Brewing in Texas heat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeez

Reaction score
So just curious what have my fellow Texas home brewers had luck with in the summer time brewing? I dont own a temperature controlled fermentation fridge so I'm stuck at ambient temperature for now. What are the best style's and yeast strains for heated fermentation?

Any advice would be appreciated since I'm running low on my last winter batches.

Swamp cooler is cheapest way to do it using ice bottles

Has been working well for me

Sorry misunderstood the question I defer to the experts on yeast strains

Good luck and happy brewing

Yea I've toyed around with the idea of a swamp cooler, my only thing with that is water sitting in a bucket or other device for the total fermentation time ( i've had some brews ferment for up to 14 day's ) that and remembering to change out the ice lol. And cool on the saison's one style I haven't tried brewing yet.

You really only need to change out your ice bottles for the first week or two while fermentation is going on. Anyway, if your air is low in humidity, you can wet a couple of big thick towels and point a fan at it. Just keep a pitcher of water nearby to keep the towels wet. That's always worked for me in my 80F + apartment.

In texas you really should invest in fermentation temp control. You can get a used ugly fridge on craigslist for under $100 and get the STC-1000 and be in business for around $100 or less. I woudln't try to ferment in the summer without it in Dallas.

In texas you really should invest in fermentation temp control. You can get a used ugly fridge on craigslist for under $100 and get the STC-1000 and be in business for around $100 or less. I woudln't try to ferment in the summer without it in Dallas.

Amen. I'm in the same boat. Getting a kegerator to ferment in has been the overall best improvement to my beers. And that was even with an air conditioned apartment in Dallas.

If you haven't and are willing to spend ~$55.00, Google Cool Brewing. It's an insulated bag large enough to hold a 6.5 gal (although I swear mine's closer to 8 gal) carboy with an airlock in it. 2 liter and 500ml bottles of water that have been frozen are used to regulate the temp. My house is 78 deg. I can keep the bag at a constant 65 deg for the Caribou Slobber I currently have in there. More bottles will bring it down even farther. I change the bottles out twice a day, but they should be good on a 24 hour change out. Almost two weeks in the primary now and my temps have stayed within 2 degs of 65 the entire time. Oh, and I'm in Florida...outside temps around 90-95 this time of year.

Latest posts

Back