Brewing Competition Entry Forms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gometz

Reaction score
I have only entered one competition, but decided I am going to do a few more this year. Last time around I filled out the entry form with every single detail possible.

I am going to submit 3-4 different beers to a competition within the next month (and probably the same 3-4 in another competition in March), and I am wondering if I really need to fill in every single detail on the entry form. To me it seems like if that were truly necessary they would have that automated instead of having you hand write it or enter it in with Adobe. I am not trying to protect any of my recipes at all or anything like that, just can be a pain to go through and enter in all of the information, so if it isn't needed, I won't.

The comp should tell you if recipe details are required at entry. Most of the ones I've entered have only required the beer name and style, and certain add'l details for some categories (special ingredients, etc).

Even if the entry sheet prints with space for the recipe, I don't fill it out.

Some comps have said that the recipe would be required if you win (brew on the sponsor's system, etc) and only one I think required full details up front

Most comps I've entered in the last decade do not require a full recipe unless a winning entry will be brewed commercially-- and that info can be provided after the fact. Specialty styles like oak & fruit beers require you to describe the fruit/oak additions.

Unless instructed otherwise, you can usually skip the gory details. It's a PITA, I agree...

Yep - I have entered 50+ comps..... I have never sent a recipe in. Almost none of them require it unless there is a "pro-am" type thing for a selected winning beer.

Personally, I would likely not even enter a comp that required a recipe ..... not because I care that someone has a recipe I used, simply because it is a giant PITA to enter a bunch of recipes.

Usually you only have to fill out category, name of beer and perhaps special ingredients if it is a certain category (like fruit, wood aged, spiced, etc).

If you are in doubt, just e-mail the person running the comp to confirm that you do or don't need to submit full recipe, etc.

I have only had to enter recipe info for pro-ams and the second round of NHC. Competitions using the reggiebeer software now allow you to attach the recipe as a PDF. The majority of comps at least in Colorado have started using this for comps. This is way more convenient since most brewing programs are capable of outputting a recipe as a PDF.

Thanks guys. Looks like I won't go through the effort then. The last time they also allowed 22 oz bottles, but most seem to not allow that anymore. One up in Lubbock told me they would accept them though. I know it's probably a pain in the ass, and from now on I will bottle a few 12 oz bottles of each batch in case it is worth entering.

Latest posts

Back