Brewing Elements Series

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0phead

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
4 sweet new books came in the mail yesterday and I'd like to poll the forum to see if anyone has already read these and has a recommended reading order.

IMG_20170406_164136790.jpg

I don't think there is an "order" per se of reading them, as they are all completely separate from one another with different authors, but I would start with the malt. just me tho.

I found 'Yeast' and 'Hops' to be the most useful and interesting to read. 'Malt' is a good reference. 'Water' is deeply technical (which appeals to me), but many parts are aimed at commercial brewers with regard to effluent treatment, etc.

I read 'Yeast' first because of my biology background and found the 'Water' very helpful for dealing with my own water situation. All have a lot of excellent information for homebrewer to professional. I have all 4 available in case I have a question about some aspect of my brewing or to review if I see some comment here where I say, "Huh?". Depending on your background and technical proficiency, they can be good for insomnia, too.

I got 'Yeast' first, and got a lot of great information and practical advice from it. I use it as a reference book all the time.

I got 'Hops' next and was somewhat disappointed. It really doesn't tell you anything technical. Nothing that I find I can use everyday. I've read it a couple of times, and it seems to leave me more confused rather than answer questions. A lot of it is how different breweries use their hops, and a lot of that advice is contradictory. Yes, it has a lot of information on hops, but I was not impressed by it. If I'm after some information on hops, or how to use them, I usually either google it or search this forum, and do my own research, rather than pull out the book.

Because of my impression on 'Hops', I never got 'Water'.

I didn't know there was a 'Malt'. I think I'll have to invest in that one. I'd be interested in what people think about it, and how it compares to the others.

You have a good selection of beers listed, so I would start with one where you have the most questions or any problems.

For me it would be malt, yeast, hops then water. I have been brewing 6 years and have only recently started looking at my water.

Back