Brewer's yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

narl79

Reaction score
So guys im walking in a pharmacy and I saw some brewers yeast pills and just had to ask the inevitable. Can you use these in some way for beer or are they just some kind of supplement.

Try it... You will be the first to know.

It might work but why would you want to use a yeast strain that you can not identify.

Because a bottle is on sale for 3.59 for 1000 tabs and thought what if I coukd use 1 or 2 per batch and be stocked for life ha ha. Not really I was just wondering if any body ever tried using them in some way.

I think im going to do a 1 gl test batch what the hell right. Im thinking rehydrate like a pack of sa 05.

If it's in pill form, it's probably dead. It might be able to be used as yeast nutrient, assuming there's nothing else added to the pill.

I was thinking that too. As I look at it it looks just like my yeast nutrient in pill form... As soon as I get home today im going to do a little research.

The yeast in those pills is no longer viable. It has been processed into those pills for the vitamin & mineral content.

As others have already stated the yeast is no longer viable but I do believe it can be used as a yeast nutrient for starters and brewing.

Back