Brewcipher for iMac???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turfgrass

Reaction score
unfortunately I’m all Mac at home and can only use brewcipher at work. Is there a Mac version or can it be somehow be formatted from excel/open office to iMac? Thank you.

I have never used this software but if you mean this:

http://www.smallbatchbru.com/blog/brewcipher-spreadsheet-will-need-brew-day/

The download page has both an .xls file for Excel and an .ods file for OpenOffice which should work on the mac. You can also get Microsoft Excel for the Mac which should work with the xls file as well. The .ods file is your best bet if you don't own Office for Mac though.

Or have a look at Brewers Friend, in my opinion a much nicer interface and works across all platforms equally being a web based solution. I use it from desktops, laptops, mac, windows and phones whenever i need to see a recipe or have a new idea. Never got the hang of the old style BeerSmith interface and UI/UX quirks.

Seems like BrewSmith and Brewer’sfriend are the most popular. I’ll have to do a search on the pros and cons for each program. Does Brewer’sfriend help with calculating a custom water profile?

Yes, Brewers Friend has a fantastic water calculator. You can see it here:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/

I believe you can use most of their calculators for free, but to save more than a few recipes you have to sign up for the product.

Edit:
I should have remembered to also declare my non-affiliation and my fanboy status as a customer of Brewers Friend.

Last edited:
I have no affiliation with Beersmith, just a satisfied customer.
I can tell you they port the app to Windows, Linux, and Mac, and they also have mobile Apps for iPad/iPhone, and I believe Android devices. Recipe design is nice, and you can upload recipes to the Beersmith cloud so that you can access them w/ your phone when shopping, or share them with your buddies, or the Beersmith community. The applications are stand-alone, so an internet connection is not necessary, and they also have timers so you can use them during brew day for mashing, and hop additions .

Back