Brewgr...grrrrrrrrr >:(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingiwasfishing

Reaction score
I've been using Brewgr for some time now...all my recipes are in there. For the most part...I'm a fan of the site.

But, I've got a few things that are grinding my gears...

First off...the yeast and the hops selections need to be updated. I'm aware you can add a custom ingredient and add a limited amount of parameters...but it doesn't update and stay in the list of new hops, or new yeast.

The other thing is getting options in there for whirlpooling hop. Why in the world isn't there an option yet for whirlpooling?

I've tried a few other brewing programs and I didn't like the overall feeling as much as Brewgr, But I can't keep making do with Brewgr's lack of features much longer!!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the suggestion...

I sent feedback to them. The blog doesn't look like it allows for any forum type posts. It hasn't been updated in quite some time either. On those two accounts it doesn't look very promising.

I use Beersmith. I just looked at Brewgr. To me it is so simplified......

I used the predecessor to Brewtoad and brewed some good beer, but it lacked the ability to control to the extent I wanted.

After a couple brews dialing in Beersmith I prefer it by far. I have heard that Brad is working on a more user friendly UI. I hope so. Though it is a bit clunky to use it is a great piece of software.

I would use beersmith but I don't run windows. Brewers friend caught me up in the beginning offering me free months and then started charging me but I like it I think it keeps adding features.

I would use beersmith but I don't run windows. Brewers friend caught me up in the beginning offering me free months and then started charging me but I like it I think it keeps adding features.

Beersmith works on Mac too. Unless you're on another OS, you should be good.

I recently tried BeerSmith, and I don't doubt what a powerful tool it is...but there are many issues I found with the interface. I'll have to revisit it again...or perhaps wait for the new version.

thanks for the suggestions

Doesn't work on Linux, I tried messing with the emulator to no avail. I like free OSs when my windows upgrade doesn't go so well :)

Brewtarget works on Linux and is pretty awesome. Looks like this.

brewtarget.png

Doesn't Apple have parts that run Windows nowadays???? I thought you could run both on an Apple. I tried Apple products a while ago and was less than impressed. It might not have had virus issues but it was NOT better. Also in those days - very limiting on software available......

You can buy a PC laptop for less than $250 that will run anything you want and Beersmith. Try doing that with Apple......

BTW there are 2 versions of Beersmith. The PC version is full with all options accessible. The android, phone app is not the full version. There are limitations on the app.

I have brew target on my computer since this morning and I am still getting my head around it.

Also I am looking at beer Smith, with 1 question and that are units English,metric. So I understand metric is the same all over the world, but pound US vs UK is different. Many recipes are in pounds but which one?

I have been trying to figure that out all day now

I have brew target on my computer since this morning and I am still getting my head around it.

Also I am looking at beer Smith, with 1 question and that are units English,metric. So I understand metric is the same all over the world, but pound US vs UK is different. Many recipes are in pounds but which one?

Brewtarget lets you specify your units, either metric, American Imperial or even British imperial. Its in tools ---> options. You will get a dialogue box like the one below.

Brewtarget_2.png

Brewtarget lets you specify your units, either metric, American Imperial or even British imperial. Its in tools ---> options. You will get a dialogue box like the one below.

I understand which makes it nice, but when looking up recipes online like on the forum network. How do you differ UK/US pounds.? Sorry I have only used metric all me life

I understand which makes it nice, but when looking up recipes online like on the forum network. How do you differ UK/US pounds.? Sorry I have only used metric all me life

Pretty much noone uses british imperial units, if it says pounds or gallons you can assume its US.

Sure which is probably why a grain bill is better thought of in percentages. Recipes are only approximations anyway as they slightly differ depending on everyones set up. I don't think I have ever seen a recipe in British imperial units and have always assumed that non metric is US traditional. If I came across a recipe in British imperial units i would convert it using the little converter tool which would maintain the relative ratios in grist anyway regardless of whether it was British or American units and simply adjust it until i reached the correct projected OG for my particular set up. This can be done using the scale recipe function in tools.

brewtarget_3.png

Sure which is probably why a grain bill is better thought of in percentages. Recipes are only approximations anyway as they slightly differ depending on everyones set up. I don't think I have ever seen a recipe in British imperial units and have always assumed that non metric is US traditional. If I came across a recipe in British imperial units i would convert it using the little converter tool which would maintain the relative ratios in grist anyway regardless of whether it was British or American units and simply adjust it until i reached the correct projected OG for my particular set up. This can be done using the scale recipe function in tools.

Thank you, Those Screen shots give me the idea, that you are not aiming for the exact conversion but an estimated conversion from LB to KG, Because many Recipes are in Imperials.

it will be a bit harder in the beginning but once you get your head arround it should be easy.

thank you again

I don't believe pound UK is different from pound US. US just doesn't use stone.

Thank you, Those Screen shots give me the idea, that you are not aiming for the exact conversion but an estimated conversion from LB to KG, Because many Recipes are in Imperials.

it will be a bit harder in the beginning but once you get your head arround it should be easy.

thank you again

Hi most welcome - it appears to me that the main thing is keeping the relative ratios between the different malts, 90% pale malt will always be 90% pale malt regardless of what unit is used. :D

Back