Brewed Tonight!!! Dumping into Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckrox8

Reaction score
So I brewed my first beer tonight. Woohooo :ban: After chilling my wort to around 80F I was ready to dump it into my primary. I have a giant strainer that I used to cover my primary bucket. It accumulated a bunch of beer gunk on it. Is this normal? Did I do this step right?:mug:

Sure, as long as you were strict with your sanitation. That gunk won't hurt your beer, but it's fine to get rid of it, especially if you are skipping the clearing stage. Congrats on your first beer! :mug:

Chuckrox8 said:
So I brewed my first beer tonight. Woohooo :ban: After chilling my wort to around 80F I was ready to dump it into my primary. I have a giant strainer that I used to cover my primary bucket. It accumulated a bunch of beer gunk on it. Is this normal? Did I do this step right?:mug:

What type of brew are you making?:confused: I'm currently making my first batch of american honey wheat but did not use a strainer. I simply poured it in the plastic to aerate it. It is now about to go into secondary, so it will be interesting to see how each of ours brews turn out. I think if you are brewing a lager or light ale, you probably went the right route. Let me know how it continues

I always strain going into the fermenter, but you won't hurt your beer if you don't. There are a couple of reasons I do this- first, to aerate the beer better. I also like to end up with 5 gallons of beer and so I strain out the "gunk" and top off to 5.25 gallons or so. I still get trub of course, and rack above it to secondary, but I notice I have less trub. I think a majority of us strain it, but it's not really a big deal.

Lorena

i have brewed 2 beers so far. one has been bottled and the other is still in primary getting ready to be racked tomorrow or possible the next. i strained both of my beers. i am not sure, but i think the more "stuff" you remove the better your beer will be at the end. maybe????:mug:

Nice. I am brewing a Fat Tire Amber Ale clone. I just checked the fermentor and she's bubbling. Man it is going to be hard to wait this long to taste it.

Chuckrox8 said:
Nice. I am brewing a Fat Tire Amber Ale clone. I just checked the fermentor and she's bubbling. Man it is going to be hard to wait this long to taste it.

I know, man!!!!:( I have to get home everyday and just look at it. I've still got 10days before bottling, and all I want to do is have one. Keep in touch because we should be cracking our first brew at the same time.
Someone on another forum said that only a new brewer can appreciate (and want to consume) hydrometer wort. It tastes so good. :D

I brewed tonight as well. My first Porter. Also instead of straining into the primary like usual I whirlpooled and siphoned into my primary(also for the first time). I couldnt get all the wort with the siphon so what little bit was left in the pot I poured through the strainer and got maybe 1/2 gallon or so. I topped off to 5.5 gallons then oxygenated(also for the first time) and pitched. I can not wait to try it out. A few firsts tonight so it will be interesting to see how it turns out compared to some of my other brews.

Back