Brewing a Apple lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratinator

Reaction score
I recently went to the states and had reddz apple lager. Does anyone know how this is being done? Using real apples and which step are they being added? I really preferred the apple lager to a cider because it tasted more like a carbonated glass of apple juice rather than that champagne like taste you get from ciders

Sorry after a quick search it's an ale, but I have seen lagers as well

Ya I saw that, Midwest's supplies is selling a extract pre made apple ale kit that has been getting good reviews. I'm designed a quick recipe using an all grain that looks like this:

7 lb - 2-row pale malt
1 lb - honey malt
.5 lb - cara-pils

1 oz hallertaur (60 mins)
1 lb brown sugar (60 mins)

Safale S-05 yeast

.5 gallon pure apple juice added to secondary after initial fermentation
5 oz apple extract at kegging/bottling

Might be showing my knowledge so m\be gentle :eek:
I don't do a secondary. Could I add the juice on flameout before adding yeast?

You might consider a 5-10 minute addition of Calypso. Huge apple flavor, would work excellent in a lager.

Might be showing my knowledge so m\be gentle :eek:
I don't do a secondary. Could I add the juice on flameout before adding yeast?

You could certainly add it after the wort is cooled when you add your yeast.

I have read when adding fruit to a beer, it is best to wait until after primary fermentation is done. I have read a couple reasonings behind this - I think that most importantly the beer will now have alcohol in it which may help ward off an infection if the fruit isn't 100% sanitized (I only have had experience using frozen strawberries - if you are using pasteurized juice then this really isn't an issue). I have never tried two beers side by side that have had the fruit added in the secondary vs. added when the yeast is pitched, so I can't say whether or not the yeast will behave differently, causing different tastes.

I recently went to the states and had reddz apple lager. Does anyone know how this is being done? Using real apples and which step are they being added? I really preferred the apple lager to a cider because it tasted more like a carbonated glass of apple juice rather than that champagne like taste you get from ciders

I am interested myself. For what it's worth I hear a radio commercial daily about how they add two apples to every bottle. No idea when, what kind, or if it is even fresh apples but it might help once deciding how much apple to add.

I will probably mess around with a recipe myself.

Back