Brewhouse Sanity Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
Okay, so I've been tweaking my new hybrid RIM system and have been getting much higher Brewhouse Efficiencies which are busting my OG targets.

I'm been attempting to adjust my calculations to accommodate the new rig but I'm running into puzzling numbers.

I have a grain bill which has an extract potential (100%) of 1.048 or 48 points. After mash, my preboil pot volume is 9.25 gals with a SG of 1.050 at 60*F. I "think" this is pretty much impossible since my efficiency will be greater than 100%. I considered I may have measured my grains wrong or possibly mis-read my preboil volume but I really don't think so.

Any ideas of what I may be seeing or why my Brewhouse yield would appear to be greater than 100%?

It's possible that the pre-boil volume was off somewhere in your calculations, that or the specific grain that you listed in your software varied slightly from what you have. I know in some of the software American 2-row has a different point potential than Canadian 2-row, and so forth. Being off only .002 is not hugely significant... if you were expecting 100% conversion. If you were expecting 80% or so, than likely your pre-boil volume is off.

You're right, that's pretty much impossible. Hate to ask, but did you cool your hydro sample before reading, or convert it down to 60F? What's your grain bill?

Thanks guys. I did look up the correct grain and I did cool the Hydro sample. I guess I just need to recognize I blew it with grain measurement or water level. Sad state of affairs for a seasoned brewer and I wasn't even drinking at the time... :D

Thanks for the feedback...

Happens to the best of us. In the end it will be beer, and most likely pretty good beer. Cheers.

Back