Brewing Away From Home - What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReuFroman

Reaction score
So it looks like I am going to be in the silicon valley for the next 6-months on a contract. I will have an executive studio with 110v. Probably won't have a more than 25 amp circuit to plug into.

I don't want to have to babysit the stove so a PID biab is the first thought. I am thinking about building a small 2 gallon all-grain setup. I guess I could do a stove brew but that doesn't really appeal to me. Another option is using an induction pot and cooker. I know they use a lot less in the amp department.

What would you do?
I will bring whatever I do back and do a few small test batches with it or keep the spare parts around, who knows. Money isn't really the issue here, it is more of a simple and easy to use system while I am away from my home setup.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

Hmm. I think I might build a heat stick if I were planning on doing small 2-3 gallon batches.

A 2 gallon all grain setup would work. You could always supplement it for higher gravity beers using LME/DME. There was an episode of Basic Brewing where he made a little 2 gallon mash tun cooler, that might be the way to go.

CA_Mouse said:
A 2 gallon all grain setup would work. You could always supplement it for higher gravity beers using LME/DME. There was an episode of Basic Brewing where he made a little 2 gallon mash tun cooler, that might be the way to go.

I'll have to check that out.

It is only 6 months. You are going to a pretty populated area. See if there are any other Homebrewers/brew clubs that might be interested in going in on a 10 gallon or so batch with you on their equipment.

You might learn something new or teach a brewer something new.

sennister said:
It is only 6 months. You are going to a pretty populated area. See if there are any other Homebrewers/brew clubs that might be interested in going in on a 10 gallon or so batch with you on their equipment. You might learn something new or teach a brewer something new.

Great idea. I hadn't thought about that. Our club pres is from the area I be the has a few connections.

kal said:
Take the opportunity to buy store-bought beers that aren't normally available to you! ;) Kal

I plan on doing a bit of that.

Brewing helps me get my mind off work I was hoping to do a lot of getting my mind off work. But going to a brewery or brew pub is a great way to really work on recipe building.

Back