Brewing Classical Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am a Classical Archaeologist and homebrewer. Recently, I started a blog that merges my two passions, Brewing Classical Styles. My goal is to present all the Classical (i.e. Ancient Greek and Roman) references to beer in a format that is friendly and accessible to non-academics. I also regularly comment on the archaeological evidence for identifying beer/beer production in the ancient world and offer beer reviews of Classically themed/inspired beers.

My latest entry is Pliny the Elder's description of the health benefits of beer. I hope you enjoy it!

While I think beer history is awesome, coming onto HBT with a first and only post pushing your own blog with a name and acronym unbelievably close (intentionally or otherwise) to one of the most popular homebrewing books ever written is going to have you immediately dismissed outright.

In addition to likely being dismissed here (and elsewhere), your blog name is such that I suspect it will be hard to find. Even searching exact terms in quotes plops you right on the book (or other pages about the book) "Brewing Classic Styles". As said, it's one of the most popular homebrewing books ever written.

I would greatly suggest changing the name of your blog to something a bit more unique.

Cheers.

Thank you for your input. I will certainly take this into consideration and I am sorry you misinterpreted my intentions. The blog's title is both a tribute to the influential book and a reference to the Classical world (for which, there is only one adjective, "Classical"). It is also undeniable that puns and word play are well-established in modern beer culture.

For the sake of clarity, I do properly cite Brewing Classic Styles throughout and make the homage clear in the "About" page.

Finally, this was posted in the appropriate "Beer Blog" forum and not on a general page. I simply wanted to introduce the site to anyone who may be interested and had no intention of "pushing" the site beyond this.

Happy brewing,
Brewing Classical

Thank you for your input. I will certainly take this into consideration and I am sorry you misinterpreted my intentions. The blog's title is both a tribute to the influential book and a reference to the Classical world (for which, there is only one adjective, "Classical"). It is also undeniable that puns and word play are well-established in modern beer culture.

For the sake of clarity, I do properly cite Brewing Classic Styles throughout and make the homage clear in the "About" page.

Finally, this was posted in the appropriate "Beer Blog" forum and not on a general page. I simply wanted to introduce the site to anyone who may be interested and had no intention of "pushing" the site beyond this.

Happy brewing,
Brewing Classical

I had a feeling that was the intention, and I like the concept. However it's that first impression that is going to drive people away, and your intentions aren't always a factor there. If you're dismissed immediately one may never even read the about page.

To give you an idea, I was suspicious enough from the start, given the prevalence of spam on sites like this, that I didn't click your links but rather searched for your blog myself just to make sure I wasn't redirected via a fake link or something. I do it with many questionable posts in these circumstances.

Once I found your blog your intent did seem clear, but I can't say anyone else would care to get past the initial suspicion and never bother to click or read. If you were an established poster on here it may be a different story. Might not be fair but it is what it is.

Yep, you posted in the correct area, and as long as there's no legal issues with the blog name (not sure if it qualifies as fair use or not) I don't think you're doing anything wrong, just that the "brand" for lack of a better all-encompassing term you may find problematic regardless of intention.

Cheers.

Thank you! Again, I truly appreciate your input and will mull over alternative names. I also have every intention to contribute substantively to any relevant threads/posts on this site. Unfortunately, there were no posts (to my knowledge) related to Greek and Roman beer in the past few months when I first considered starting the blog for me to provide any insight into the topic!

Best wishes,
Brewing Classical

While I think beer history is awesome, coming onto HBT with a first and only post pushing your own blog with a name and acronym unbelievably close (intentionally or otherwise) to one of the most popular homebrewing books ever written is going to have you immediately dismissed outright.

In addition to likely being dismissed here (and elsewhere), your blog name is such that I suspect it will be hard to find. Even searching exact terms in quotes plops you right on the book (or other pages about the book) "Brewing Classic Styles". As said, it's one of the most popular homebrewing books ever written.

I would greatly suggest changing the name of your blog to something a bit more unique.

Cheers.

Really? Way to be welcoming to the community...

Welcome to HBT, classical. I have no desire to replicate classical (pre-hops) beer styles, but there are people here that will. I'm a big history fan, though - at least I like to listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts.

Hi Everyone,
I am a Classical Archaeologist and homebrewer. Recently, I started a blog that merges my two passions, Brewing Classical Styles. My goal is to present all the Classical (i.e. Ancient Greek and Roman) references to beer in a format that is friendly and accessible to non-academics. I also regularly comment on the archaeological evidence for identifying beer/beer production in the ancient world and offer beer reviews of Classically themed/inspired beers.

My latest entry is Pliny the Elder's description of the health benefits of beer. I hope you enjoy it!

I clicked that link with interest--might learn something about brewing beer or the history or SOMETHING worthwhile.

Imagine my surprise when right in your commentary you say this: "Unfortunately, Pliny the Elder does not have much to say on the topic of IPAs . . . or beer, in general."

And even P the E's description of the health benefits of beer is apparently limited to the use of yeast for women's complexions.

If you want repeat business, my friend, you're going to have to offer more than that. I hope you do.

Welcome to HBT, classical. I have no desire to replicate classical (pre-hops) beer styles, but there are people here that will. I'm a big history fan, though - at least I like to listen to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcasts.

Thank you! With the weekly translations, I will be able to offer a full inventory of the Greek and Roman references to beer, brewing, yeast, barrels, etc. so that they are easily available for anyone interested in this period of history.

P.S. Those are great podcasts. Of course, I'm digging his on-going synthesis of the Greco-Persian Wars!

Thank you! With the weekly translations, I will be able to offer a full inventory of the Greek and Roman references to beer, brewing, yeast, barrels, etc. so that they are easily available for anyone interested in this period of history.

P.S. Those are great podcasts. Of course, I'm digging his on-going synthesis of the Greco-Persian Wars!

I am digging those too. A lot. He's got a woody for Cyrus. I'm just amazed that his tomb is still standing.

503-Pasargadae-E.jpg

Latest posts

Back