Brewing in South America : my adventure in malting quinoa and purple corn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chile

Reaction score
Hi there, so I honestly don't know if I have ever posted on this forum despite being a member for a few years. I've been a longtime lurker, though quite active on r/homebrewing and r/mead. I just want to say thank you for all the information I have seen on this site. It is an incredible trove of knowledge that has been very helpful.

Using info seen here and around the web, I have been malting corn. Here is my post detailing the process.

Let me know what y'all think!

http://www.chilexan.com/blog/malta-americana

Hi,

Nice info. I've been wanting to make Chicha with quinoa, spelt, and yucca for awhile. Are there any hops grown in your area?

This is preaty awsome.
You got me thninking about using some maize morado as an adjunct in my next brew.
How much of the purple color comes through in the finished beer?

Hi,

Nice info. I've been wanting to make Chicha with quinoa, spelt, and yucca for awhile. Are there any hops grown in your area?

Thanks! That sounds tasty. Your beer actually plays in with the traditional definition of chicha, that it is made from any locally available fermentable. And yes there are! I'm in the process of ordering soem currently. Hops in Chile were originally brought by the German settlers in the 19th century, but in the second half of the 20th century with the rise of industrial beers, homebrewing traditions and local breweries died out. Only in the past decade did people rescue these plants. Most have no AA content to speak, but msny have been found to be in the 3-4% range. I'm looking forward to trying them out soon.

This is preaty awsome.
You got me thninking about using some maize morado as an adjunct in my next brew.
How much of the purple color comes through in the finished beer?

Hi there. That would be a cool idea, I'm enjoying this whole learning process. I definitely recommend it to anyone to try at least once. I don't know yet because I haven't made the beer yet. The bulk of the malt is still germinating currently. I'll be brewing this weekend though so I'll find out then and post the results.

Back