Brewing and septic system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeljcarr

Reaction score
Couple of questions regarding brewing and effects on the septic system:
1) typically I just dump my trub and post boil/fermenter hops down the drain. I'm assuming that they'll break down in the system. Thoughts on this?

2) after sanitizing, I just dump the sanitizer down the drain. I started wondering if this might have an adverse effect on the amount of bacteria needed for a properly working septic system. In other words, will the sanitizer kill the good bacteria in the system?

Not sure about the sanitizer,but the used yeast/trub should help the septic system with breaking everything down. According to the city guys where I live now,that yeast will help break things down in the "caker" in the septic system out front of our house as well. The caker is the round,cylinderical concrete thing that the sewer lines connect to. Similar to a septic tank. If you have an aerator in your tank,make sure it's working properly as well. It works about the same as a stir plate.

Couple of questions regarding brewing and effects on the septic system:
1) typically I just dump my trub and post boil/fermenter hops down the drain. I'm assuming that they'll break down in the system. Thoughts on this?

2) after sanitizing, I just dump the sanitizer down the drain. I started wondering if this might have an adverse effect on the amount of bacteria needed for a properly working septic system. In other words, will the sanitizer kill the good bacteria in the system?

Hello,

1) yes the yeast is very good for your septic system, last time we had ours pumped I asked the guys exactly what you are asking about and they said its one of the best things you can dump down your drain.

2) StarSan is maybe ok down the drain, not great but ok, he recommended against it, anything else like any of the cleaners, detergents, chemicals , and I quote, never pour down the drain or we will be back pumping it out long before we should be.

Cheers :mug:

I have a friend who has been brewing for over a decade who is on a septic system
He only dumps trub
after having to restart the system a few times he stopped dumping water with the sanitizer in it and that cured that
a while later he stopped dumping all but the stuff rinsing out the trub, When i asked why we were running a hose to the gardens he said the tank was a little small and he did not want all the water going in it, He has 3 kids and a wife and that adds up.

now that is my experience, we brewed together at his house for 5 or 6 years, he has a dedicated brew room in his garage and the sink had 2 drain lines, one to the garden and one to the septic system Splitting the system cost money so I think the issues were enough to have him spend it.

Back