brewing all grain prefer equipment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyropilot1

Reaction score
I know may have ask the question and I wont be the last. I currently brew with DME or liquid extract. SO far i have made 3 batch with excellent results.

Now I am going to move to make bigger and repetitive quality.

I have seen the bilchmann, the bre sculpture, the brew magic the RIMMS. the XYZ etc. etc. I like the look of the bilchman pots , but the polar ware I can get a very good discount. I have seen some people make there frames and I can also have the measn of making one SS. If I get some drawings.

Just wonder the cost of making a frankestine set up for 15gal batch is that cheap vs. aquiring soem of the set ups out there.

thanks
Chuck Peterson
ps try making an belgian pale with Caribean Mango you will like it.

It's hard to say without knowing your budget, but you can make good AG beer with a couple of buckets and one pot. Or you can spent $5000 for a system.

Many of us started with a couple of items, and gradually upgraded. I started with a MLT made out of an Igloo cooler (which I still have and use!) and a 7.5 pot.

When I did partial mash batches, I just did the mashing in my bottling bucket by lining it with a grainbag and wrapping with a blanket.

My point is that it's not the equipment that makes a good brew. The equipment may make it more convenient (less heavy stuff to lug around, bigger pots mean less chance of boilover, etc) but you can make good beer with a couple of buckets.

A simple beginner system can be made out of drink coolers, like this: http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/ or http://howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18.html and done on the stovetop or a propane burner. More elaborate systems, like mine, are fun to have but not necessary for most people:

I think it would really be beneficial for you to do a few all-grain batches and get the hang of it before you decide what you want to do equipment-wise.

I think it would really be beneficial for you to do a few all-grain batches and get the hang of it before you decide what you want to do equipment-wise.

I would recommend actually sitting in on someone from your local club do some AG brews and tally his equipment. Ask around what would be a good set-up that's scale-able.

well i sold my sailboat, and sadly I have to spend it before wife think of some thing, Been an experimental aircraft builder I think I could build the stove and stand. I am an electric eng. but have not touch any schematics for a while so any electronic gizmo might buy.

But yes I am thinking on asking the guy who got me hook on this and sells me all the recepies. to let me stand and help. Off course I am looking for books and CD to understand all the lingo of rimms hemms HLT , man when we got so lazy to shorten the words.

I have seen the cooler set up but having my background I like things more mechanical or sound proof , or just more dam complicated so when I do my first batch if it come out right I can say is not just luck.

Started with a DME with a heferwizen and a light belgin ale with Mango every body love the first one on the mango still waiting for inputs. I will post some pics of what I made. critics are welcome:ban:

Hefewizen1.jpg

IMG_20110724_170740.jpg

ok found a local club and the store that sell me all the goodies will invite me to his next all grain brewing. SO I will cool down and will bottle my honker ale clone this weekend. SO trying to find an avaition term for it.

thanks to all
Chuck Peterson

Back