Brewing an IPA with Lucky Charms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerKipppunkt

Reaction score
I need some opinions. I am thinking about brewing an IPA from an extract kit, but also including a box of Lucky Charms. The plan would be to separate out the cereal from the marshmallow bits, and use some of the cereal in the grain sack, and then add the marshmallows to the fermenter. 5 gallons.

Potential Questions and Issues I Anticipate:

1) Would the marshmallows need to be sanitized? Would soaking them in some vodka and adding the marshmallows and vodka alltogether to the fermenter be a good route?

2) I imagine there are preservatives in the cereal, and not sure how that would affect the beer/fermentation.

I did some searching and found nothing definitive, nor any results, so I wanted to get some opinions from you all. I would also hate to throw a batch down the drain. Last night I brewed the kit without the Lucky Charms, and I want to get the Lucky Charms version underway so I can compare the two side-by-side.

Just trying to have a bit of additional fun with my homebrew! :mug:

Bump. (because I really would like some opinions/help here).

One of the reasons I didn't respond earlier is that my mama told me "if you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all". I think it's going to be a terrible mess, and can't think of anything the least bit nice to say about it.

Well, I'm sure you got no responses because it sounds terrible.

Not so much the cereal in the mash (although it won't convert and will give a heck of a starch haze unless you mash it properly) but the marshmallows also. Sounds like a disaster.

Well, I'm sure you got no responses because it sounds terrible.

Now see, I was about to respond BECAUSE it sounds terrible.

It sounds terrible.

Out on a limb here, but it seems to me this kind of beer gets brewed so someone can say, "Hey, it's actually not quite as completely terrible as it sounds!" And given that, I still say it's too high a bar.

Anyway, if you can't be talked out of it--how about a one gallon batch? With just one bowl of cereal? (No milk.)
Sent from my VM670 using Home Brew mobile app

I need some opinions. I am thinking about brewing an IPA from an extract kit, but also including a box of Lucky Charms. The plan would be to separate out the cereal from the marshmallow bits, and use some of the cereal in the grain sack, and then add the marshmallows to the fermenter. 5 gallons.

Potential Questions and Issues I Anticipate:

1) Would the marshmallows need to be sanitized? Would soaking them in some vodka and adding the marshmallows and vodka alltogether to the fermenter be a good route?

2) I imagine there are preservatives in the cereal, and not sure how that would affect the beer/fermentation.

I did some searching and found nothing definitive, nor any results, so I wanted to get some opinions from you all. I would also hate to throw a batch down the drain. Last night I brewed the kit without the Lucky Charms, and I want to get the Lucky Charms version underway so I can compare the two side-by-side.

Just trying to have a bit of additional fun with my homebrew! :mug:

My god man, my god.....:drunk:

lots of people with crazy ideas for beers. snickers bars was another one...

alright lets spitball a lucky charms beer. ingredients says they're made with whole grain oats and marshmallows.

do a marris otter base. add up to 20% rolled oats. maybe a small amount of munich to fill it out and a touch of a honey malt.

for hops i would bitter with something mild. if you don't mind left over hops use something like warrior or nugget. if you want to use whole ounces use something low AA.

to emulate marshmallows i'd use fruity hops around T-20. centennial, citra, cascade and amarillo would be my candidates.

I'd use notty yeast or an estery belgian strain run warm.

I think we all have made experimental batches that, upon tasting, made us say "holy flirking snit! what have I done?". :)

You can either take the advice offered from long time brewers or you can go ahead and do it, taste the results and use it as a learning experience. Who knows? It might turn out "Magically Delicious" (though I seriously doubt it.) :D

7# two row
2.5# rolled oats
1# munich
10oz honey malt
8oz aromatic malt

mash @ 148-150 1.0 qt/lb for 90 minutes

.75oz mt. hood @ 60
.25oz centennial @ 20
.25oz citra @ 20

danstar nottingham yeast or a lager could be good too.

1.053 OG
1.011 FG
5.5 ABV
~23 IBU

you might even be able to skip the citra/centennial and just use the full oz of mt hood at 60 and leave it at that.

I noticed that you said you were brewing this from an extract kit. I'd strongly suggest that you just brew a plain IPA so you know how well it comes out first before you get experimental. If your base beer sucks, there's no chance in the world the lucky charms are going to help it.

I'm going to regret asking this question, and I don't mean to dampen your creative spirit, but what the heck made you think this might be a remotely good idea? Does normal beer not have enough FD&C Red 40 for your tastes?

They are always after my Lucky Charms' ingredients:

Lucky Charms (Oats, (Whole Grain Oats, Flour), Marshmallows (Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Gelatin, Calcium Carbonate, Yellow 5 & 6, Blue 1, Red 40), Artificial Flavor, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Artificial Color, Trisodium Phosphate, Zinc And Iron (Mineral Nutrients), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbic), A "B" Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1, Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A, (Palmitate), A B Vitamin (Folic Acid) Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) Added To Preserve Freshness.)

So basically: oats, sugar, preservatives, and vitamins.

It will ferment.

I'm pretty sure the marshmallows will completely dissolve in the boil. The cereal you could toss in a paint strainer bag and steep. It might completely dissolve if you left it in the boil too.

I imagine the effect would be like adding the equal amount of torrified wheat or flaked oats.

I doubt any of the magically delicious flavor will carry over.

If you want to include a breakfast cereal I'd suggest something a little more grain based. As in a hot cereal that is all various grains in addition to your grist.

Now as far as lucky charms on your ingredient list goes, I do have a suggestion. To sanitize the marshmallows leave about a litre or so (quart should do) out of the batch size. Boil it separately, then mix the marshmallows in with it. They'll likely melt pretty quick. Add that to the fermenter/wort before chilling. Not that I really condone the use of them as an ingredient but this is my recommended method if you do.

Lucky Charms INGREDIENTS: Lucky Charms (Oats, (Whole Grain Oats, Flour), Marshmallows (Sugar, Modified Corn Starch, Corn Syrup, Dextrose, Gelatin, Calcium Carbonate, Yellow 5 & 6, Blue 1, Red 40), Artificial Flavor, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Corn Starch, Salt, Calcium Carbonate, Artificial Color, Trisodium Phosphate, Zinc And Iron (Mineral Nutrients), Vitamin C (Sodium Ascorbic), A "B" Vitamin (Niacinamide), Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin), Vitamin B1, Thiamin Mononitrate), Vitamin A, (Palmitate), A B Vitamin (Folic Acid) Vitamin B12, Vitamin D, Vitamin E (Mixed Tocopherols) Added To Preserve Freshness.)

I would chuck the cereal and do like others suggested in just adding oats, maybe some wheat, then a whack of corn syrup to the boil (gotta keep it authentic).

You might want to set aside a gallon from your original batch and dry marsh the marshmallows to see if that's worth doing for a whole batch. If you are worried about sanitation then you could simmer the marshmallows in 160F water for a little while to pasteurize.

I noticed that you said you were brewing this from an extract kit. I'd strongly suggest that you just brew a plain IPA so you know how well it comes out first before you get experimental. If your base beer sucks, there's no chance in the world the lucky charms are going to help it.

Agreed! I am a step ahead... I brewed a Hoppyum clone that I had planned to use as a comparison. The Lucky Charms would be the same recipe just the addition of the cereal.

As for the cereal, my plan would be to use just a small bit if it in the mash since I don't expect it to really contribute. Really, I just want to say "it's in there". The marshmallow charms are really what I'm after.

You might want to set aside a gallon from your original batch and dry marsh the marshmallows to see if that's worth doing for a whole batch. If you are worried about sanitation then you could simmer the marshmallows in 160F water for a little while to pasteurize.

"Drymarsh". Love it.

I am fully aware that this is bonkers but I appreciate the helpful tips!

I think it's a cool idea. I'd try a small batch just to say you did it.

If you're bottling, I'd wonder if you could use melted/boiled marshmallows in water as the priming sugar.

They might end up leaving some funky gunk in the bottles, but even if they do if it's minimal it might still be worth it. The color would be kind of weird though, you might want to separate the marshmallows by color and prime/bottle a gallon at a time with individual colors, since it'll make a serious impact on the beer color.

Even if you are kegging, I'd measure the marshmallows by weight and match the necessary weight of sucrose or corn sugar in marshmallows for carbonation, and force carb a little more if it's under.

"Here, try my 'Pot o' Gold Amber Ale'!"
"Why is it blue?"

It's an extract batch. The cereal won't convert, but it will contribute starch to the wort.

The marshmallows, well, no.
i didn't see that. i can't get my head around this idea. extract kit with boxes of lucky charms added in. seems like messin about in the kitchen to me.

It's an extract batch. The cereal won't convert, but it will contribute starch to the wort.

And that's the thread-ender, in my book. How's this for another? Preservatives.

EDIT: I see someone went over the ingredients list and it looks like Vitamin E is the only preservative, but I'm not sure I actually believe it. I know how little potassium sorbate, for instance, it takes to keep any yeast from doing their thing (even if you use that god-awful "bread yeast to absorb the preservative" trick).

STOP THE MADNESS!

Original Poster - Go drink some beer. Some REAL beer. Beer blessed by abbots. Sour beers. Beers brewed through the ages.

People don't habitually brew with Fruit Loops for a reason. Really.

Fruit Loop beers are an abomination (and I am atheist). Please, think about this.

I know I'm late to the party here, but here are my thoughts:

• Lucky Charms contains no marshmallows. There are things in there that pretend to be marshmallows, but I don't think anyone would actually confuse them for a real marshmallows. I'm not sure they'll even dissolve. I wouldn't worry about sanitizing them because they are 99.79% preservatives already. They'll probaby kill all your yeast. I think if you buried them in a casket with a body and a Twinkie, and dug it up in 100 years, the only thing left would be the the Lucky Charms 'marshmallows'. They'd even outlast the Twinkie.
  • Are you doing this just so you can open a bottle, take a swig, and sing 'It's Magically Delicious'? Be honest.

I'm curious how the dyes in the marshmallows will affect the color. I'm picturing some pinkish, greenish otherworldly color.

Update: I went ahead with this beer despite mixed feedback. I knew there was a big chance of this turning out horrible.

I used an IPA recipe I had previously used so that I could compare. The only recipe changes I made was put a handful of the cereal (separated from the marshmallows) into my grain sack. I then placed about half of a large box's marshmallows into primary fermentation.

The gravity came in at about 4%, which was 2% lower than the non-lucky recipe came in at. Not a problem to me, but worth noting the effect it took.

Color remained identical to the original recipe. Mouthfeel was much smoother than the original. Taste was very similar with the only noticeable difference being a slight vanilla-y/marshamallow-y taste on the finish.

Conclusion: It's great as a gimmick-- I did indeed brew using the Lucky Charms and people are very curious to taste it. I probably wouldn't brew it again simply because the effect it had on the beer was not significant enough, and there are many more experiments to be had. However, it still tastes great, and I consider it a success-- and I got this fantastic photo out of it ...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ick1auc2cmbecem/luckycharmsprimary.jpg

If you had signed your original post "Sam Calagione" people would be saying you were a genius for coming up with something so original.

Go for it dude...in the name of "science." THEN do a Fruity Pebble brew....:fro:

If you had signed your original post "Sam Calagione" people would be saying you were a genius for coming up with something so original.

Truth

I've done many similar experiments

Best is the Tootsie Roll Ale ...dumped 400 tootsie rolls into the boil of a brown...tasted just like a tootsie roll and the beer even medaled

I find the preservatives /yeast worries to be complete bull **** I've proved it over and over with my weird brews...

Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's about quantities and which preservatives they use. Cider forum will tell you it's not complete BS (so will I, after not reading a label once).

Go for it dude...in the name of "science." THEN do a Fruity Pebble brew....:fro:

I judged a competition a few months ago and had a light hybrid that smelled and tasted exactly like fruity pebbles. It was very interesting to say the least.

Haha, I am bumping this. Came to it on google. I know there is a brewery in ft collins that buys stores out of count chocula every year. I love lucky charms and I want to do this. I cant recall but drew beechum was talking about the weird beer fest they do. Man they go all in, like a cooking show. Anyways I think he said they just put whatever in the mash. So lucky charms straight in the mash. Someone know how many boxes.

As a side note where are all these clever old timers. I have seen such cool work in these old threads.

There's a brewery in Richmond, VA called Strangeways that makes a Lucky Charms IPA--no idea how it's made. It's pretty much dead on for taste. That being said, one pint is plenty :)

Back