Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it’s official, the B20 is defective. 3rd brew this morning, the element in the mash tun scorched. I smelled something burning at around 147 degrees and shut the system down. Drained all tanks and the element has scorched the tun. The false bottom did its job and the bag is fine, but the tun is burned. I have emailed Brewie and will start a help ticket.

Anyone reading or searching on Brewie, I cannot recommend this machine. Look elsewhere!

IMG_0712.jpg
IMG_0714.jpg
IMG_0715.jpg

Sorry man!

I wish I knew the design here. Is the element now toast? I’ve been scrubbing with oxy and the scorch is pretty thick and not coming off. I ruined a few heating elements in my beginning brewing days but the elements were open and easy to replace in my rig for $15-$25. This one, not so easy.

Patience. Let it soak. Or use some oven cleaner and let that soak. Don't use anything acidic or abrasive or you will ruin the steel.

Yup, I’ve learned that lesson well. Only non abrasive blue sponges and oxy. I’m creating an oxy cake and will leave it overnight.

Hopefully Brewie will tell me if the element is fried or just the surface of the tun. I’m not firing up anything without them telling me to do so.

That may not be for weeks, if at all (them responding, I mean).

Knock on wood, they do respond to me. Probably because I cc: everyone at the company that I have ever corresponded with, and they know I won't stop with my daily reminders.

-no doubt I have jinxed myself going forward.

This is a young company. I don't think they have unlimited funds. I think we have more to gain by helping them survive then bleed them dry. They do owe something (A WORKING MACHINE) but they can't possibly have the funds to replace ever gen 1 with a gen 2. If we look at Pico or Apple they stand behind there products and they don't have many problems. With that said I think a machine can be built so it works. I know this one doesn't. How long do we expect a Brewie to last for the money. If they stand behind it with repairs or replacement as needed through that time I would feel taken care of. What would make us happy 5 10 15 years. Lets start asking them for a longer warranty and forget the upgraded until its used as a replacement. Just a thought.

They should be replacing the original pos machines with the new model free of charge. If that ends up bankrupting them so be it. To suggest it's better the original buyer's suck it up as it's a new company is ridiculous. What more can you gain by just purchasing another unit?

That really sucks. Hopefully it won't have to go back (or maybe it will and you'll get a new one, and if you're really lucky, a B+).

About a week ago i received my recall notice. I had sent in a handful of tickets about weird behaviors (not boiling, not hopping properly, not cooling) and i guess one of them triggered the recall - my guess is the heating elements are the main one. I got a rolling boil on my first two batches, but not really on any others. It just hovers between 190-205*F. I even tried covering the vents and putting a towel over the boil tank until it got up to temp (never got about 206 before i gave up and let it breathe). I was kind of hoping i'd get recalled eventually, but further down the road, hoping that i'd get a B+ when it came back.

As a farewell (and to bolster the beer stock before the drought) i did a couple more batches this weekend with similar performance to what i've seen thus far (not really boiling). I'm also only getting about 50-55% efficiency. I tried poking and prodding it more during the mash, splitting the grain bill into two bags (set on either side of the mash inlet port, front/back orientation) with no real increase over prior batches. Another upside of splitting into two bags (aside from the purported efficiency gain) is that you get a small channel on either side at the edges where they meet which is probably sufficient to keep the pump from pulling a vaccuum under the grain bed and scorching the burner. I think i will try also and whip up something to get the sparge water running above the grain bed using some tubing, some 3d printer parts, and maybe one of the aeration plugs that goes into a hose end to get something closer to a fly sparge.

I packed it up after cleaning and thoroughly draining this weekend and will hopefully get it picked up this week. I guess the good thing is that work and other life events will have kept me from brewing until the beginning of May anyway. Here's to hoping they get to the root of all these issues and get working units in our hands sometime before the warranty expires.

Roller coaster afternoon. Got excited when reading about the features of the Brewie to the point of pre-ordering a gen 2 version. Then read this thread, got sad, and canceled my order. Will wait until I read something about the performance of the new product. I'm still hoping that I'll eventually be a customer, and hopeful the company survives this rough patch.

After a few emails back and forth with Balint this morning, Brewie has agreed to recall my unit and send me a B+ FREE of charge. Won't be ready until May, but I have waited this long, so what the heck. I want a working unit. So my advice to any owners is to use the B20 until it dies and the company should replace it with a B+ for free. This is what they should be doing voluntarily anyway.

Another piece of advice, take lots of pictures if anything goes wrong. Balint accused me of not using the false bottom based on their "remote monitoring" of my brew session. So they are keeping logs of our brewing sessions. I showed him pictures of the false bottom the moment I stopped my brew session, and he recanted.

My saga continues.....

I sent back my Brewie after three brew sessions and a recall notice. Ended up getting an induction burner, 10 gallon SS kettle, and a Robobrew. Brewed on it 3 times so far and it's actually a seamless process compared to the Brewie.

Remote monitoring of your brew sessions? Jeez. Another reason not to trust this company.
Pretty common with these set ups. I expect that the Zymatic folks get a pretty penny for the intellectual knowledge of who is brewing what kinds of beer how often in what part of the world.

Pretty common with these set ups. I expect that the Zymatic folks get a pretty penny for the intellectual knowledge of who is brewing what kinds of beer how often in what part of the world.
I doubt zymatic claims you were using the machine wrong when it craps out like all the others via there remote monitoring. That's abit cheeky

"I sent back my Brewie after three brew sessions and a recall notice. Ended up getting an induction burner, 10 gallon SS kettle, and a Robobrew. Brewed on it 3 times so far and it's actually a seamless process compared to the Brewie."

Which induction burner did you go with?

I doubt zymatic claims you were using the machine wrong when it craps out like all the others via there remote monitoring. That's abit cheeky
Nope. I must agree there. They are the customer is always right, what can we do for you, kind type of organization.

Last edited:
Ok brewing folks, so I stood my ground and went back and forth with Brewie many times between Balint, Marcel, and other Brewie employees. My unit went back on recall in the middle of February or so. At that time I was firm, but diplomatic with them that I didn't want a replacement machine or a Brewie plus. I wanted a refund. After a few weeks, Marcel emailed me directly and asked if I was sure I didn't want the B+ upgrade, that I did in fact want the refund. He said he had to discuss things with Balint and the financial department, but at no time did they flat our refuse or say no. They softly said they had to talk with other departments. I stood my ground and used @HarkinBanks strategy of emailing them persistently, not daily necessarily, but consistently. It paid off.

So, I paid $1999, which included the "free" Brewie Pad and starter equipment set with the bucket and mini kegs. However, I only received $1830. I call this close enough, considering I was able to ship my unit back on them, used the Brewie Pad, kept and starter equipment set, and used it for other brew sessions. I will take the refund with good value returned for my $$$.

I implore you to stand firm with these guys, they are decent in the end, they do the right thing.

I think they are simply overwhelmed with everything and bit off more than they could chew.

I am a massive fan of PicoBrew's, and have a preorder in on the Z. I also know that they have AB InBev as an investor, and have a feeling this is a big part of what ABI would like to obtain through any partnership with PicoBrew.

As a fan of easily accessible, tasty beer I'm also OK with this fact.

My wife surprised me with a Brewie. Three weeks later they upgraded their machine. The one I had not used at the time. They would not let me do a straight up exchange. Now my unit will not drain. I am on hour two on calibration...... Pissed beyond words

I just got my UPS recall tag and will ship my defective unit back tomorrow. I will wait for the B+ to be released in May or June.

Interesting that you cannot order the original Brewie anymore on the website, only the B+. Morebeer still shows the original in stock in their warehouses.

Another tip if you send back your unit, take lots of pictures and send them to Brewie. Pics of the unit unpacked, and then packed securely. That way if anything gets damaged in transit it is on the shipping company. That happened when I sent my first defective unit back!

Last edited:
I have been waiting for a few weeks on a courier pickup. I tried using their web form to get a pickup and it just kept error-ing out. Balint tried to schedule one for a couple of weeks with no success. I guess they gave up on the whole courier stuff because i got my UPS label yesterday as well. Packed up, pictures taken and shipped off this morning. I'm still a bit bummed that i won't be getting a B+ back, but if i get a working B20, i'll be not unhappy. I guess there's still time within the warranty for it to spontaneously combust like some others, but with new burners and whatever else they swap, i have a feeling it'll outlast whatever remaining warranty they give me once i get it back.

Does anyone have any insight on a warranty extension after service? Mine has been ready to ship for nearly a month now, just waiting on them to pick it up, add to that however long the service time is and i'm probably out of commission for around 10-15% of my entire warranty period.

Anyone else have any success stories? This forum reads more like an obituary for B20s at this point. I check regularly, but so much sadness.

I ended up taking my Brewie to the local UPS store and dropped it off with the pre-paid mailer. The last time I waited 3 weeks for UPS to show up and then they claimed they couldn't see the giant Brewie box sitting in front of my garage and left - they eventually came back a few days later and picked up the box after I put it on my front porch. Brewie's automated email system confirmed receipt in a NJ warehouse/recall location yesterday. So now I wait for a new unit, again.

I have asked about extending the warranty several times with no reply. I have two warranty cards now, one from my first Brewie and one from my second. If I get my replacement B+ in May or June, I will have a third. My advice is still the same to any current B20 owner, brew with it and it will eventually die and they will replace it for free with a B+. They aren't even selling the B20 anymore on their website, which is a clear indication to me that the B20 is defective and should be recalled.

I just received my replacement B20 from MoreBeer. I purchased the original a week ago and had problems with the power-on. MoreBeer replaced it right away shipping a new one within 48 hours. I did a Safety Clean, Calibration, Unclogging and Test brew. I used my Braumeister dome to help bringing the temp up faster.
IMG_2288.PNG
IMG_2285.jpg
IMG_2286.jpg
IMG_2287.jpg
Keep my fingers closed.

I just received my replacement B20 from MoreBeer. I purchased the original a week ago and had problems with the power-on. MoreBeer replaced it right away shipping a new one within 48 hours. I did a Safety Clean, Calibration, Unclogging and Test brew. I used my Braumeister dome to help bringing the temp up faster. View attachment 565241 View attachment 565242 View attachment 565243 View attachment 565244 Keep my fingers closed.

If you have only just purchased the unit return it now and order the new model if your set on the "brewie" . to keep the original flawed unit is absurd if you have the option to return it

If you have only just purchased the unit return it now and order the new model if your set on the "brewie" . to keep the original flawed unit is absurd if you have the option to return it

I hear you. This unit seems to be working perfectly. I like the Brewie. I have a 60-day return window and MoreBeer told me that if I had more problems, I could return it or exchange for the Plus. The big issue is that nobody knows when the Plus will start shipping or if it will be reasonably trouble-free.

Also, Brewie support is improving. I am getting pretty fast response to my emails. I will run a bunch of brews and compare the results to my Braumeister. Cheers.

I hear you. This unit seems to be working perfectly. I like the Brewie. I have a 60-day return window and MoreBeer told me that if I had more problems, I could return it or exchange for the Plus. The big issue is that nobody knows when the Plus will start shipping or if it will be reasonably trouble-free.

Also, Brewie support is improving. I am getting pretty fast response to my emails. I will run a bunch of brews and compare the results to my Braumeister. Cheers.

I just finished my first Bewie brew. I have to say that it was a fantastic experience. Iwas concerned because of all negative reviews, but at the end of the day I could not ask for a better experience. The machine performed as advertised from beginning to the end. Went through all the steps without a hiccup. I got to a rolling boil reaching 102 F at 80% of first boiling step. All in all, I am sold.

My only doubt is whether or not efficiency was a little low. I brewed the Hopersonic Brewie Pad IPA and OG came out to 1.045. Unfortunately I don't know what it was supposed to be.
IMG_2296.jpg
IMG_2304.jpg
IMG_2296.jpg

Last edited:
I just finished my first Bewie brew. I have to say that it was a fantastic experience. Iwas concerned because of all negative reviews, but at the end of the day I could not ask for a better experience. The machine performed as advertised from beginning to the end. Went through all the steps without a hiccup. I got to a rolling boil reaching 102 F at 80% of first boiling step. All in all, I am sold.

My only doubt is whether or not efficiency was a little low. I brewed the Hopersonic Brewie Pad IPA and OG came out to 1.045. Unfortunately I don't know what it was supposed to be.
View attachment 565815View attachment 565816View attachment 565815

You can calc efficiency by checking the water amounts and grain weight from the recipe profiles. I brewed two brews before my b20 died. Both brews were close to perfect process-wise but I had efficiency around 50% and very weak beers. I think they are using too much water on their first recipes. I think the newer recipes are dialed in a bit more. If I ever get my b+ and it works I am going to ask them if there is a way to program a full volume recirculating mash. I think that will eliminate a lot of problems with the unit.

KISS.

They have too many steps in their process right now. There is no need to do a smaller recirculating mash and then add the “sparge” water after the mash. Just do a full volume recirculating mash between the Bk and MLT. Heat up to mash out temp and then fill the Bk. This would prevent any kind of scorching problem in the MLT that we have seen.

Received the below email on Monday and my Hungarian friend Balint confirmed that I am in the first 150 units and should receive my B+ in May. The translation to English made me chuckle:

Hi there brew brothers!

We love to start the week with some serious news flash and the greatest news of Monday are being delivered to all of our fellow homebrewers!

We're proudly announcing that the mass-production of the Brewie+ has started and your previously ordered all-in-one brewing machines soon begin their adventurous journey towards our warehouses! The first one and a half hundred machines are ready to roll and from the beginning of this week we're going to aggravate the producing and provide you a weekly steady flow of updates.

Hey everyone. I have had the Brewie for over a year. Brewed 16 batches so far. No problems at all. Brewie has really helped me brew more with having little time due to family and work.

I've been referring the brewie Facebook advertising to this post as I feel there still screwing all the early buyer's and now trying to get another round of buyers without fixing the originals. There reply is priceless........ Turns out homebrew talk users have false information and should be using the Facebook page. That's why your machines aren't working.
Screenshot_20180511-135935.jpeg

Out of curiosity I visited the brewie Facebook page but couldn't find any good reviews on there either. Lots of people wondering when theres would be available but no real users experience

Check the Brewie Owners Group not the brewie page. They're many happy users there.

Back