Brewing in Malaysia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi eck It is illegal to brew anything in the country though the practice is widespread. Suggest to keep it down and try not to make profit out of the product. I'm still hoping to look for a online homebrew store based in Malaysia, without any luck. Though Singapore, right beside Malaysia has them.

A reply 4 years in the making.

Did you find any home brew shops yet?
I could really do with finding a supplier for beer and wine home brew kits.

Looking at a potential transfer to KL next year. Does anyone know if homebrewing is legal there? Any Home brew shops?

I once saw a tiger penis for sale in an herb shop in KL around 1992. You'd think that would be a harder item to find than some malted barley.

Hi All,
New here, how do you all get the hops in KL? If needed to get from Singapore, how you carry them back to Msia? :)

Thank you :)

jz order online view sites like ibrew.sg
or if you'd fancy carry them in it's just plant.VEGGIES

I don't think I'd risk it. Certainly not without looking into the punishment/fine if caught. Also, for what it's worth, I was in Singapore about a year ago and was told you could only brew very small batches there. Not sure about Malaysia.

I have been brewing in Malaysia for a couple of years with no problem. I would happily bring kit in, and similarto other people, I buy fermentables from Singapore and drive them back across the border. bringing in malt and hops isn;t a problem, until you start fermenting them. Just say its for your chickens / pets / cooking.

I have been brewing in Malaysia for a couple of years with no problem. I would happily bring kit in, and similarto other people, I buy fermentables from Singapore and drive them back across the border. bringing in malt and hops isn;t a problem, until you start fermenting them. Just say its for your chickens / pets / cooking.

Hi Nick, i am from Malaysia and new to home brewing. May I contact you for advice on starting brewing, esp Sake?

Hi Nick, i am from Malaysia and new to home brewing. May I contact you for advice on starting brewing, esp Sake?
Hi Nick, Please advise if you managed to bought the home brew to Malaysia. If yes, Please advise me too. I am looking through eBay, certain device seems to need to have pre approval.

There is an online site in Malaysia selling brewing kits and ingredients. They claim homebrewing is legal as long as you don’t sell it.. just search on google.

There is an online site in Malaysia selling brewing kits and ingredients. They claim homebrewing is legal as long as you don’t sell it.. just search on google.
Would be useful to know the site - I've looked but haven't found anything. Similar story from others in Malaysia.

Happy to advise on the kit that I brought in / bought here. send me a private message and we can discuss on WhatsApp.

Nick

i don't think i've ever seen a thread with more new members.....Apparently the brew bug has hit Malaysia! Welcome!

Hi Nick

I don't know how to send a pm 😞 Can you please share how to?
I have not ordered anything from this site. They have limited selections. But I've called them and spoke to probably the owner. And it seems ok. They have exist for some years now. And if it was illegal then it will have been shutdown. There are also a Facebook community in Malaysia sharing brewing experience.
I can't find any official place saying it is illegal to homebrew for own consumption. What I found on goverment sites were on selling homebrew without a Licens. It is illegal to sell without a licence. But I'm still not convinced and won't risk it.

Can anyone from those who say it is illegal to homebrew in Malaysia for own consumption provide facts?

Hey Nick, I'm really interested in homebrewing. But I couldn't find how to message you, could you kindly leave me a message? :)

fwiw, new members are restricted from messaging until - I believe - they have made five posts on the forums.
That may explain why so many participants in this thread were unable to message "nick", and may have given up...

Hi there brewers or Brewers wanna be!!!!!

Am thinking of setting up a club for you all... If enough members... I will be able to import all these brew material.. Malts and hops and yeast for you all.

I do have a few hundred kilos at home but it for my own personal use.
Attzched are thr best witbiers and stout that I have ever drank....

Attachments

• 20200622_165708.jpg
    20200622_165708.jpg
    979 KB · Views: 64
  • 20200615_215436.jpg
    20200615_215436.jpg
    903 KB · Views: 60
Hello, i would like to ask, if i wanna buy a basic homebrew kit and its going to be shipped, will it be blocked or confiscated?

FYI, homebrewing is illegal in Malaysia, whether you sell it or not. I suppose done discreetly, in small batches and for personal consumption may go on undetected and without trouble. Stay safe everyone.

I'm looking to start as a hobby in Malaysia too. So far I've come across 2 online stores that sell supplies locally. If there's a Facebook or whatsapp group started please do add me in. Thanks.

Hello all, I been brewing years now and happy to help you get started with setup and supply. I never knew this thread exist! We are sure the very rare breed in the land of tigers, hornbill and beneath the wind... Cheers!

IMG_20190904_205345.jpg

Last edited:

Am thinking of setting up a club for you all... If enough members... I will be able to import all these brew material.. Malts and hops and yeast for you all.

Definitely interested in this! Hope to be able to brew and flavour my own stout some day haha.

Hello all, I been brewing years now and happy to help you get started with setup and supply. I never knew this thread exist! We are sure the very rare breed in the land of tigers, hornbill and beneath the wind... Cheers!

View attachment 711649
Hi Charles, where do you get your equipment from? Willing to discuss in pm if you prefer!

Ive been looking into opening up a micro brewery at Malaysia, but it seems its impossible.. is that right? there is only 2 breweries at the whole of Malaysia? Jaz and GAB? Cant import micro brewery by kegs though, the potency wont last the trip and long storage at Malaysia.
Any suggestions?
it wont take much to set up 5 to 20 barrel system.. 100 sqft area, with cafe and music front. like the Tom, Dick and harry..

Last edited:
Hi Charles, where do you get your equipment from? Willing to discuss in pm if you prefer!
sure why not?

Ive been looking into opening up a micro brewery at Malaysia, but it seems its impossible.. is that right? there is only 2 breweries at the whole of Malaysia? Jaz and GAB? Cant import micro brewery by kegs though, the potency wont last the trip and long storage at Malaysia.
Any suggestions?
it wont take much to set up 5 to 20 barrel system.. 100 sqft area, with cafe and music front. like the Tom, Dick and harry..
Many "craft tap" bar in Malaysia been importing kegs, cans and bottle. The stupidest thing on this land is you can pay the tax for importing but cannot grew your own industry.

I'm interested. How can I contact you

Guys, this is the only one source to get any information. Please PM me if you found anything.

Yes please keep me updated... Need to buy some base malts here in malaysia, no supplier... Whats app me at +601139398836

Latest posts

Back