Breweries and Craft Brew Pubs in Minneapolis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTXBrauer

Reaction score
Hello HBT Brethren....I am headed to Minneapolis this week, and I am in need of some recommendations for breweries to visit, and pubs with a great selection of local craft beer. I will be working and staying close to the airport, so anything close by would be ideal. Thanks! Doug.

It depends on what you mean by close. I would try to get to Surly Brewery, but its always busy and not that close to the airport. Definitely try the Surly Furious on tap. Its served in most places. Also, Northern Brewer LHBS is a few miles from the airport.

Not sure how close it is to the airport, but I enjoyed Town Hall Brewery when I was in town a couple months back. Good selection of beer on tap and likely have a few options on cask. Tried a few different beers and liked them all.

Also stop by The Four Firkins bottle shop if you are looking for some beers to take with. Good selection and an awesome staff.

Not sure how close it is to the airport, but I enjoyed Town Hall Brewery when I was in town a couple months back. Good selection of beer on tap and likely have a few options on cask. Tried a few different beers and liked them all.

Also stop by The Four Firkins bottle shop if you are looking for some beers to take with. Good selection and an awesome staff.

Sadly the Firkins is no more

Thanks for the quick responses! I have heard of Surly Brewing Co before. I will have a rental, and willing to travel from the A/P area for a good beer. :mug:

Surly and Town Hall are by the U of M campus, and there are a bunch of breweries in NE Mpls-Fair State Brewing Co-operative, Dangerous Man, Indeed. Fulton taproom is by the Twins stadium on the west edge of downtown.
A nice little brewpub is Northbound Smokehouse on 38th St and 28th Ave, an easy drive from the airport. They have a tasty porketta sammich.
All of these places are an easy drive from the airport area.

Thanks singybrue...Looks like Northbound Smokehouse Brewpub will be a definite stop both the beer and cuisine.

If you have a car, check out Happy Gnome in St Paul - nowhere has more craft beer on tap. Northeast Minneapolis has the highest concentration of craft brewery taprooms - if you like Belgians, check out Boom Island. Also NE is Sociable Cider Werks, Indeed, 612, Dangerous Man, Brau, etc, etc. Surly is certainly the flagship, and you can even get there by light rail, which might prove useful after a couple.

Hope you enjoy Minneapolis!

The light rail that runs from the airport can get you to the UM campus, very near to Surly and Town hall (different stops) and you won't have top worry about parking or driving. Can also get you to the Twins game where there is usually a good supply of local brew in cans and on tap.

Northbound has GREAT wings.

How was your trip to the mini-apple?

My time after work was well spent, but too short of course. I do appreciate the recommendations you all shared. I did make it over to the Northbound Smokehouse and enjoyed both their Big Jim IPA and Smokehouse Porter with the suggested Porketta Sandwich. It was a perfect evening outside on the patio to take in a beer and good food. Their Belgian Strong (Bridge Hanger) was also mighty tasty.

The second night, I made my way over to St Paul, to the Happy Gnome. HG's selection of both beer and cuisine was on the mark. If you ever get there, try the duck burger with feta. (I will go there again just for this burger alone. :)) I really enjoyed the local RIS fermented with coffee "War & Peace" from Fulton Beer Co. The variety of beer HG has on tap is vast, with something for everyone. I tried several different styles available, enjoying everything from the Chouffe Houblon (Tripel) to the Surly Furious (IPA).

I will plan for some additional down time to get out and see the sights next time at MSP. Again thanks for the suggestions. They were well worth it. :mug:

Back