Brewer's Friend - How incorporate post boil top up - All grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GPNewBrew

Reaction score
All,

After many extract brews, going to be starting my first all grain brew shortly, and have a question on how to set up my recipe in Brewer's friend. I am starting with 2.5 gallon batch size for a couple reasons, but one primary reason is that I am limited on boil size due to my Gigawort electric brew kettle (4.4 gal capacity). For my recipe, the adjusted boil size is 3.9 gallon for a 60 minute boil.

I'm worried about boil overs being so close to my brew kettle capacity, and I'm considering holding back a half gallon of water and topping up with this when I move the wort to the fermenter. This would give me about a gallon of head space in my boil kettle and some relief against boil over. The question is - how do I incorporate the top-up in Brewer's friend? Unlike Brewsmith, I can't find a place to add top-up water. It would be nice to be able to do that, so my water volumes are correct and my IBU calcs are more accurate, but I don't know how to do this. Should be a way to do this because this is a common practice in extract brewing.

Thanks, Gary

I use brewersfriend. You shouldn't need a top off water input. Just put your final water target into the field for batch size(fermenter) and adjust your grain bill accordingly to whatever OG you want and at the end of the boil top off to that amount. I recently did a batch like that where I had to add a bit of water at the end and hit my numbers on the dot.

It was just changed- like yesterday- to allow you to put your preboil volume and post boil volume on the recipe builder batch, and the batch size. So your IBU calculations should still be correct with the partial boil and topping up, and the OG and FG also should be correct.
upload_2019-8-21_16-46-34.png

I hope that helps!

Back