Brewie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know. I am in France and waiting to order. I want a real review from someone who already brews beer.

Great job Tiputus with the Facebook page! It is just what I needed to keep me updated with the Brewie and all the new owners brewing on it. It seems it has a few bugs but for all the wait it has lived up to its promise. Great stuff.

Interesting valves... they are pinch valves, not ball valves! Smart, as there is no space for junk to collect. Brilliant actually. But I wonder how many cycles the tubing can endure. Silicone is pretty durable, but I wonder.

That said, some of the user reports in the FB page show progess but problems also. From leaking machines to buggy software (chattering solenoids, elements heating when they shouldn't), other issues) it sounds like they rushed this out the door not fully qualified/tested. I am sure they will work through the issues. That's the price for such a complicated automated undertaking.

This is definitely one system I would wait for Gen 2 or later on. Considering the multiple delays in release and questionable customer service(I tried to contact them via email multiple times over a month ago with no response to date), I just cant risk the money on one of these right now. The other concern I have is what you do if something goes wrong. Ship it back to Hungary? Will you even get a response from Brewie if something does go wrong? This was the system I was most excited about as well...

They're making co-operation with a company which is somehow involved in manufacturing and servicing Toyota, PS3 and XBoX... Brewie announced about year ago that this guarantees world wide service organization!

15994840_10154986547453060_2024573131041066164_o_zpshqipzlv0.jpg

16107106_10154986547663060_7051648331435009698_o_zpsoer5yqjm.jpg

I have been studying this thread over the last year or so & with the pics now becoming available (Facebook Group), there is certainly a lot going on under the hood. Kinked hose anyone for a start. My other concern is the heat exchanger, having owned several in the past my cleaning regime would involve a lot more than just a rinse through.

I wouldn't sweat that kinked line - its high pressure and under water pressure it will open up/flow fine.

I am shocked they used worm/screw clamps. That's a big no-no. Too much variability, even if properly torqued. Hence the leaking! I think the valves are really cool. They are using a servo on an arm with roller to pinch the tubing. Great idea, just not sure how durable.

That was on cage two, this is three. If you look closely at the top of the photo you can see a sliver of what I assume is cage 2 with hop particulates as well.

Lots to complain about with Brewie, but I don't think the size of the hops mesh is one of them. If you want to contain more, use a bag?

Anyone experience with cancelling and getting a refund? Really not comfortable with the evidence for this product?

Brewie has a lot more problems than some hops left behind. The user group on FB is showing lots of initial issues. One machine overfilled and overflowed!! Another circumstance had the MT heater on with no liquid in it. This on top of leaks, machines that don't clean, machines that don't drain, machines which leak, WiFi issues like crazy, a brew which didn't restart upon power loss, etc.

I am confident all of these issues are software based (well, not leaks) and will be remedied but there really no excuse for doing everything as a company poorly. You can't suck at communicating AND suck at engineering - that just means you suck. At least do one thing right.

Anyone experience with cancelling and getting a refund? Really not comfortable with the evidence for this product?

I got a refund but it was a long time ago and even then, it was a hassle. The problem is it is a kickstarter and per Kickstarter rules, once the project is funded and ends, they don't have to give you a refund. It is at the sole discretion of Brewis at that point, and with the way things are going, especially with their lack of communication, I highly doubt they are going to give you one. But it's worth a try. I'm so glad I backed out when I did. Lesson learned though. I will never do one of those again. I'd rather pay more when a fully working and tested product is released.

A couple of years back there was an infamous photo of a heat exchanger that had been taken apart, that heat exchanger had not been cleaned properly or had adequate filtering before receiving the wort, the picture wasn't good. As I mentioned a page a back what is the cleaning regime for the heat exchanger?
What filters are in place before the heat exchanger? & are they designed for pellets or flower?

One further question why has the FB page censored the photo's being published?

A couple of years back there was an infamous photo of a heat exchanger that had been taken apart, that heat exchanger had not been cleaned properly or had adequate filtering before receiving the wort, the picture wasn't good. As I mentioned a page a back what is the cleaning regime for the heat exchanger?
What filters are in place before the heat exchanger? & are they designed for pellets or flower?

Yeah - a plate chiller that can't really be accessed - ugh.

The real problem with PCs is that at each turn, there are cavities for eddie currents to be established, and the hops or other debris just sits there and spins. Someday someone (probably Blichmann!) will make one that has positive flow paths.

Yes... censoring photos is BS!! I see those photos were clipped from the source too. Brewie must have dropped the hammer. But unless explicitly stated in the purchase agreement, they have no right to do so.

This is where I am at, a stainless box, a couple of tanks, a few pumps, solenoids, a couple of baskets, a heat exchanger, lot of hose & a software management system = 2K = 2 years+ in the making = I really want one (not at that price tag! no matter how CHEAP the early birds were!) but a PROJECT for me to work on & improve upon. Anyone got a machine in the UK going early bird?

I'm the one who created Brewie Owners Group, and I'm the one who removed the pics from the group! Why? Because Brewie's wish was that they don't want them to be published! As a group we want to keep team Brewie there, and don't want to totally piss them off! Pics are here, no one can take them away from online anymore! Anyone who needs those pics can still check them out and/or download those for later use from here! Brewie has ignored this thread from the beginning, but they can't ignore the new group I created! We want to use the power of the group to make them listen to us and communicate, not to start a war with them!

I understand, but no one would be taking their machine apart if it didn't leak from the factory!!

I could almost make the reverse argument. But again I understand. It's your group so do how you like. I am against censorship on social media personally, so my choice will be to refrain from visiting or not.

I understand, but no one would be taking their machine apart if it didn't leak from the factory!!

I could almost make the reverse argument. But again I understand. It's your group so do how you like. I am against censorship on social media personally, so my choice will be to refrain from visiting or not.

Well, me too! Gabby has been censoring many appropriate questions at their official FB-site and that has annoyed me very much! I didn't think this was so big deal as the pics can be found here! If it wasn't like that I would probably have given it more thoughts! I see your point but try to admin the group best way I can (with my co-admins)! We are independent group, Brewie isn't telling us what to do or what not to do! I'm trying to think what's best for members/ group without loosing the trust of anyone! I thank you for your feedback!

Your FB group, you do what you think is best, especially if they are at least playing along at the moment.

My opinion is a picture is worth a thousand words, if someone has chance to study the pictures they might be able to help with fault diagnostics / alternative ways of doing things / possible pitfalls to avoid, the heat exchanger & filters are an area which should be discussed in detail.
If they are concerned about a clone unit being produced, well anyone wanting to do that would just "try" and buy a unit & take it apart themselves.
There are many members of whatever forum around the globe with considerable experience of building brewing equipment from bits and bobs that might be able to help if given the chance.

I'll remain quiet again ;)

Your FB group, you do what you think is best, especially if they are at least playing along at the moment.

My opinion is a picture is worth a thousand words, if someone has chance to study the pictures they might be able to help with fault diagnostics / alternative ways of doing things / possible pitfalls to avoid, the heat exchanger & filters are an area which should be discussed in detail.
If they are concerned about a clone unit being produced, well anyone wanting to do that would just "try" and buy a unit & take it apart themselves.
There are many members of whatever forum around the globe with considerable experience of building brewing equipment from bits and bobs that might be able to help if given the chance.

I'll remain quiet again ;)

So you're saying best way to solve the problems is to make team Brewie angry and give a **** about what they want? Again, the pics are available here! So what's the problem!

I don't seem to have the problem, your the one using **** not me.

Have you asked why Brewie don't want any pictures posted? if so what reason.

I ask the question here so its not subject to any censorship.

Just been searching through the last few pages, I can find 3 pictures so far, where do I find the rest of them?

Just been searching through the last few pages, I can find 3 pictures so far, where do I find the rest of them?

I'd ask from the person who posted those 3 pics here. Very probable that he has rest of the pics too!

I don't seem to have the problem, your the one using **** not me.

Have you asked why Brewie don't want any pictures posted? if so what reason.

I ask the question here so its not subject to any censorship.

I asked Erik about the pics and he answered:

"I deleted them as Brewie asked me to do so regarding patents and such."

Seriously, I think you're making this "pics gate" bigger issue than it is! You can judge me because of censoring the pics, can't help it! My intentions are good however! The pics I removed @Brewie Owners Group are the same 3 pics that are found here! Rest of the pics were removed from Erik's album by himself, not by me! I rest my case and hope we don't have to continue this conversation! We are at the same side remember?

Yep all on the same page, can you or any other Brewie owner tell me how the cleaning cycle works. Is it all automatic or is there manual labour involved.

Are there any drainage points around the system, after use / after the cleaning cycle is there any liquid left in the system / pipework.

With regard the patients issue, is that because the Brewie team have invented a new pump / hose / heat exchanger / clip / piece of equipment or can you patient the way they are used in conjunction with each other?

Sorry for asking so many questions but dependant on answer it would make my mind up if I were to purchase a Brewie.

Yep all on the same page, can you or any other Brewie owner tell me how the cleaning cycle works. Is it all automatic or is there manual labour involved.

Are there any drainage points around the system, after use / after the cleaning cycle is there any liquid left in the system / pipework.

With regard the patients issue, is that because the Brewie team have invented a new pump / hose / heat exchanger / clip / piece of equipment or can you patient the way they are used in conjunction with each other?

Sorry for asking so many questions but dependant on answer it would make my mind up if I were to purchase a Brewie.

There are 2 cleaning programs! To quote my buddy at BOG:

"Cleaning: there is a world of difference between automatic clean (short-coldwater-No detergent, only fills half way) and Big clean (takes an hour, heats water and uses double detergent). Automatic clean does not do the job, its like a cold rinse. Big clean is good and effective. Quickly use the sponge high up in the tank (maybe the water should climb another centimetre to knock off the residue-rim), and you should be fine. I'll probably use Big clean after every time I brew, and automatic clean if the machine had sat there for a while before next brew. So I reckon cleaning can be tweaked a little, but overall has passed the test."

No drainage points, and yes there is clearly some water left behind to system/ hoses! After running the cleaning program or "full drainage" there is small amount of water at the bottom of the tanks (about 2dl) which has to be removed with a sponge. After doing this I can see that there is still water in the bottom hole which leads to the hose.

Don't have answer you to patent questions.

At this point, I'd wait how Brewie can react solving the problems that exist and how fast they can develope the sw. The machine is very promising and if developed to right direction will meet my expectations! Buying one right now... I think you should wait a moment and see how things go!

Back