Brewing a Belgian Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhoadsrage

Reaction score
I don't consider Stella or Jupiter to be Belgian Pilsners, I was thinking specifically about 3 Fonteinen's Beersel Lager as a place to start.

Sheldon Brother's (their importer) says" Using the same ingredients as a lambic, he brewed the "Beersel" with organic barley malt, wheat, hops, beet sugar and water.

With a pleasant bitterness, the beer is unfiltered, unpasteurized, and undergoes a secondary fermentation in the bottle."

So I am going to hit the books looking for their lambic ingredients with a beet sugar added and some classic Belgian fresh hops.

So I think it might have some hop qualities like a Belgian Pale Ale just balanced to a Lager.

Anyone every brewed a Belgian Pilsner?
I assumed Belgian Pilsner malt for the bulk then some wheat (malted or unmalted?)
Which hops would you use?

Never brewed a Belgian Pils before, but I would assume like 90% pilsner malt, maybe a touch wheat, touch carapils...

As for hops, probably Saaz/Sterling.

Latest posts

Back