Brewing an IPA with Lucky Charms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd swear that several years ago i saw an older video of some homebrewers making beer with count chocula and boo berry cereal for halloween. My google-fu is failing me though...

Most of our standard breakfast cereals are complete trash. Lucky charms has corn syrup and artificial flavoring. There’s worse, cereals I’ve seen added to beer like fruity pebbles have hydrogenated vegetable oils (fricken disgusting) and boo berry has canola oil. I just don’t get it.

I need some opinions. I am thinking about brewing an IPA from an extract kit, but also including a box of Lucky Charms. The plan would be to separate out the cereal from the marshmallow bits, and use some of the cereal in the grain sack, and then add the marshmallows to the fermenter. 5 gallons.

Potential Questions and Issues I Anticipate:

1) Would the marshmallows need to be sanitized? Would soaking them in some vodka and adding the marshmallows and vodka alltogether to the fermenter be a good route?

2) I imagine there are preservatives in the cereal, and not sure how that would affect the beer/fermentation.

I did some searching and found nothing definitive, nor any results, so I wanted to get some opinions from you all. I would also hate to throw a batch down the drain. Last night I brewed the kit without the Lucky Charms, and I want to get the Lucky Charms version underway so I can compare the two side-by-side.

Just trying to have a bit of additional fun with my homebrew! :mug:
I actually of all people HAVE heard of this beer. It was brewed in Norfolk , Virginia by a brewery known as Smartmouth brewing. The beer sold out immediately. I think it is a good idea to give them a call and maybe they could steer you in the right direction.

I need some opinions. I am thinking about brewing an IPA from an extract kit, but also including a box of Lucky Charms. The plan would be to separate out the cereal from the marshmallow bits, and use some of the cereal in the grain sack, and then add the marshmallows to the fermenter. 5 gallons.

Potential Questions and Issues I Anticipate:

1) Would the marshmallows need to be sanitized? Would soaking them in some vodka and adding the marshmallows and vodka alltogether to the fermenter be a good route?

2) I imagine there are preservatives in the cereal, and not sure how that would affect the beer/fermentation.

I did some searching and found nothing definitive, nor any results, so I wanted to get some opinions from you all. I would also hate to throw a batch down the drain. Last night I brewed the kit without the Lucky Charms, and I want to get the Lucky Charms version underway so I can compare the two side-by-side.

Just trying to have a bit of additional fun with my homebrew! :mug:
Virginia-based brewing company Smartmouth is releasing a new IPA that will evoke allll the feelings. Appropriately titled "Saturday Morning," the new release is an ode to those early weekend hours spent parked in front of the TV—PJs on, cartoons playing, and your favorite cereal in hand. Yup, the beer is brewed with Lucky Charms-inspired marshmallows.

The IPA is made from toasted 'mallows and tropical fruity Calypso hops, a spokesperson for the company shared with Delish via email. The 16-ounce cans have a 6.6 percent ABV and come patterned with the same rainbow theme you know and love. Smartmouth even posted a sneak peek of the process to Instagram February 11 with a close-up shot of the marshmallows used for brewing. They captioned the 'gram simply, "" and threw in a few hashtags, including the obvious "#magicallydelicious."

Back