Brewers Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDFH

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm quite new to brewing and my induction was based on two factors.
1: I inherited mostly everything I needed for the job.
2: I live 25 mins from dogfish brewery in DE
My main question is I have stumbled on an organic food store that sells 1 lb bags of "brewers yeast" now apparently some people eat this for B vitamins and such my question is it good for brewing ? From my readings each beer deserves its owners in of yeast. But will this work for simple ales or sasions?

"Brewer's yeast," as sold in health food stores is actually dead yeast cells. The only use we have for it is adding it to the boil as a yeast energizer. We also call them yeast hulls or ghosts.

Well in addition to that a secondary question would be that I have a few packets of champagne yeast that may be appx. 3 years old would these be viable and for which applications?

Assuming they haven't been stored super hot, they would probably still have some viability. It would probably be best to rehydrate them before pitching. They are not really the appropriate type of yeast for making beer. The name "champagne" yeast is probably the first clue.

Back