Brewers Best Black IPA - Turned out great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigKing

Reaction score
I picked up a Black IPA kit from my local shop and brewed it a couple weeks ago. My OG was pretty close to what the kit stated. I kept it in my primary for 7 days, then transferred to my secondary for 21 days. I think I added an extra 1oz of hops during the secondary, but can't remember for sure. (Should have written it down). My FG wasn't as close as the kit said it would be. I think I only came in around 5%ABV.

I used DME to carbonate my beer and it is conditioning right now. Even though its only been 6 days, I put one in the fridge and sampled it last night. It was great! It was already started to carbonate! It had a great smell and appearance. The taste was good, perhaps a little more bitter than I expected. Possibly from the extra hops used, but still tasted great.

I will more than likely buy another Black IPA kit, or try to make my own recipe for another black IPA again soon. :mug:

Good to hear. I'll tell my class - most make BB kits their first time out, and everything except for the red ale has been good (the red ale needs either more hops to take it in an American direction, or more maltiness/fruitiness to take it in an Irish direction).

If you'd like to brew a non-kit, but already assembled, black IPA recipe, you might check out Scooby Brew's Darth Vader, Sherpa FE's Blackout Rye DIPA, or Brrman's Heavenly Scourge.

how much dme did you use to carbonate ive never tried it but always wanted too .. and what kind of specialty grains the the kit include??

I just bought this Black IPA extract kit at my local brew store and hope to brew in the next few days. I know this thread is old but will give my thoughts once it is finished.

I made that kit as my 6th batch, and I dry hopped it with an oz or so of hops. I'd have to go and look at my notes. I think I have 20 or so left. My only change would be to dry hop a little heavier. BB kits have been good to me, but I wish I had ventured in BIAB sooner instead of quite a few of their kits. I am glad I started with them, easy and complete for a beginner.

I picked up a Black IPA kit from my local shop and brewed it a couple weeks ago. My OG was pretty close to what the kit stated. I kept it in my primary for 7 days, then transferred to my secondary for 21 days. I think I added an extra 1oz of hops during the secondary, but can't remember for sure. (Should have written it down). My FG wasn't as close as the kit said it would be. I think I only came in around 5%ABV.

I used DME to carbonate my beer and it is conditioning right now. Even though its only been 6 days, I put one in the fridge and sampled it last night. It was great! It was already started to carbonate! It had a great smell and appearance. The taste was good, perhaps a little more bitter than I expected. Possibly from the extra hops used, but still tasted great.

I will more than likely buy another Black IPA kit, or try to make my own recipe for another black IPA again soon. :mug:

Next time just leave it in your primary for the 21 days (or less, I've done 10 days with good results). There isn't any good reason to secondary unless you have a secondary fermentation from adding more sugars via fruit, ect. All you do by moving to secondary is increase the opportunity for infection and add oxygen at the wrong time.

Latest posts

Back