Brewers Edge Mash & Boil E4 Error (temp probe overheat)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c673986

Reaction score
I've used my Mash and Boil a few times now, and this weekend, I brewed a fairly thick (1.060) black ipa from all grain. During the boil, I kept getting the E4 code and had to constantly hit the reset switch. I even tried bumping my set temp down to 216. My wart was clear of any lose grain. I'd like to first try to bypass this temp cutoff switch. Looking for advice from anyone who has done this. I'm guessing I need to either bypass it or eliminate it from the circuit.

If this doesn't do the trick, I've got a full on PID/solid state relay that might have to get integrated into this guy.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1492489256.949840.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHome Brew1492489256.949840.jpg
    890.8 KB · Views: 358
I have used mine for 5 brews and never had the E4 code, Im wondering if you added some sugars to the boil if it caused the code, or maybe a hop bag.

The big problem i have is the over shooting on mash temps when heater kicks on, just bought some reflectix and am going to wrap it.

Also got a grainfather controller that i think im going to fit instead of the Mash and boil controller

Can i ask how fine do you crush your grains, i have to buy mine crushed at the moment, get from more beer usually not sure of there gap but wanting to know if a real fine crush would work on the unit

This was the first all grain run on it. I was a little unsure of the crush size myself, so I crushed the grain fairly fine and used a biab bag inside of the the grain basket the mash and boil comes with. The crush wasn’t nearly as fine as i had run with biab before. I did not have the error code during the mash. Wort was clean of husks. I did throw the bittering hops straight in, 1oz., and the rest of the hops where in a bag.

Just an FYI...I've brewed 6 times with the mash and boil myself. The last two times (Friday and Saturday) I had the same thing happen to me. First night I thought it was the hops bag and switched side of the kettle it was on for the second night. Still kept getting the E4 error. I am returning it for a new one today...$299 is too much to spend on something that isn't working properly.

I’ve done an extract brew with quite a bit of mini mash grain and did have any problems. I think it may not have liked the thickness of my mash the last time with the all grain. I am a little gun shy though, which is why I’d just rather bypass the temp prob cut off.

Back