Brewery Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atoughram

Reaction score
I decided over the last year that it was time to do some updating on my brewery. My stand needs some ergonomic updates and I'm converting my 120V RIMS to a 240V system and electrifying my HLT. My Brew stand started out as a workbench in it's former life. I added some angle iron top rails and made a two tier stand out of it. With a top rail on both sides, I am forced to lift the grain laden MT out of it to empty it. I'm redesigning the front rail a bit and installing a set of better casters so that it's easier to move around.

Here's a start!

DSCN0976.jpg

DSCN0977.jpg

DSCN0978.jpg

I'll be using a 18" RIMS tube from Brewhardware with a Auberin SYL-2352 controlling Mash temps. The HLT will have the existing SYL-2362 firing a 40a SSR into a 5500W element with one of Bobby's cool tri-clamp fittings soldered on.

Most of the parts are ordered - my Christmas present to myself... :) I'll update as I progress with this project!

All the electrical removed, new holes drilled and Hammertone Black paint on the front of the enclosure!

IMAG0074.jpg

do you have a link to the paint you used? It looks really good. I should be painting my panel next week and like the color a lot.

Did you use a primer or do any sanding prior to painting?

I sanded the existing paint with a D/A Sander and didnt use primer. Just scuffed the shiny paint and sanded any scratches and then wiped it with denatured alcohol and a rag before painting. I let it dry for two days in the ferm chamber at 70f, then went to put it in the oven for an hour or so at 250f but SWMBO caught me before even getting the oven on.. :cross: So I hit it with a hair dryer for a bit to harden the paint up. (Up here in the Pacific Northwet [sic] spray paint takes forever to dry during the rainy season)

Last edited by a moderator:
Spa panel connected today, installed the master relay in the spa panel and DIN rail, breakers, and terminal strips in the control box. Look like it's going to be 10 pounds of hops in a 5 pound bag in there.

IMAG0076.jpg

New 50a Outlet and now running and tests complete so far on 240V. Running out of hardware to install, so I'll have to wait for it to arrive!

IMAG0085.jpg

IMAG0084.jpg

Wish I still lived by Pile-up :) Since then I have moved, or I would help when I could :")

Thanks!

Had to make a minor adjustment today - moved the green light to where the alarm light is on the side and the alarm light to where the green light was on the front of the panel. The timer was hitting the alarm light when the cover was closed.

Like I said - 10 pounds of hops in a 5 pound bag..

THHN wire is hard to make look good - but I couldn't find MTW.

Looking for the last big shipment from Bobby to finish it up!

IMAG0089.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

32a with both pumps running and both elements firing! AWESOME!! I'll be brewing in the next week or two, just running oxy through it all today. Thanks to Brewhardware.com, ebrewsupply.com & Auber! Your stuff is awesome!

I think it's finished! Put an element in the BK and cleaned it all up today!
DSCN1073.JPG

Sure has changed a bit since I put it together in 2002.
Bomber%20Meeting%20and%20first%20RIMS%20brew%20012.jpg

Good work, I like your control panel

Thanks!

I installed a fan on the BK sub-panel today. I was noticing that the SSVR was putting of a lot of heat (It is on a heat sink) while in use, but since it's inside of the panel, the whole panel warmed up. I'm making a batch of beer tomorrow, we'll see how it works!

I found an 80mm muffin fan that runs on 240VAC! SCORE!

Question: The heating element you got is 9.5" long. With the 18" RIMS tube how long of a temp probe did you end up with?

Cheers and thank you.
Jim Bonnet

Question: The heating element you got is 9.5" long. With the 18" RIMS tube how long of a temp probe did you end up with?

Cheers and thank you.
Jim Bonnet

I started with a 2" and now have a 4".

If I had to do it all over again, I'd have ordered the 12" Rims instead on the 18" tube.

Live and learn... and share what you've learned on the forums.. :D

Latest posts

Back