work. i started at 4:00 pm. not too bad 38* or so. 1/2 way through it was dark n the temp dropped to like 27. every time i set my digital thermometer down and picked it up, I could see the temp going down. Any liquid that was on my table or tool turned to ice. I have an Alu. pitcher that I had to keep pre heated on top of the HLT. LOL

Anyway......Yes your not alone, It is GREAT to do it like this !:mug:

Me too. Way too warm today. 80F. We didn't get much of a winter this year. I'm not a cold-weather person, but the contrast is nice. Hope we get another cold spell before the summer hits.

I'm brewing tomorrow in the cool AM. Supposed to get into the 60's overnight... Brrrr!

I love it when it is cold and raining or snowing. Wait I brew in my basement and sit and look out the French door and watching it do what ever it wants. I don't know how you all do it I have friends that brew outside and they dont like to brew in the summer cause the bugs and stuff. So they come brew at my house cause it is a year round brewery. With popcorn machine and 6 kegs down the hall if you get thirsty.

Keg
Coffee Stout
Irish Red
Wheat
Bourbon barrell aged Imperial IPA
Applewood Smoked IPA
Blackberry Cobler Ale

Secondary
Brown Ale aged on Spanish Cedar
14gal of bourbon barrell aged IPA

I love brewing in the elements (snow/rain)! However, there is nothing better than getting up early, on a beautiful summer day, and brewing! I guess I don't really care what the weather is, as long as I'm brewing!!!

:mug:

Latest posts

Back