Brewing for a Wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feldmann

Reaction score
So a buddy has asked me to brew some beer for his wedding and I was looking for some advice:

Wedding is in September. He wants two options and the meal will be an option of chicken, beef or vegetarian. He's planning for around 100 people.

He has German ancestry so I'm thinking a nice Oktoberfest fits the season. Second I was considering maybe a porter. Thoughts? Opinions?

What's a good rule of thumb for how much I should brew? It will be an open bar, everyone won't be drinking but we'd like to have enough to keep everyones mugs full for the night.

Thanks in advance!

I would not recommend a porter unless people attending are into that type of beer

I would keep it light and east to drink, also not too strong
maybe a wit or an american wheat

just my 2 cents

I like the Oktoberfest idea. Porters are crowd pleasers too but...

Maybe the second could have a bit of a hop profile. A pale ale perhaps?

Brew extra. Take any leftovers home.

I would not recommend a porter unless people attending are into that type of beer

I would keep it light and east to drink, also not too strong
maybe a wit or an american wheat

just my 2 cents

I agree. If you wanted to make a small batch of porter for the serious beer drinkers that would be ok, but the majority of people don't appreciate a good dark beer. You would want to make a couple of good session beers. I would recommend a Hefeweizen or Pilsner to hit the German heritage. You can keep it around 5% and it's light enough that people will like it. You could try a Blonde Ale for the second one. Either way good luck!:mug:

I brewed beer for a friends wedding last October. There was around 150 people with cocktail hour, full dinner and dancing till midnight. Mostly younger and they drank a lot. I brewed 5 gal of pumpkin on an amber base And 5 gal of kolsch. The pumpkin kicked in 30 mins and the kolsch within 1hr.

There was also 2 other 5 gal batches of home brew a pale ale and a British beer. They went after mine. And we're gone within 2hrs.

They also had 2 half barrels of miller lite that everyone went to later.

So I think a pumpkin and kolsch would do well for you as well. the time of the wedding and the age of the attendees will dictate how much beer u need to make. Do at least 10gal of each.

I'm doing some beer for my brothers wedding at the end of this month. Our big decision was whether I was going to brew all the beer for the reception, or whether my beer would just be an option. I live in Louisiana so we decided my beer would be only an option. If that's the case for you, then brew whatever crazy beer you'd like. If you are the sole provider, I'd go with something light so everyone can enjoy it. That being said, I am doing a coffee amber. I'm hoping that out of 300 people my 5 gallon keg will float, but like I said, I live in Louisiana where 90% of the people will drink BMC.

Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!

For the most part the age group should be early thirties, late twenties. I want to do a porter but I was a little hesitant just because I think the crowd will be too intimidated by it so I'm leaning towards maybe a pilsner or blonde ale.

That beer-food pairing chart is awesome!

A Oktoberfest would be great. Go down good and be a hit. Maybe do a less hoppy pale ale around 5%. Maybe even consider and session able amber ale. Of course if I came I'd be hitting the porter but like stated above people may not hit it. People are so scared to drink a dark beer bc they think its so thick lol. Hope this comment somewhat helps buddy. I look forward to being the sole provider of a wedding one day. Kind if a brewers dream. Well at least mine. Cheers my friend.

Feldmann said:
Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone!

For the most part the age group should be early thirties, late twenties. I want to do a porter but I was a little hesitant just because I think the crowd will be too intimidated by it so I'm leaning towards maybe a pilsner or blonde ale.

That beer-food pairing chart is awesome!

Go with the Pilsner.
I am going to make a commemorative brew for my wedding, also in September. I was going to make a Maris Otter Barley Wine but my soon to be father-in-law keeps telling me that I have to make a "Hochzeits Pilsner" or "Wedding Pilsner." Now, I don't know if this is some sort of tradition amongst Germans, but every German wedding I have been to served Pilsner.

Oktoberfest sounds great...

I just brewed 5 gal each of IPA, APA, and a Raspberry Wit for kegging... and 7 gal each of the same for bottles for a friends son's wedding on March 30th for 150 people. The kid likes Pale 31 and Shock Top Raspberry Wheat so I made improvements on both, and the 10.5% IBU's north of 100 IPA is for my buddy who likes Double Jack...

I only had 40 day notice... looks like you'll have plenty of time at least...

How bout a mead

Mead and Celtic Tradition

In Celtic cultures, Mead was believed to enhance virility and fertility, while also contributing supposed aphrodisiac qualities. As a result, Mead quickly found its way into Irish wedding ceremonies. In fact, the term “honeymoon” is believed to have stemmed from the Irish tradition of newlyweds drinking honey wine everyday for one full moon (a month) after their weddings. Today, some Irish weddings still include a traditional Mead toast to the newlyweds as a fair tribute to times and well wishes of both old and new.

Back