Brewing happiness is...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting 26 oz of free CRYO hops at homebrew con, half price galaxy and other freebies to bring home.
A good friend of mine went to an event like that a few months ago and brought me a pound of whole leaf centennial so I feel you on that!! Smoking ribs and a drunken chicken and drinking homebrew outside. Brewing happiness!
20190706_122414.jpeg
20190706_131659.jpeg
20190706_144135.jpeg

The constant learning process is something special to me. I had to dump one out of the fermenter last week, and while it hurt watching it go down the drain, I knew I had learned something that will help me in future brews; namely, if your yeast slurry explodes on you upon opening (straight out of the refrigerator I might add), you might NOT want to use it. The replacement for that beer will get kegged tomorrow, shortest grain to glass I've ever had, and all indications are that it is a winner. 1.060 down to 1.012 in three days, dry hopped, and is almost clear now three days later. That, and the fabulous Galaxy Smash in my glass at the moment, makes me supremely happy.

The constant learning process is something special to me... I knew I had learned something that will help me in future brews; namely, if your yeast slurry explodes on you upon opening (straight out of the refrigerator I might add), you might NOT want to use it.
I haven’t had one “blow”, but I’ve pitched slurry from the fridge and had days of lag time. Solution- do a quick vitality starter, even shaking it in a mason jar (without a tight lid of course) with wort instead of setting up a stir plate works.
Seeing fermentation happen after days of waiting, is happiness too.

I haven’t had one “blow”, but I’ve pitched slurry from the fridge and had days of lag time. Solution- do a quick vitality starter, even shaking it in a mason jar (without a tight lid of course) with wort instead of setting up a stir plate works.
Seeing fermentation happen after days of waiting, is happiness too.
I usually do vitality starters, for this one I didn't and don't know why. Lazy me!

Deciding to try a random experiment and having it turn out way better than expected. I tossed 2 gallons of apple juice + some FAJC concentrate on the yeast cake of a wheat beer (which used Munich Classic yeast). This was my 7th batch of cider, and I think it's the best, most complex cider I've produced so far, for only ~$6 worth of ingredients. I think I'm going to toss AJ on all my beer yeast cakes from now on. LOL

finding A competition that isn’t postponed would provide some happiness.

Boy, can I identify. 0 for 2 this year, Home Brew Con (?), and the September competition I enter every year to boot. Even Munich Oktoberfest canx. Crazy King Ludwig must be rolling over in his crypt.

BUT. Both taps on the kegerator are pouring, the beer fridge has three kegs lagering, just capped an IPA under a spunding valve this morning, and an Irish Red ale is ready to be brewed as soon as I get at least one good weather day without 45F temps and/or 40 mph winds. UGH!

Brooo Brother

finding A competition that isn’t postponed would provide some happiness.
Me too. I had four entries all ready to go for a competition last month that has been postponed indefinitely. Same competition that I won my very first medal (silver) last year. I know at least three of them would have medalled, too. Oh well, now I have plenty of time to refine them for next year.

I have an immoral confession to make: I do not actually enjoy brewing. If I'm being perfectly honest with myself, I perceive the brew day as a weird alternation of waiting for stuff to happen and having to do too many things at once, held together by the universal theme of cleaning. At the end of the day, when all is done and the pressure not to forget anything has dropped, I feel tired and actually relieved it's done.

But then comes the magic of fermentation. No matter how many beers I make, I anxiously await the start of fermentation, that bubble in the airlock, and it always comes as a great relief. This moment where this bulk of overly sweet, overly bitter and downright unpalatable wort suddenly comes to life and begins its transformation into something beautiful, remains a mystery to me. Even if my yeast comes from a laboratory, packed in a plastic bag, I do experience an almost spiritual sensation and a sense of connection to the countless men and women hundreds of years back, standing next to their wort, channeling the spirits to ignite the spark of life inside.

Brewing happiness is that waft of aroma I get when gathering grains from their containers at the start of a brew day. Always gets me pumped, especially if I haven't brewed in a while.

Another favorite though is going through a really sh!tty brew day where Murphy gets the best of you. You still push through despite what was thrown at you. From the beginning of brew day to where you draw off the first few ounces of a new keg to clear it of sediment, nothing has went right. Then after that first taste, you sit back and think......"Hmmm.......Not bad." From that point forward.....happiness.

It's like the sun breaking through the clouds after a really sh!tty week of rain.

Some happiness would be getting my gear back together after two lost batches after infections and find out its fixed.

Whew, boy. Been there. About three years ago. Don't know what caused it.

Then after 25 years or so of brewing under my (ever expanding) belt, I set out on a journey of exploration to improve my game. Dropped a lot of coin on gear. Made plenty of fundamental changes to my processes. At the end of the day I can say that there IS light at the end of the tunnel.

The process is ongoing and I continue to dial in and fine tune my practices and procedures. Without a doubt my beers have improved, while at the same time I'm brewing more and enjoying it more. If there's any consolation in this involuntary isolation, I guess this would be it.

Brooo Brother

Doing a group brewday over Zoom with your two very good friends (who live multiple states away) as we all got into homebrewing around the same time after much talking and no doing.

Oh….wait. I haven’t actually been able to experience that yet since our schedules never to seem to mesh….😔

Doing a group brewday over Zoom with your two very good friends (who live multiple states away) as we all got into homebrewing around the same time after much talking and no doing.

Oh….wait. I haven’t actually been able to experience that yet since our schedules never to seem to mesh….😔

yeah well, even if you don't brew at the same time...and this a zoom thing...live stream your airlocks to each other while they're bubbling! :mug:

(just an idea)

Yeah, we’ve sent vids of airlock activity cuzz…yeah it’s fun. I’ve had one attend a zoom brew session of mine, and I’ve attended one of another’s, but I really want to have us all brew the same damn beer together. Doesn’t seem like it would be that tough..but it has been. They don’t brew often, so that doesn’t help either.

Me thinks I need to join a local brew club vs waiting for schedules to align.

Yeah, we’ve sent vids of airlock activity cuzz…yeah it’s fun. I’ve had one attend a zoom brew session of mine, and I’ve attended one of another’s, but I really want to have us all brew the same damn beer together. Doesn’t seem like it would be that tough..but it has been. They don’t brew often, so that doesn’t help either.

I enjoy being in the local HBCs. Good people mostly, good fun and a great way to learn and hone skills.

Getting or planning on new equipment and setups. Planning a change in process.
Recipe design.
Daydreaming about future brewing spaces and kegerators. (I've never bottled)
The actual brewing is fun too. The sights and smells are the best, but brew day is only about 4 hours

When life isn’t crazy busy then…
Brewing happiness is…. A long brew day. I love the rhythm and the flow of creating beer. BUT, sometimes I just wanna bang out a batch and enjoy the outcome.

Brewing happiness is…..
Sampling a lager that was previously bland and lifeless. Then, POP. It’s delicious.

Maybe we could do a brew day together. I brew damn near every week usually on the weekend and I have been wanting to hang out and brew with somebody and talk beer but my friends just aren't into beer as much as I am.

To stay on topic and contribute to the thread: I love brewing because it's work but not hard work that I get to directly enjoy. I work very hard to provide things for my customers, and then I work to cook and clean for my family. Brewing is so fun for me, every little task feels immensely rewarding. The smells of the grain in the mill and the mash makes me feel so connected to the beer, and every single step is so critical to the final experience.
Right now I have a pale ale that didn't really carbonate so I'm scratching my head, where did I go wrong? It's something to occupy my mind and gives me an attainable goal that I can strive for, dare I say, beer gives me purpose.

Back