Brewing an Oktoberfest Beer as an Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vedder014

Reaction score
My wife desperately wants me to brew her an Oktoberfest beer. Since she doesn't complain about my brewing i figured it would be wise to oblige. The problem is that I don't have the ability to lager a beer. I thought Kölsch yeast was going to be the answer but I discovered that it still has to be cold conditioned. Does anyone know of a yeast or a recipe that will produce an Oktoberfest style beer an ale fermenting temperature?

Vedder014 said:
My wife desperately wants me to brew her an Oktoberfest beer. Since she doesn't complain about my brewing i figured it would be wise to oblige. The problem is that I don't have the ability to lager a beer. I thought Kölsch yeast was going to be the answer but I discovered that it still has to be cold conditioned. Does anyone know of a yeast or a recipe that will produce an Oktoberfest style beer an ale fermenting temperature?

I am fermenting an Oktoberfest-style ale right now. Used Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast smack pack. Fermented between 66-68F. OG was 1.062 on 6/22 and 1.014 (my target) on 6/30. Couldn't be happier with 1007.

I am fermenting an Oktoberfest-style ale right now. Used Wyeast 1007 German Ale yeast smack pack. Fermented between 66-68F. OG was 1.062 on 6/22 and 1.014 (my target) on 6/30. Couldn't be happier with 1007.

Couldn't agree more. Did my second 10 gal. batch of the Oktoberfest using the Germal Ale. Went from 1.061 to 1.010. Very happy with it.

How does 1007 do at those "upper" temps? I've used it before for a Smoke Wheat beer and kept it low, around 60F. I'm interested how it performs at 68F as i need a solid Okto for a festival in Sept.

iowabrew said:
How does 1007 do at those "upper" temps? I've used it before for a Smoke Wheat beer and kept it low, around 60F. I'm interested how it performs at 68F as i need a solid Okto for a festival in Sept.

Performed very well for me. In fact, I originally had it at 72-74 with no activity. Moved it to the basement and it took off within 24 hours. Chugged along very consistently for 5-6 days.

Still pretty clean up in those temps i take it. NICE! Thanks for the follow up

iowabrew said:
Still pretty clean up in those temps i take it. NICE! Thanks for the follow up

Yes. I used this once before on a Doppelbock which turned out very clean and smooth.

Back